four_monkeys

Hang mirror horizontally or vertically?

four_monkeys
11 years ago
I purchased the Eagan mirror from Pottery Barn to hang on my stair landing. The mirror measures 44" x 55" and the beige painted portion of the stair landing measures 89"w x 92"h (almost square). In the picture I have the mirror outline in the horizontal position with it centered on the wall. Which position do you think would look best - horizontal or vertical? Thanks!

Comments (44)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Vertical!
  • four_monkeys
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! Should I keep the mirror centered or should I raise it so it is not too close to the floor?
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Raise it.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    Yep, vertical and raised a bit. This will give you more height in this area that's under the bulkhead which is tending to be squashing it down.
  • Chandani
    11 years ago
    Agree with others- Vertical... I think if you were to go vertical, you can probably leave the bottom where it is now.
  • PRO
    patti g design
    11 years ago
    vertical, especially because of the bulkead above
  • ruth chikalla
    11 years ago
    vertical
  • Jubi Arriola_Headley
    11 years ago
    What everyone else said. :-)
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Either way will work---if vertical then yes raise it. I just wonder what exactly this mirror is to reflect---is there a window or something opposite you wish to emphasize/accentuate? If not then place a narrow shelf underneath and add tall accessories... Good luck!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Vertical and I have a paint trick that will also help fool the eye. Carefully paint the bulkhead the same colour as your wall this will visually make it recede. As for the placement I would hang it so the top of the mirror is 80 inches from the floor or 12 inches from the bottom of the bulkhead this will give you a 1/3 (12 inches) wall above and 2/3 (24 inches) wall below for a balanced proportional look.
  • pamdietz
    11 years ago
    Vertical, elevated and move it off center--far more interesting.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Please go to Capel rugs link to see all kinds you can buy locally I like this style and tone/colour if you go for patterned chairs and cushions but there are similar that might appeal to your tastes more. Have fun!
    http://www.capelrugs.com/moor-bisque-rugs
  • pollyb1942
    11 years ago
    I guess you already have your mirror, but have you thot about plate glass mirror on the entire wall? Would do wonders for adding light and expanding space.
  • PRO
    NexTrend Design
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Having it centered creates some visual interest no matter where you're standing. I also like pam's idea of going off center, which would allow room for some floating shelves on one side with a few accessories or..... In the photos below, I made a tall slender green arrangement in the corner of the landing to add interest, which would look good in your case as well, regardless of the mirror being in the center or off center. The soft turquoise colors complemented the little chair vignette in the entryway.
  • PRO
    NexTrend Design
    11 years ago
    Colors of vase & arrangement complement the chair vignette in entryway...
    (scroll over photo to enlarge)
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    vertical! If someone is looking in it , they may want to see more of themselves in it, from head to toe.
  • PRO
    S&K Interiors LLC
    11 years ago
    Horizontal
  • Holly Murphy
    11 years ago
    Vertical, and raised, as this area of your home needs height, not width....:) Beautiful place btw...
  • PRO
    Cyndee Banister
    11 years ago
    I would hang it vertical as the space has a low ceiling, and this would give height to the wall.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Definitely vertically. Also, I believe it will look more dynamic if it's raise up off the "center line" a bit. It would be more visible that way and keep the eye moving upward.
  • Michelle Béchard-Lalonde
    11 years ago
    Definitely, you should hang it vertically!
  • Crystal Wall
    11 years ago
    Vertically with sconces on either side. :)
  • PRO
    Heather Cleveland Design
    11 years ago
    Vertical and raised a bit, but not too much!
  • kmgwhite
    11 years ago
    If you go horizontal, definitely paint the bulkhead the same color as the wall and raise the mirror. If go go vertical, leave it as is in the picture. I think that going horizontal somehow seems friendlier, while vertical is more formal... If you go vertical, plants would look great on either side...Horizontal, place a shelf underneath. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
  • Susan Gahagan
    11 years ago
    Neither. Mirrors on stairways is confusing....and I think dangerous. The area needs some color and/or texture anyhow. Consider a painting or photograph instead.
  • vsegura
    11 years ago
    I love that mirror, and have the less expensive version. You should hang it vertically, maybe add candle sconces on either side, and if you really want to make a statement a narrow console table beneath it, to greet people as they get to the landing!
  • PRO
    Mark d. Kimball Designs
    11 years ago
    VERTICAL!!!!
  • cocoabama
    11 years ago
    Horizonal - creates an illusion that you are going toward an object/cuts the sharpness of staircase - bring the mirror up - too close to floor!
  • PRO
    Ana Maria Designs
    11 years ago
    Vertical.
  • Nora Bey
    11 years ago
    Vertically looks good on the wall but horizontally will look good weather you're coming up or down the stairs.
  • PRO
    Lavender
    11 years ago
    mirror hung vertical slightly higher just like you place a print with the mat bigger on th bottom and (sorry to those that suggessted it) no do daws...like consoles, shelves or other accidents waiting to happen on such a small landing.
  • Shannan
    11 years ago
    Vertical
  • PRO
    Affordable Staging Solutions
    11 years ago
    So many great ideas. Vertical on center so you could add sconces later if you wanted, and painting the bulkhead the same color as the walls was also a wonderful idea!
  • nancycrane
    11 years ago
    Vertical...the pic shown with the tape makes it look too boxy and the walls are boxy enough.
  • shirleybird
    11 years ago
    Paint the bulkhead same as the wall color, hang the mirror vertical as you have sown taped off.Live with it for a while like that because I'm not so sure you will need any doo dads around it either.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Horizontal, for sure - but slightly higher.
  • christyhennessey
    11 years ago
    Vertical and raised. It is a great mirror!
  • Maggie Holbrook
    11 years ago
    Vertical for sure. It is a walkway and it makes sense to see a full body. it elongates the space too. love the mirror!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Curious...what did you end up doing with the mirror?
  • four_monkeys
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for everyones comments! I ended up hanging the mirror vertically and raising it higher. Also, as suggested, I plan to paint the bulkhead the same "latte" color as the walls in order to make it recede. Here is an "in progress" picture (side note: this picture was taken during the day so the wall color appears much lighter). I will post another picture once the bulkhead is painted. :) Thanks again! (scroll over picture for full image)
  • Laura Hinrichsen
    9 years ago
    Oh, good. I was worried you didn't know to paint the vertical face of the bulkhead, it's a great staircase and that was ruining everythibg else visually. Then i finally got to your last comment and felt SO relieved.
  • jpotter0708
    8 years ago

Hi All,

I just purchased the same mirror for my living area. I will hang it above the sectional pictured here. There is an 11" shelf between the sofa and the wall where I can put decorative items/lamps as you can see.

I am wondering how high above the shelf to hang the mirror. Can you advise?

• jpotter0708
    8 years ago

The measurement from shelf to ceiling is: 97"

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.