angie_hicks

Cabinets, Cabinets, Cabinets!

Angie Hicks
11 years ago
Hi! How do you make a final decision on cabinet manufacturers? I have one builder using Aristokraft another Cardell or Decora. How do I know what works for me? They all make similar styles.
Thanks!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    11 years ago
    Do either of your contractors have showrooms where you can see a selling center? Or do they even have sample doors to show you. Aristokraft is know as a contractor's line of cabinetry and are partial overlay cabinets meaning that you will see the face frame border the doors when the doors are closed. Decora, I believe, is part of the Masterbrand family. These cabinets are full overlay and generally this line is a bit more expensive then Aristokraft. I would suggest to first pick the doorstyle and finish and then work through the design of the kitchen with your contractors/designer. Make sure they explain the pros and cons of MDF vs plywood construction and the cost difference. Also try to think of any design elements you would like the designer to keep in mind such as: trash pull outs, lazy susans, and full depth cabinetry above the fridge. Both of these lines are what we consider semi custom order lines. There are enough sku #'s and design options for you to make a "custom" kitchen as long as you stay within the given parameters. Additionally, both of these lines should come with a limited lifetime warranty that protects you from almost anything that could go wrong.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Ask lots of questions about each line and how the boxes are made, what they are made of, what the doors are made of. Go out on line and search for reviews on each brand and see what people are and are not happy with.

As a builder, we take our clients to several cabinet companies that carry multiple lines. We help them go through the specs and understand the differences, not just the finish and look. We don't represent any one line so we can give clients more options.
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    If you search cabinets in the discussions section you will find some great suggestions.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    A simple way is to Google "Aristokraft cabinet reviews" and you should get plenty of responses from owners who usually point out the good and the bad. Then do it again with the other brands. No one can make this decision for you, but if you have others opinions you could at least make an educated decision.
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    9 years ago
    A good place to start is by check out their reviews and check out Consumer Digest's Best Buy cabinet recommendations. Dura Supreme Cabinetry was named Consumer Digest's best buy in Premium cabinetry. Mandi @ Dura
  • PRO
    Showplace Cabinetry
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Agree with all the previously published advice and would highlight the idea of getting referrals to seek first-hand opinions of existing owners of the brands offered. Online reviews are also great sources of information.

Consumer Digest Best Buy recommendations are generated through survey questions sent to manufacturers and derived from the responses received from those manufacturers, not based on a hands-on review of the product or feedback from actual homeowners ...Showplace does not participate in seeking that type of endorsement since it doesn't seem relevant to what actual owners of the cabinets might say.

The brands you mention do fall into different price categories and will have differing qualities or features that make-up the value decision you will want to make. Seeing, touching, feeling, and operating them yourself will be very helpful, along with having their differences explained to you by someone whose reputation depends on helping you make the right decision.
  • PRO
    DIY Cabinets
    8 years ago

Since all cabinets are similar you can decide by features or price. However keep in mind that the contractor has to be someone you are comfortable with and trust. Also ask for referencesome.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 years ago
    Post from 2012
  • PRO
    Carol's Cabinets and Stone
    8 years ago

I think all the manufacturers are similar, but the service is different , so you have to see how is their service

• PRO
    Diablo Valley Cabinetry
    8 years ago

Some Considerations when deciding on the wide variety or cabinet manufacturers.

• You are correct. All manufacturers tend to have similar styles and colors. This is typically due to strong industry trends in the manufacturing and design industry. Each manufacturer will have some unique door styles and finishes in their product line, so you can take that into account when making your final decision.
    • A good place to start is with your budget. If you know what your budget is, then a qualified professional can help you navigate to a product line that will fit your budget.
    • Cabinetry can be very complicated. When you consider all the variable involved such as cabinet construction, construction materials, drawer box construction and hardware, door style, wood species and the multitude of finish selections, it is easy to see why homeowners can become so overwhelmed. A good design professional will listen to your goals for the project and help narrow down the selections to the core of your interests. From there the process is greatly simplified.
    • As some of the other comments reference, there are a lot of similarities between manufacturers. You want to find a design professional / company you trust to help you navigate the process and provide exceptional service throughout the entire project from beginning to end. There are always unforeseen issues and surprises along the way and you want to work with an experienced partner with a history of great service.

Good Luck!

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8 years ago

Diablo Valley Cabinetry - Great advice! Mandi @ Dura

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.