azanhem

Chandelier advice

9 years ago
I want to switch the ceiling fan with a chandelier.Any advice for chandelier style.

Comments (61)

• 9 years ago
    Go on google and search PVC pipe chandelier. The concept is so unique and different and I think would give this room a really cool vibe.
  • 9 years ago
    Susan Bunn could you tell the name and brand of the chandelier in the first photo you suggested.I love it.
  • 9 years ago
    Here is a photo of the coffe table i bought for the room but now I am thinkng a squarenor round table would look better
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    ok, so here's the deal, the fan you have with the light probably hangs down 20" or so already, so if you want to to hang into the room be careful of the scale. this will hang over the coffee table, so you will want it to be sized correctly as not to be bulky in the room but not too small. have you done any measuring? how tall are the ceilings? im not big on the sphere fixtures, i dont think they will hold their style long. drum shade with a fixture inside like whisper posted would be best, any one of the three except the globe.
  • 9 years ago
    @Flair, can you make those bigger? :)
  • 9 years ago
    Ok i did not realize thatbi need to be aware of the scale..i thought since there is room for celing fan..there would be room for a bigger chandelier..i really like this one by Elk lighting but i am wondering if it is too big.
  • 9 years ago
    Also i have this chandelier in my dining room that does not look good there..could i bring it in this room
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    if i had a larger image file i could. of the room i mean... is this any better.. its hard to scale it to the room and make it visible with these fixture types. maybe groveraxel can
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    no that chandelier is no go........ again have you measured? measure the dining fixture and then go in the living room and hold the tape up see where it would fall.....also its approaching that builders look.
    Mena thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    That's a nice one Flair. Thanks, perfect. :)
  • 9 years ago
    This obviously calls for the Nelson saucer.
    Mena thanked groveraxle
  • 9 years ago
    Here is the photo of chandelier in the diming room
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    om goodness, i remember this room!!! now that you have taken a picture, get a measuring tape and measure it.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    @azebhem the starburst you posted is 36" in diameter with a minimum height of 19" (it's also out of stock until March on next year!) There is also a 26" with a minimum height of 17" in the same series and a bit less expensive.
    26" Starburst Chandelier · More Info

If you like the Starburst, the Sonne series also has similar characteristics and is 40" in diameter with a minimum install height of 20"
    Sonne Crystal Chandelier · More Info
    Mena thanked Whispar Design
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    It doesn't look like you have a lot of room for a tall chandelier. Be aware you need about 7'0" clearance from bottom of fixture to the floor. I would recommend a David Weeks piece with arms, they are sold at Pucci.
    Mena thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • 9 years ago
    Ok..i finally got to do measurements on the room.It has 9 ft ceiling height.The room is 13ft wide and 20 ft long.
  • 9 years ago
    The room has this one very large 20 ft bare wall that i am hoping after i find the right chandelier,i could find a complimenting wall art for.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    With 9' ceilings that will leave you with a max drop of 24" to be at the 7' threshold. Keep this in mind when searching for fixtures.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    yep i was dead on 24 inches with no chain will bring you to 7 feet with out chain, so look for something that doesnt need much, or something shallow that can actually drop, like what grover posted. i would put in a new vent cover... flip this room! put the sofa on the long empty wall and the love seat on the window wall........please try it. having the L come out closer to the tv would be better anyway..... and having the window wall more open and the love seat with end tables will look much better.
  • 9 years ago
    I don't think you can flip the sofa and loveseat; the chaise is on the wrong side. But that long wall is going to be a problem. Any art that relates to the loveseat will be too small and it and the loveseat will look dinky. Can you give us a shot of the full length of the wall, even if you have to do it at an angle. I'd like to see from the corner to as far back as you can get into the frame.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Your space is so clean that I would not put a fan in but rather purchase a huge but flat modern OLED fixture to place there. Perhaps some dynamic art work on the walls would be a better focus for now. I would suggest the art first and then look at light fixtures. When you need a fan try a modern statuesque portable dyson circular fan. The spaciousness of the room would be interrupted by a chandelier, just as the fan does now. Check out the new OLED fixtures as they come into the marketplace. They are like contemporary art work.
  • 9 years ago
    The large bare wall
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    oh you have pendants right there...so glad to see this picture! are they a rootbeer color or a red color? and why does the end one look so much lower? large bare wall, three long big canvas prints.... what a bout a bent wood fixture...
  • 9 years ago
    I like the simplicity of the space. I think you should do something simple on the long bare wall. Simple, perhaps asymmetrical. Let me see what I can come up with here.
    Mena thanked groveraxle
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry it took so long. I don't know that either of these renderings exactly fit your aesthetic, but it's a difficult wall. The first may be too busy. The second has a live edge walnut floating shelf that would require the loveseat to float off the wall the width of the shelf. Don't know that you have enough space there.
  • 9 years ago
    Oh thank you groveraxle..that looks like the perfect idea for the wall..i could never have come up with it myself.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    are the pendant lights at different heights?
  • 9 years ago
    I don't remember why but i had asked the electrician to make the middle pendant a little higher than the two side ones.I thought it would look interesting..but i guess i should make them all same level now.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You can find here some ideas for chandeliers http://www.oroa.com/collections/ceiling-lamps
    Mena thanked OROA - Distinctive Furniture
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Not a bad thought but In this case probably so IMHO. If they were in a cluster, different heights could work.
    Menlow Park Pendant · More Info
    Mena thanked Whispar Design
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    yes thats why i asked. they should be at the same height in this area.
    Mena thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    I am thinking of getting this pair of wall art.Would it work in this room.It s from horchow.Its 33L and 29w.
  • 9 years ago
    And this chandelier and a small rug..or would it make the room go too traditional
  • 9 years ago
    Interesting choices. Not the direction I thought you were going at all. Live with the image awhile before you decide.
    Mena thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    how big are the frames on the art work? and i love that look. but now you might need to change the pendants.....
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    i like the look of this i am wondering what the wall unit for the tv would do if it was changed?
  • 9 years ago
    Oh the wall unit under the TV came off the wall and won't go up again so i have to find a new media center too
  • 9 years ago
    You are right Groveraxle..i am not liking the rug and the chandelier in the room too much.
  • 9 years ago
    I'd go for something quite modern. Maybe glass or crystals to add to the classy look.
  • 9 years ago
    OK, azanhem, I just took a quick stroll through the first part of your ideabook and the rooms you've saved look to be more transitional than the contemporary look you have here. So where do you want to go with this? You've taken the media cabinet down, you seem to lean transitional in your lighting choices... Are you looking for a wholesale change? Are you trying to get a more transitional look with the current sofas and window coverings? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • 9 years ago
    Maybe this is more the look you're going for?
  • 9 years ago
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Look at the Crystorama line of lighting. I see several light fixtures that will work. You should choose something with soft light and no glare. A 1 to 2 foot drop will give you the proper max height from the finished floor. The height of the fixture and ceiling height are factors as well. Rule of thumb unless it is a dining table it is hung over....7 1/2 feet AFF max drop. Libby Langdon has a new lighting line made by this company.
    Mena thanked Dorothy Durbin Interior Design
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would go with a brown, single chord, modern chandelier with circular lines as I show in the rendering. This room has a lot of very hard straight lines, which I like, and the circular shape of the lamp would only accentuate them. Rattan would be cool because it would bring a sleek feel but would also bring a cozy charm. I’d keep it centered on where I presume you will put a coffee table. I wouldn’t let it drop too far down so you don’t block the view of the TV. You wouldn’t have to worry about people hitting their heads because, once again, the presumed coffee table would be there. If you don’t have the coffee table picked out I would go with a dark chocolate color with straight edges, preferably something natural like maybe a very rustic table. I would then add some brownish pillows…all different shades of brown and perhaps a few blue ones in there for good measure. If you have room on the left wall i would go with a painting that has blues, tans, and browns to tie it all together. Good luck! :)
    Mena thanked Balber Architecture, Inc.
  • 9 years ago
    Keep in mind you don't want the fixture to dominate the room and take away from your view of the TV.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    i really like the gold one. i think it looks fancy but not to formal. tho i do see some Moroccan flair.... and yes Grover.. i was thinking a light would console, or black. i love the pillows you added!
  • 9 years ago
    Here is a photo of media center i like.But what chandeliercwould complement it.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    love that! does it fit between the windows? if you go gray i think you should go silver with the fixture black or white hahaa. i think that console might be too long, but i like the color!
  • 9 years ago
    No. Your room is warm, and that media cabinet is cool. It becomes a discordant element in the space.
    Mena thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    6 years ago

You can see the chandeliers on the site http://alumcommerce.com/

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.