alexap

Why can't I pick a backsplash tile? Please help me, I am starting to r

alexap
9 years ago
I have been stalling my contractor because I can't make a decision and choose a tile for my backsplash. I fear that I can no longer keep him waiting so I basically have to make a decision tomorrow. Is anyone awake now, if so, please help me. I want to stay away from using multi-tone glass mosaics as many of my friends have them and I prefer not to have the same look. Of course, I don't want to break the bank but I am willing to spend up to 15.00 per square feet, if needed. The first picture is my inspiration look. The second picture is my current kitchen (there will be a chimney hood installed and the small cabinet will be removed). The third picture is a swirl tile I found that I thought I could use as an accent piece above the range and use subway tiles everywhere else. Please, please help me. Thank you SO much!

Comments (29)

• alexap
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I also thought about using an arabesque tile like this one
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    #1 in the hand picture above this one. And you can use this one here at stove.
  • mmdugaw
    9 years ago
    I share your angst, I think choosing a backsplash is one of the most difficult decisions to make. The area behind your stove looks to be about half of that in the inspiration photo, so I don't think those swirl tiles would look so great. Does your contractor know of any resources that could help you with this one? I have the glass mosaics and have to have countertops changed due to warranty issues and really didn't think of keeping mosaics. Your inspiration looks like a classic, look good for years choice-- a subway tile perhaps installed in a unique pattern? Don't make a hasty choice, be sure of what you want.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Personally, I'd go with the arabesque just because I'm not a fan at all of subway tiles. With the arabesque, I don't know that you'd need the feature piece unless you just really love it. If so, go for it.

Have you considered using the white swirl with the feature in the black swirl? I'm thinking that would be awesome!
  • PRO
    A'LLURE INTERIOR DESIGN BY RENE
    9 years ago
    alexap...Do you have under cabinet lighting? Do you want the backsplash to be your focal point or blend in with the cabinetry? Are the walls going to stay the color they are now?
    What is the material & color of the countertop around the perimeter?
  • tiggertoby
    9 years ago
    Keep it simple and classic - one day you will have to sell this home. Bring your color or design in with accents in the kitchen. Watch out for anything too busy. I like the arabesque (2nd) the plain subway (1st). Also your cabinets look to be a bit more of a creamy white than a bright white could be the photo . And your back counter tops have a multi-color look. Maybe ask your contractor about a color grout to add interest. Deep breath!
  • jojoroxs
    9 years ago
    I think if you box in the arabesque tile over your range( like your inspiration photo) and use the subway tile like you said would look pretty. Maybe even use the little black and white trim under your subway tile(in photo) as your box trim for the arabesque tile. Or just use a thin simple black trim around the arabesque tile. Not crazy about the swirl. Good Luck.
  • luvcolor10b
    9 years ago
    I would do just white subway tile with black grout. You could put the thin diamond border two bricks up from the bottom and it would look awesome. Don't like the swirl either. Keep us posted!
  • alexap
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you both for the feedback. This is really hard, I am normally very good at making decisions and knowing what I like or don't but I literally feel paralyzed to make a choice with this backsplash. Yes, I really want to keep the kitchen looking classic and timeless. I personally love the look of subway tiles, maybe I need to find a cream looking subway tile to blend better with the perimeter granite and use a dark grout to bring in the black island? What do you think? I really want to create an accent above the range so maybe the abaresque tile could go there or use a one-tone glass tile. I will post a picture of what it might look like. In terms of the cabinetry, yes, it is more ivory than white, the wall color is staying "as is" which is a light gray. I prefer that the backsplash and island become the focal points of the kitchen. I am posting a close up picture of the perimeter granite. I hope this helps you all get a better idea of the materials. Again, thank you so much. Your input is starting to make me feel better.
  • alexap
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry I meant to write "thank you all" not "thank you both"

Rene, yes, I plan on adding lights under the cabinets. I posted a picture of the perimeter granite above.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    If this was my Kitchen, I would add a little personality to the backsplash. You don't visually have a lot that will be exposed, so make it exciting. Your cabinets are all on one plane and your refrigerator takes up the bulk of one wall and the range & hood will be on the other. You have a lovely island that has a dark countertop and nothing to carry it visually on the perimeter...so you must bring the island color into the backsplash. Hopefully I selected the right examples for your viewing. These tiles were at Lowes for $10-$12 psf. Good Luck.
  • alexap
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rene, thank you for sharing the pictures. I love the subway tile used in a herringbone pattern. On the first picture, are you suggesting I use the glass tile as an accent above the range or all over?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Great thanks for the pictures. Your granite is more cream, very pretty! So this is what I suggest. I would run two rows of the black glass in your picture (break it up in rows - saves money and makes it custom) on the bottom all the way accross countertop. Also, create a picture frame with the black glass tile above stove and use the arebesque in the field (center) or another tile of your choice. Then I would add the subway tile (herringbone if you like it in picture above or bricklay everywhere else), but don't be ordinary with the subway tile, be creative. Add one row horizontally of black glass with every row of subway or every other row... or...at the begining and end of every subway tile vertically ... or ...about 8" up from counter add glass as an accent all through out perimeter. Finish off the outside edges of subway tile with two strips of vertical black glass
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    let me see if i can find some pics of what im thinking...give me a minute
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    here are some ideas
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    here are more ideas
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    here are some more
  • iofthebeholder
    9 years ago
    I love the subway tile in the herringbone pattern, and I would like to see the arabesque as a focal point over the stove. I am looking for ideas for my kitchen right now, and I am in love with this look. Adding a narrow border of the on-point squares would add punch! What great ideas I've gotten for my own project. Thanks everyone.
  • linlac
    9 years ago
    I agree with A'llure about adding color. Instead of using dark grout use a soft color in your tile. Just like your inspiration pic.
  • linlac
    9 years ago
    I found this picture with the arabesque as an accent. I don't like this combination. I like the herringbone if you're going with an accent. I do love the all arabesque tile. If you do a soft color I don't think you'll need an accent.
  • blonde08
    9 years ago
    Just finished my new home this is the back splash -- decided to go timeless.
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    Here is my choice. Your posting at 1:21 am... Use the white subway tile in a stacked pattern, not staggered, and add that darker, (is it pewter color?) small glass tile as a 3" trim border. Either just below or above your electrical outlets so the tile line is not broken. This will give you a good punch, without overdoing it.
    I would skip the swirly patterns, although I do love them.

I know it is a difficult choice, I am going through it now with a bathroom, and did last year with our kitchen.
    With a white kitchen and black counters, really, you can do almost anything and everything. Go with your gut and don't second guess your instinct. In the end it has to be your decision anyway, so we are just giving you ideas... A lot of them !
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    Other comment. Keep,the grout color the same as the tile. The white subway with dark grout is quite different than with white grout. You may not like it once done. I would not do that.
  • Lee Weber
    9 years ago
    You can't go wrong with white subway tile. You could use a charcoal gray grout if you wanted. Wither way, the design will stand the test of time and not date your kitchen down the road. It also does not specify a specific design style for the rest of your kitchen.
  • Lee Weber
    9 years ago
    Do not add a border to the tile. It ruins the look.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I totally agree with Mark. I live in a small apartment now but downsized years ago from a 4,000 sq ft home with a very large kitchen. I didn't use a backsplash in either one. I love the painted walls because I can do so much with them with just pocket change. I can hang whatever I want on them. On my stove, I have a rectangular wire tray that stands on its side giving the effect of a backsplash but inside it, I have interesting bottles of cooking oils, vinegar, etc. that are handy and attractive.

Someone in another article a while back mentioned that she had grown up with painted walls and no thought of anything else. Ok, we are both old and I admit it but paint is so much more flexible and versatile. A good paint cleans well and doesn't have all those grout lines to catch dust or grease.

Apparently, someone way back did a great job marketing the "must have backsplash" campaign so now we have homeowners all over Houzz panicking over backsplashes. Give yourself a break. Paint it. You might just love it.
  • alexap
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for the great feedback and for taking the time to share pictures and ideas. I feel less anxiety after reading your responses. Thank you indeed!
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    We all can make tons of suggestion, but in the end it is your choice. Try to narrow down to your 3 favorites- no more.
    Do you have spouse helping you decide? What about a best girlfriend with a great eye for design?, have her over for coffee and set the samples up to ponder.
    There is really no right or wrong (with exceptions of course), it is balancing the color and feel of the tile and expressing yourself, with the other components of the kitchen. Don't drive your self crazy over thinking it. Yes, we all do it , but somehow find the right one is in front of you. It is also a process of elimination..
    Good luck and show us the results.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.