gavin_kennedy

Need help with soundproofing underneath new hardwood flooring

Gavin Kennedy
11 years ago
Hi all-- I'm not sure this is a design dilemma, per se, but it's a dilemma nevertheless. I just purchased a top floor condo in a converted 1898 row house. Thinking I'd be free of neighbor noise, I've since learned that I won't be. Argh. Lucky (?) for me, I hate the current flooring (looks plastic; feels flimsy) and have the chance to rip it up and put in new floors and soundproof (I hope)

I realize that I have both "impact" and "airborne" noise issues. Unfortunately, I won't be able to rip out my downstairs neighbors drywalled ceiling to sound insulate it so I'm stuck working from above (my floors) down. Would be a horrible and expensive way of introducing myself.

There is much on the web about the best materials, etc-- e.g., mass loaded vinyl, Quiet Rock. I'm not having as much luck finding contractors with experience doing it, or people with experience having had it done.

Please empower me with your thoughts, ideas, and experiences.

Thanks mucho!

Comments (2)

• vincentview
    11 years ago
    Cork flooring
  • PRO
    Acoustical Solutions
    11 years ago
    There are floor underlayments designed to address these issues. It is kind of unusual that you are the one complaining of noise as it's usually the neighbor below wanting to reduce the transmission of footfall impact noise coming from above. Regardless, look for an acoustical floor underlayment that has an STC rating (airborne sound blocking - and probably your concern unless your downstairs neighbors are banging on the ceiling) as well as an IIC rating (reduction in impact noise like footfall). Look at IsoStep here, an example of a good acoustical underlayment you can install under your new flooring: http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/33~iso-step-floor-underlayment
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.