kikio73

PLEASE HELP:) Need curtain, rod, and paint advice for master bedroom

kikio73
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I am cluless as to what curtains, rods and paint to use in my master bedroom. I ordered a white duvet and will eventually put some pillows and a throw on it. I would love advice for either curtains or fabric (i can make my own). I would need 17 yards of fabric so it has to be affordable. Paint color? Thank you sooo much!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    This looks Good , Ebony and Ivory . Since money is a Issue leave the drapes right now and live with it , once you have saved some then go ahead .
  • the_misfit
    11 years ago
    Wall color and curtain color are obviously interdependent. I really like what you have going on so far. What kind of colors did you have in mind for the walls? Bright? Bold? Pastel? I could see a cool gray to continue your monochromatic theme. But if monochrome is not a goal, just where you've defaulted to, then maybe color. Such as...hmm...Behr's "arctic shadow"? Or "water sprout"? Or "creamy orange"? (All of these are pastels.) Or if you want to go really intense, Benjamin Moore's "dark harbor" has really been a hit (see design-crisis.com, but note that she had it darkened). Of course, you have to try all of these out in the room first so you can see how they look in your light.

Curtains can be really expensive, but they don't HAVE to be, and you can usually find finished curtains for less than fabric would cost. For example, Ikea now has 100% cotton velvet curtains in medium gray for $50/pair. (They're Sanela, but the new colors aren't even on the website yet. I was just there the other week!) That means $150 for all your windows, but for curtains, that IS cheap :). World Market is currently having a big sale on a lot of their curtains, if you'd like something more flowery. These are currently on sale and available in a bunch of contemporary colors: http://www.target.com/p/target-home-faux-silk-window-panel/-/A-14006489. And these are a nice soothing, bedroom-appropriate color: http://www.target.com/p/target-home-leaf-jacquard-window-panel-blue/-/A-13301737.

Now, as to curtain rods - my main concern with those is that they are always overpriced! So far, I have been happiest with one I found at Ross (a discount store under the same management as TJMaxx and Marshall's), and I would recommend that over Target or Ikea for quality. Obviously selection is a finicky thing at those places. If your budget is more expansive, there is a good selection (including some sturdy and attractive pieces) at Home Depot and Lowe's, and it goes up from there :).
  • Ann Marin
    11 years ago
    Love it so far. Curtain panels (maybe introduce pattern there? ) and larger bedside lamps should do wonders.

LOVE your comforter!!
  • PRO
    Picked & Painted
    11 years ago
    I agree...What you have right now looks great. Add color with accessories. You have room at the end of the bed for a rug to add color and also with your pillows you mentioned adding can add color. You could also replace your lamp shades with a bold pop of color. I repaint furniture so I have to mention painting the nightstands....but I do like the black and gray!
  • Jo Allan
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    There are some great suggestions already. I will only suggest to ask yourself if you're a warm or cool person. Not on personality but in terms what environment you prefer. Do you like warm or cool climates...what's your true comfort zone? What type of feeling do you want when you walk into your bedroom? What direction does your window face, i.e., what type of light do you get? For me in our new house I listened/read designers/ experts giving similar advice and it made sense and really helped. Also, spent a lot of time doing searches on master bedrooms to,an idea for an overall vision...Houzz is great for that. We narrowed our choices down to warm neutrals, and incorporated Feng Shui as well. I hesitate to suggest a color because it's a very personal space and it should feel good to you. Your room is beautiful now so you obviously have great taste but I know picking a paint color can seem tough. Hope this helped somehow. Please post the after!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Your next step is deciding if you want to stay with a black/white palette or add a color or two. Then decide which color family you like. What other colors are in your home, for example.

NIce that you can sew your panels!
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    older post
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.