melanie_guthrie

Backyard Hot Tub

Melanie Guthrie
9 years ago
We have bought an incredible first home and are excited to add a hot tub, but need some design ideas on how to incorporate it into our existing space. We want it to be a relaxing space without breaking the bank. We are thinking of placing it to the right of the tiny patio and probably expanding the deck. I'm just having a hard time envisioning what would work. Totally open to suggestions!

Comments (6)

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Try to put it fairly close to the electric panel so when they run the power to the tub they don't have to go too far to hook it up. You will also have to have 200 amp service, as the hot tub should be 220 v., otherwise, your electric bill will be astronomical!
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Also, running the power and a sub-panel is a job for a licensed electrician, so it will be to code.
  • Melanie Guthrie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you! We are planning on putting it right next to the porch railing and taking that side's rail off. It doesn't snow super often in Portland, but it certainly gets cold and rainy! ;) Thanks for the tip Joseph. We are waiting on a licensed electrician to run the power for us. Any ideas for design out there?
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    You will def want a concrete slab poured to be sure it's level. Patio blocks would do if placed on proper base. (gravel, sand, blocks)
  • PRO
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc.
    9 years ago
    We agree that a concrete pad is best. For example, pavers can settle much more, potentially creating an uneven surface for the hot tub to sit on, which can have a negative effect on the hot tub's frame/structure. Be sure to read your owner's manual or consult with your local professional on this to avoid potentially voiding your hot tub warranty. The owner's manual should also have suggestions on concrete pad thickness. Happy hot tubbing!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.