horselover222

Should I hire somebody to do my landscape around my soon to be pool?

horselover222
9 years ago
The underground pool is not installed yet! This photo is also not exactly what it will look like.
Yes!
No!
Other advise please!

Comments (24)

• horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Need to know!
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    please provide a photo of your yard in order to determine answer to your question.
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The pool will be round and pretty large! They are installing it in April. Currently there is snow where I live so this is the best I could do!
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I live in the country as well so there will not be a fence around the pool! I will have tables and chairs surrounding and a modern round fire pit!
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There will be concrete surrounding the pool
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    It appears you have virtually no landscaping what so ever currently. Very nice piece of land though! I would hire a professional to give you an idea of what would work best around the pool. You can do that even now as long as you have the details of the pool finalized.

Adding a pool and full landscaping is quite expensive. It might be a good idea to discuss putting in landscaping over time and get some guidance on what should be done first. i.e. hard scaping this year along with the pool. You may find you are able to do some of the work yourself, once the paths, decking, pool surround, or whatever you choose, are in. You'll also want to see how your current outdoor furniture and grill fit into the area when plans are being drawn up.

Next item would probably be trees and shrubs as they will take the longest to mature and smaller trees & shrubs are far less expensive than larger ones.
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I don't plan on trees so much! More shrubs and flowers!
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    As for the landscaping, in my experience: avoid anything with flowers because of the bees and wasps, avoid anything with thorns. the best ones are grasses which do not dirty the eater. Post pictures, in your landscape it will be stunning> Looking forward to see the pictures in april. Good luck
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay that does not sound good! I will install a fence!!!
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Bees and wasps don't scare me! I'm not city folk!
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    okay country girl/boy ;-) Then I love the combination of roses, catmint and tall ornamental grasses. BTW I am in the Hudson valley. Not exactly city. 6 acres. Yet around a pool the wasps are quite something.
    Pool & Pool House · More Info
    Fenske Pool · More Info
    Pool Makeover by Shirley Bovshow of EdenMakersBlog.com · More Info
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love all the links! Thanks!
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That first link we practically have that growing in our backyard already! Maybe fancy looking weeds! Lol:)
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    Fencing is expensive. Not sure what kind of wild life you have around your area, but an inexpensive fencing could be hidden by grasses, shrubs etc. It would also define the area and keep unwanted critters from falling into your pool.

Are you sure you don't want one or two trees in the distance to bring more definition into the pool area making it more of a "destination". Kind of give it that "secret garden" feel to it by visually framing the area.

It appears you have a prairie type view. Not sure where you're located. I have those too in the US upper Midwest and truly enjoy them. But...for a pool, I'd want it to feel more like a tropical getaway.

This is YOUR pool though, so you need to do what feels good to you. And, you know the likelihood of area children or animals accidently happening by and falling in.

I look forward to your before, during and after photos and the transformation begins!
  • granny4ten
    9 years ago
    Bees and wasps are not good near the pool if you have kids or friends visiting. You may like bees but most people don't. Everywhere I lived, a fence was a requirement by law.
  • PRO
    Kemora Landscapes
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Wow you have a great piece of land that you're working with! I would definitely recommend talking with a landscape company. Whether it's to get a full finalized plan, or to just hash out your ideas and get some advice. They'll work with you around you're time schedule. It can't hurt and will only help move you forward with your vision!

Also, if you have any concerns about the budget, I'd always recommend doing the landscaping in phases. After you install the pool, you'd want to start with the hardscaping. Then you can focus on the plants. First you would want to start with the structural elements, like trees and shrubs. Then adding a few flowering perennials to the mix (catmint, yellow yarrow, shasta daisy, liatris, etc...). Then you can incorporate more throughout the years!

Good luck! I am looking forward to see the transformation!
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Definitely have someone help with the landscape. This will make a huge difference in the overall appearance and mood of the exterior!
  • tcufrog
    9 years ago
    A good landscape architect or designer will be able to develop a multiyear plan that will help spread out the cost and commitment. He or she will also be able give some suitable pool fencing suggestions.
  • horselover222
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes I am adding fencing
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    I would hire a pro that can design the entire pool/ garden landscape and do it all together in one shot. Don't want to run the risk of things not meshing well nicely. Search for a pro in your area!
  • Desiree Schambach
    9 years ago
    I'd also recommend a fence. My aunt has a pool in the country and even with a fence unfortunately sometimes smaller animals and frogs tend to end up dead. The water attracts the animals and if you have a cover it can trick animals into thinking its land (happened to my aunt) and a deer tried walking on it and fell in. And since it looks like your starting landscaping from 0 I personally would hire someone to help you start off.
  • PRO
    Arbordale Landscaping
    9 years ago
    I would recommend having a landscape designer or architect come up with a plan. If you just hire a pool company and say "put it somewhere over there", there may not be any rhyme of reason to it and the pool company wont be concerned beyond building the pool. With a set of drawn plans, at least you can figure out where you will sunbath, eat outside, locate plant beds, add fencing etc. Without a plan I think you are taking a shot in the dark.

I would recommend hiring a landscape design/build firm to come up with the design and then build it for you. Make sure you know what you want regarding style, pool shape/size, and purpose (outdoor eating, sunbathing, reading etc) Profile local pros based on their past work. Look through Houzz for local pros!! Design/build is a great way to go because fees for hiring an independent landscape architect/designer can be expensive, and then you will have to go out and hire a contractor separately,. Then you will have to pay your independent designer 'project management fees which can be unnecessary and avoidable with a design/build company who doesn't charge extra because all of those services are internal.

If you were thinking about doing the patio yourself, think again. Depending on size, there are a lot of factors that go into building a patio. You have to ensure you excavate proper depth for compacted gravel and paver height. This means, a lot of material out, a lot of material in. Landscape construction is very laborious, and if not done correctly and with with the right tools, you will be calling a landscape contractor to come and fix it in a couple of years. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I feel it is important to consult a landscaping professional on new pool environments. Like it has been said previously, you want to make sure you incorporate all spaces that you want, and that they are in an area that makes sense. A landscaping professional will also be able to advise on proper plantings for the pool environment and your zone. There have been cases of roots interfering with pool walls (structural), and plantings too close to support equipment, not allowing for proper servicing and air flow. Ground water/run off water are also important topics to be clear on. They will be able to advise you if/how/where underground drainage needs to be utilized to take water away from the pool (ground water) and the rain/snow melt needs to drain to (run off). Here is one example on houzz i found: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-pool-rain-and-dirt-gets-in-the-pool-dsvw-vd~641691 It is a good thing when your pool professional can work with your landscaping professional. Remember, these are two different types of professionals. Good luck!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.