salisbury_landscaping

Laid Sod vs. Artificial Turf

Recently we asked if low maintenance gardens or high maintenance gardens were preferred. The results showed that the majority would prefer to have the low maintenance gardens. Is artificial turf preferred also to limit the time spent in the garden?
Artificial Turf
Laid Sod

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Gravitas
    9 years ago
    It depends to some degree on the climate. We are in a high desert in Boise and have to irrigate our lawns so there is some advantage for artificial here vs. Portland or Seattle where there is no need for irrigation.
    Salisbury Landscaping thanked Gravitas
  • PRO
    Salisbury Landscaping
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    For sure, irrigating is one of the main reasons for considering artificial turf. But for many people maintenance is becoming a larger factor. Many new lots today, where we are in Alberta, are becoming quite small and having to mow a small space is a nuisance.
  • PRO
    Salisbury Landscaping
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Very true Chuck, there are many factors that play a role in the decision to go with sod or artificial turf.
  • PRO
    Chuck B Edwards Landscape Architecture & 3D
    9 years ago
    Sherwood Park!! - I am originally from Edmonton/Stony Plain, Alberta! Small world!!
  • delyanks
    9 years ago
    Artificial grass. Gross! That stuff can get really hot too. A lot hotter than normal grass. There's nothing better looking than a well manicured lawn. I guess you can sweep the artificial grass but you can't get patterns like real grass. To me there is no such thing as low maintenance gardens other than concrete.
    Salisbury Landscaping thanked delyanks
  • PRO
    Allentuck Landscaping Co.
    9 years ago
    I can understand using artificial turf in arid areas where water supply is an issue but real grass is also important for its water filtering and cooling abilities. It also reduces the carbon footprint. On the flipside, irresponsible pesticide, fertilizer and machine use is a negative.
    Salisbury Landscaping thanked Allentuck Landscaping Co.
  • PRO
    EasyTurf
    9 years ago
    I used to be a staunch sod supporter - what turned me around specifically was the environmentally friendly aspect of EasyTurf - the water saved (up to 70 percent of household water is spent on lawns), the chemical aspect .... EasyTurf is made of recycled products .... honestly, the ability to have a lush green lawn year round without the maintenance came second in my book ... I love the stuff so much, I joined the company.
    Cheers!
    George
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/164936/easyturf-poolside
    Salisbury Landscaping thanked EasyTurf
  • PRO
    Global Syn-Turf - Artificial Grass Supplier
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree with Salisbury Landscaping; artificial turf certainly has its place.

I also agree with Chuck B. Edwards. Especially recently, artificial turf vs. natural sod has become an emotional topic. Proponents on each side are not without their prejudices. However, when weighing the two alternatives, the thing to keep in mind is the _function_ you want to derive from the space that you're surfacing. Every function has different criteria, and the criteria will dictate whether to plant natural or artificial grass.

delyanks, is it fair to call artificial grass a "happy medium" between concrete and natural grass? That is to say that, on the one hand, a natural grass yard is a resource hog, but, on the other, concrete isn't soft enough to accommodate the most common domestic recreational activities (e.g. soccer, slip 'n' slide); hence, artificial grass affords the best of both extremes: it's low maintenance just like concrete, but is yet cushioned enough for playing sports on -- and on top of that, it looks great year-round!

Allentuck Landscaping Co., what's your opinion on this: Real Grass Lawns Emit More Greenhouse Gases Than They Absorb?

• PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    9 years ago
    Artificial turf?!? No way!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.