zoladub

under cabinet power outlets?

Zoladub Dub
9 years ago

anybody use these so the backsplash isn't interupted?

Comments (27)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

IMO they are nicer in theory than in use. If you have appliances that remain plugged in, you will then have cords against the upper portion of the backsplash. That visual would bother me more than visible outlets. Your aesthetic may differ.

• jsbmob
    9 years ago

We did and they work well for us. The only electric appliance we keep on the counter is a coffee maker and it is in the corner. We have a dark back splash so the cord isn't noticeable. I agree with Gyr_Falcon that it may not fit everyone's aesthetic, but we knew we wanted the uninterupted back splash (and that we wouldn't be keeping much on the counters).

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

Yes, I have them. All of my appliances that stay plugged in are in an appliance cabinet and I don't keep stuff on the counters. I like them very much. There are fancy ones available, but ours are very basic.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

We have them on the range wall. I don't keep anything plugged in on that wall, so hanging cords are not an issue.

Across the aisle, we have a TV+cable box and K-machine plugged in most of the time, so we put in regular wall outlets. These items all hide the outlets.

Angle plugmold (before paint):

View when standing in the kitchen (cannot see the plugmold):

From a distance:

• Liesl123
    9 years ago

For those that have done this, where is the electric box located? Is it exposed in the upper cabinet and do you find that cuts into your storage space too much in the upper cabinet?

• tina kauh
    9 years ago

mine are attached to the bottom of the upper cabs - they do not cut into the actual upper cab space (I don't even see screws on the bottom of the inside shelf). I'm 5' so I can sort of see the box but my husband, who is 6' can't see them at all.

• jsbmob
    9 years ago

Ours are also attached to the bottom of the upper cabinet. No loss of cabinet space at all. I can see a little of the box below the bottom of the cabinet, but I don't think anyone else sees it and if they do, they haven't mentioned it (we have dark brown boxes and the back splash is dark, so it all kinds of blends).

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I have them, but am not sure I'd go to the trouble of specifying them again. Low and horizontal and hidden behind things would be fine with me. But because I have them, and don't like seeing the cords, I tend to unplug my appliances, which is probably a good thing.

• Zoladub Dub
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u for the info. I'm still looking into it.

• pattybea
    9 years ago

Last remodel installed plugmold everywhere with no backsplash outlets. This time around we installed UC plugmold everywhere and one low outlet on backsplash behind coffee maker and grinder...so no hanging cord... Love it.

• margo456
    9 years ago

I am only in planning stages but have been thinking and looking at outlets and I will have combination of plug molds and and regular outlets. Planning on putting couple of regular outlets where it is less visible and where I have my bread machine and toaster oven plugged in (I know I really should unplug it but we use it so much) and everywhere else I will have plugmolds since I only would plug in items at the time of use.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Pattybea I really like that idea - duly noted and thank you! Do you have pictures of your plugmolds? I hate to hijack but this is a very helpful convo.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Love our plugmolds. Our GC hated them as they did our wiring as well. He actually said that he won't do them again because he had a tough time with them...I told him that he's an expert at them now and it'll be easy for the future. (But, there were many things to them that were "hard", so, I'm not sure how much stock I put in their assessment of install.

Anyway, plugmold is wonderful - very happy we have it. I have one standard outlet that is by the fridge for things that stay plugged in all the time. But, we also have an appliance garage where other items that may remain plugged in regularly live.

Definitely think about what things you want out and stay plugged in all the time and where they will live...for those, put in a standard outlet. For all other items, plugmold is fantastic.

• zwizzle
    9 years ago

I'm at the stage of deciding whether to install under cabinet outlets or leave the outlets on the backsplash (which is white subway tile with a contrasting decorative stripe about 8" above the counter.

I know the toaster over and coffee makers (yes one for me and one for DH) will stay on the counter and plugged in and I hate the idea of the big heavy black cords hanging down. The link below shows what I'd like to do but I wonder has anyone here done something like this? Is there an issues with local codes for placement so near the counter surface?

TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: [Outlets on backsplash[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/naperville-kitchen-remodel-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~129080)

• andreak100
    9 years ago

zwizzle - in my prior message, I mentioned the standard outlet...we put one in, low like shown in your post. For code, I know that it needs to be a TR outlet, but I'm not sure if there's a code requirement for how high it needs to be placed - you might want show the picture to your contractor and check with them, they should be well versed in what is required.

FWIW, we wound up outsmarting ourselves...we went horizonal with the outlet and we should have gone vertical...we didn't know that we were going to place our backsplash tile vertically when we had to make our electrical decisions so, it actually wound up that we should have made that low outlet go up and down, but most people orient their tile horizontally, so it was logical for us to do it at the time.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I put plug mold in as well. I chickened out and put in some lower ones as well - overkill. I would have nuked all of the backsplash ones except maybe the one in the corner.

• rooandcheese
    9 years ago

We are planning to use them, but they won't be installed for a few weeks still. The motivating factor for us is the back-painted glass backsplash we are planning to put in. It's just so much more alluring without cut-outs!

• zwizzle
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. I am going see if the contractor can locate the outlets horizontally on the backsplash in line with the tiles but below the decorative stripe. I may opt for under cabinet strip in work areas where appliances aren't left on the counter.

• pjderosa
    8 years ago

This thread was very helpful as my builder and architect just got in a big fight about which is "better". Thanks all. It seems to me from this that wall outlets are generally best for "full time" plugged in appliances and the under cabinet for extra temporary things. Could someone mention what they find some of those temp things are (i.e. things they like to plug/unplug on use)?

• kksmama
    8 years ago

My immersion blender, grain mill, Electorlux mixer, rice cooker, slow cooker, and food processor only come out of drawers when I use them. In theory my phone and ipad should get charged in the charging drawer, but IRL the drawer is often too much of a tangle (teenagers) and so I'll plug mine in on the counter for a few hours. My coffee pot, electric kettle, Vitamix, and KA mixer live on the counters.

• namarie
    8 years ago

I work for a utility and it has been ingrained in me that, even when not in use, an appliance that is plugged in is an "energy vampire" that is costing you money. So for us, everything from the keurig to the toaster to the slow cooker and electric griddle gets plugged in only when it is being used. The exception being things like tv's and the built in microwave that is harder to unplug. So we obviously chose under cabinet outlets when we built our new house. I love them and that my backsplash isn't messed up by outlets.

• robingg
    5 years ago

When installing under cabinet outlets, is there a certain type I need to look for? Or will the typical electrical box and outlet work and able to be installed under the cabinets?

• HKO HKO
    5 years ago
    We did the pop-up in-counter kind. They are available on Amazon and required advanced planning with the electrician, counter guys, and cabinet makers, but I like them. No cords running up.
  • robingg
    5 years ago

Can those be mounted underneath cabinets? I don't really want anything in my counters. We are completely remodeling a flooded property we bought so can pretty much plan what we want. What are they called on Amazon?

• HKO HKO
    5 years ago
    They aren’t really made for under cabinets. Lew Electric PUFP-CT-SS Countertop Box, Pop Up w/20A GFI Receptacle - Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JV3D7C0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_h.dfBb73FEXDP
  • PRO
    EVOlineStore
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We have quite a few which can be used as under/in cabinet. Take a look at this video.

More variants you can find on our website: Latest News And of course we do support UL power sockets too.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.