rezmobb

Kitchen Counter -- Quartzite v. Soft Quartzite

rezmobb
9 years ago
Hi,

I was looking into the differences between regular (or hard) quartzite and what is known as "soft" quartzite and I was hoping someone here with experience could help me out.

Is my understanding correct that the "soft" means the stone is actually less hard, so the properties of the "soft" quartzite are less like a harder stone such as granite?

Would a soft quartzite be more susceptible to etching than a regular/hard quartzite?

Thanks!

Comments (199)

• ioantigone
    3 years ago

No Michael King, but I’d love to see a photo of it if you could post it!

• Michael Krug
    3 years ago

Going to install on Wednesday

• ioantigone
    3 years ago

Beautiful!

• Michael Krug
    3 years ago

They say its quartzite but they only sell to fabricators. I hope its the real deal for the price.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Michael: "Hope" is not a criteria for a satisfactory countertop experience. "Test personally" is.

• Marguerite Mastromatto
    3 years ago

How is everyone testing their stones? I have been to several stone centers and no one has given me a sample. The slabs are all lined up in nicely lit warehouses, but there is no sample bin.

• karin_mt
    3 years ago

That looks more like marble or dolomitic marble to me. Reminiscent of Super White.

It's hard to tell from a photo, though.

DIY testing guidelines are here: https://usenaturalstone.org/how-to-be-your-own-stone-sleuth/

• Michael Krug
    3 years ago

Thanks I will test on

• reneecricket
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

sandscotto I wondered if you have any other photos of your kitchen? That quartzite you call White Macabus looks identical to my Breccia Latte. Has it stood up pretty well with no scratching or stains? Also, I am having a hard time deciding what type of backsplash to use with that. Would love your comments or more photos.

• bignogginsfarm
    3 years ago

I don't understand. Are these dealers just sketchy or is there really this amount of mystery/confusion with rock? It seems like it should be as simple as, "It is, or it isn't." It's no different than going to a car dealer, paying for a Lexus and finding out you got a Toyota. Why aren't people allowed to "kick the tires" (aka, test the product) and assure that what they are buying is what they THINK they are buying.

Seriously, not sure to be shaking my head or starting an industry standard board.

• Marguerite Mastromatto
    3 years ago

@bignogginsfarm There also seems to be a difference in how customers purchase stone in different parts of the U.S. Some posters have said they purchase the slab from the stone supplier, and then their fabricator picks it up and they pay for fabrication. Where I live, customers go to a stone supplier and pick a stone. The stone center contacts the customer's fabricator on the choice. The fabricator provides pricing to the customer, and the stone supplier delivers the stone. The good stone suppliers stand by their product, but my fabricator said there are some that do not. Knowledgeable stone suppliers should know what they are selling, but they also need to know what they are buying from wholesalers who may also be mislabeling the stones.

• clubnev
    3 years ago

Having remodeled three times and been to several stone yards, there's definitely a difference in customer service. I've found most are just wanting to wow you and sell you something. They leave it to the fabricator to tell you what your stone really is or what flaws it has. That's understandable because at least in this area, most yards are wholesale. One stone yard here has steered me away from many a stone - she'll say - look this has a crack running through it, you can only use half of it, stuff like that. That's not the norm. Some yards put their own name on a stone to make it seem exclusive. My fabricator has talked me out of several stones for one reason or another. A good fabricator is a must. It's more than their ability to cut - a good one will tell you pros and cons of each type of material, and why or why not it will work for your project.

Perla Venata is stunning. We went with a lighter version of Taj Mahal. I couldn't be happier with it. No etching no stains, no flaws, nothin. I don't let anything sit and I keep it clean but it's been really easy. Mind you, I went from cheap Formica counters to Quartzite. Quite a difference! .

• Mags H.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am considering San Simmone which almost looks like a black and white marble. I was first told it was a granite, but then it was classifed as a soft quartzite that behaves more like a marble. Has anyone come across San Simone or had any experience with it? This particular San Simone comes from India.

• sylvermoon
    3 years ago

My La Dolce Vita is holding up fine. I was upset when we first got it and I realized it had gotten a ring on it from olive oil and yes it was sealed. We had them buff it and reseal. I can see a shine in that area since it is a leathered stone. I’m just careful to wipe up right away, also we are careful about olive oil. And certainly wine. I have a Matt Quartz elsewhere in my kitchen and it’s a nightmare to get marks off of it.

• HU-302830378
    3 years ago

Hello all I am considering buying Cristalita blue quartzite. I know it has more of the crystal-like appearance in which light will shine through but have to find out if it is soft quartzite. Does anyone on here know? It is definitely not cheap but the colors are amazing!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

You have to test in person. Rummage around here and you'll find out how.

• Chessie
    3 years ago

HU-302830378 - the above advice is correct. You MUST test. That slab you have fallen in love with has been asked about before, here in the forum. Personally I was considering a similar slab when I was looking for countertops - and the one I tested scratched easily, so I crossed that off my list. However others have had success with the slab they chose. You really have to do the work and test the slab.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3170979/ice-crystal-quartzite

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5349052/all-quartzite-countertop-users-help-please#n=118

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4769032/do-you-like-cristallo#n=21

• HU-94331187
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Does anyone know if this Savoie Quartzite is hard or soft? I purchased the slab from Dal Tile and did not even know to ask. Did not know about the staining either. Does anyone have experience with this color of quartzite?? Will be installed next week in my kitchen.

• Penny S
    2 years ago

Please let me know how your Savoie Quartzite holds up as I am considering it also!

• HU-94331187
    2 years ago

so far so good but it's only been 2 months. Have splashed water and colored food on it with no problem. I do beleive Dal Tile told me it can only be considered "hard".

• sylvermoon
    2 years ago

And what did you take that to mean? i never heard that unless soft means soft like marble i have quartzite.

• HU-647459265
    2 years ago

Does anyone have any knowledge of this stone? It is labeled White Noir at Daltile and listed as a quartzite. It comes from Italy and is part of the Antolini collection. On Antolini’s website, it is called Bianco Glazed and listed as a soft quartzite. Hopefully I can go back to Daltile on Monday to perform a scratch test, but I’m wondering if anyone has any helpful information about about this stone before then. Thanks!

• Chessie
    2 years ago

No such thing as a "soft quartzite". That is a marble.

• karin_mt
    2 years ago

I have direct experience with "Bianco Glazed" aka "White Noir" and I've done thorough testing on it. It is dolomitic marble. It is not quartzite. Daltile should know better - they are misrepresenting that stone if they're calling it quartzite.

• mnmom80
    2 years ago

I've been reading all these past posts as I'll soon be selecting for a new build. One of the big confusions is the various names the different stone holding warehouses assign to the quartzite. If they just had one name for the same quartzite everywhere that would be so helpful. Instead you're stuck trying to figure out if "Silverado" is the same as "Grey Canyon", etc. Learning a lot, though, so thank you all!

• HU-647459265
    2 years ago

Thank you karin_mt. That is very dissapointing to hear that White Noir is dolomitic marble. Would you ever use this material in a kitchen or is it too prone to staining and etching?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

I wouldn't do business with liars.

• karin_mt
    2 years ago

I agree with Joseph on that one. To my eye, it's a really bad practice to misrepresent a stone when it only takes a few minutes to correctly identify it. If a shop isn't willing to take that most basic step, it's hard to have confidence in anything else they do.

"HU," would I use dolomitic marble in a kitchen? It depends. If this was the only way to get the look I wanted, and if I didn't mind etching, then sure. But if this were me, I'd have a hard time overcoming the fact that the seller is incorrectly representing their product. I would go elsewhere and spend my hard-earned money with an operation that demonstrates more competence.

• auntiemomog
    2 years ago

Can anyone tell me … is Latte Quartzite a hard or soft quartzite? We had it installed 4 months ago and it is already staining.. water stains around sink cuts and oil stains next to cuts on either side of the stovetop. It is not staining anywhere else (on the surface). I understand that some quartzite is more porous than others but this slab passed the scratch and the acid test, unfortunately we were not allowed to take a sample home and do the water test. The fact that it is only staining along the cuts that our fabricator made leads us to believe it hasn’t been sealed properly along the edges. Are we wrong???

• Chessie
    2 years ago

auntiemomog Please post pictures of your issue.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

auntie:

The problem is the stoners name everything differently. You can't go by name; you have to test every slab.

• mariachristinar
    2 years ago

Wow, lots of info to process on this forum. We are considering new kitchen perimeter counter (with sink), island (with cooktop and step up) and bar (with sink). Considering Taj Mahal quartzite, Perla Venata quartzite, or Cristallo quartzite. Of the 3 listed can someone share an opinion regarding the most durable? We will be testing the slabs to the best of our ability. We currently have 26 year old dark granite and no problems. We have 3 young children and 2 older children, we need durability.

We will need a new sink as well, considering an Elkay Quartz Luxe. Is there an advantage to using an apron front and single bowl versus an undermount & double bowl? Also should we try for a sink deck? Sink caninets are 48 inches wide. 25 inches deep.

Cabinets will be refaced, color changed to Sherwin Williams Panda White (the same as our walls)

Thank you for any input, the kitchen remodel is a new experience for us.

• Pia R
    2 years ago

Perla Venata is holding up well for us. It is very forgiving and doesn’t stain easily. Any minor stains look as part of the stone.

Re. Sink - we replaced a double sink with a single sink. I had my concerns, but I’d go for single sink again! It’s comfortable and spacious.

• PRO
    The Worktop Library
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi everyone,

As a general guideline, you will notice that the darker the quartzite, the more impact-resistant it becomes.

As quartzite stones get lighter, they have higher crystalline minerals (=glassy) content, making them more brittle than, for example, black quartzite.

Another critical factor about white quartzite is that some types may contain carbonate minerals that can 'etch' to acid exposure. Stone exporters use different commercial names for natural quartzite stones, which sometimes have dolomite or marble (instead of quartzite), adding to the confusion.

Dark quartzite= is more lava-like, with little or no calcium.

White quartzite= is more marble-like (some types may contain calcium).

The best way to know if your quartzite can etch, scratch, or stain is by getting a sample and carrying out your own tests:

1. Hit your sample edge with a tool.
    2. Cut a lemon in half and let it sit for an hour.
    3. Stain it with ketchup, wine, soy sauce, etc.
    4. Next, grab your car keys and try to scratch its surface.
    5. Make sure your sample is part of the quartzite slab/block you intend to purchase.

I hope it helps!

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    9 months ago

Has any one heard of Grigo Fantasy? It is lableled as a soft quartzite.

• PRO
    The Worktop Library
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Hi Business_Name_Placeholder,

Grigio Fantasy is a natural stone sourced from Namibia and classified as Dolomite. Dolomite combines the calcitic minerals found in marble with the durability of granite.

However, if you intend to utilize it as a kitchen worktop or bar countertop, we strongly recommend requesting a sample from your supplier for etching and staining tests.

Cutting a lemon in half and placing it on the sample's surface for a few hours allows you to determine its susceptibility to acidic substances, known as etching.

I hope this is helpful!

Maria at The Worktop Library

• Dawn
    5 months ago

Pia R we are thinking about getting Perla Ventata. Can you please share pictures of your countertops? Also, I know pictures sometimes misrepresent the colors so can you describe the colors as well. I am looking for a more white base with subtle creams/peach or grey swirling through stone. You already mentioned you are not having any issues,is that still the case?? The fabricator told me they make people sign s waiver if they get marble or quartzite....is that normal??

• Pia R
    5 months ago

Perla Venata is holding up very well. I bought but have not used the sealer as the stone is just doing great at rejecting stains - this is a big deal with turmeric, chili powder, etc. I didn’t have to sign any waiver. But I can understand concerns about marble. Quartzite behaves very differently from marble.
    Re. Color, it’s a combination of white, cream, and grey all in subtle shades as the base. Rust, green colors are subtly distributed. I’ll see if I can get photos later.

• Pia R
    5 months ago

Hope this helps

• Pia R
    5 months ago

Book-matched waterfall is barely noticeable as the veins are subtle

• Dawn
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Pia R Wow, the fabricator did a great job! How did you decide on fabricator, i am so nervous they will screw up the stone. I asked one for a mitered edge(like a thicker edge around island) and they told me the stone is too fragile to do that and cost would be high? That did not give me the warm and fuzzy and I have seen many pics online with the thicker edges..? I was looking at cristallo too, actually found slabs i love, but the finish is very shiny and I was wondering what it would look like leathered...some i have seen smooth and other pitted(not a fan). How can i find a sample of leathered in cristallo?

The Worktop Library How can i find a sample of leathered in cristallo?

• Pia R
    5 months ago

I selected the fabricator who partnered with the cabinet maker, found via yelp reviews. The thickness of the edge shouldn’t be an issue, its more a personal preference. Talk to a few people and get different estimates to find your right person. I’ll let other experts answer your other questions.

• moscatolovr
    last month

Does anyone know anything about Fantasy Lux Quartzite? We were looking at purchasing it for our kitchen countertops. Is it a true quartzite and does anyone know if it is hard or soft? All of these threads are making me nervous about staining and it being porous. The stone warehouse did not have a sample to provide me with. Thank you !!

• moscatolovr
    last month

Here is a picture of the fantasy Lux

• clubnev
    last month

I think the term “soft quartzite” is a bunch of nonsense. It’s a marketing gimmick so they can charge more. Just my two cents.

It’s either quartzite or it is not. Soft quartzite is usually combination of marble and other rock types. If you have a good fabricator that uses a good sealer, I wouldn’t worry much about it being porous. That’s also the best person to tell you what your product really is.

If this is quartzite, the big thing you want to look for is if there’s any cracks. Quartzite is very hard thus making it harder to cut without it shattering. If there’s a fissure going through it, the whole thing can just fall apart when it is cut. That’s the main reason why it’s more expensive to fabricate than other products. Hopefully you can have your fabricator inspect it, and give you their opinion before you commit to buy it.

It will look stunning.

• PRO
    The Worktop Library
    last month

Hi @moscatolovr,

Fantasy Lux Quartzite is a natural stone from the Region of Vittoria in Brazil and a genuine quartzite material. It is typically available in polished, honed, or brushed finishes and 2—and 3-cm thick slabs.

1. 'Soft' and 'Hard' are not valid terms for quartzite because if a stone is a quartzite, it is always hard (6-7 on Moh's scale of mineral hardness).
    2. Those who call a quartzite 'hard' or 'soft' may do so because of its susceptibility to etching with acidic substances. Generally, 'the whiter the quartzite', the more likely it is to stain, as it may, in fact, be a Dolomite stone instead.
    3. Quartzite does not contain significant amounts of calcium carbonate, the mineral reacting to acid substances, but Dolomite generally has a 60% content.

I recommend testing a small sample before purchasing the slab.

I hope this helps!

Fantasy Lux Quartzite

• jason7370
    last month

We love our Quartzite. Taj Mahal is color and it took years to find the right slab

• clubnev
    last month

I had Taj Majal also. It's a beautiful stone. Wanted to do it again when we moved but could only find darker slabs. I think the good ones are mined out. Yours is stunning!

• jason7370
    last month

Thanks! Yea, I wasn't lying when I said it took YEARS to find the right slab. Most were too dark like you mentioned.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.