rosiek1004

Dreams of Balustrades on our deck

Jenny R K
9 years ago
Our deck framing is currently being built, but we are still undecided on the color & design of our railings. We were told by our community that we can only have white railings. I absolutely fell in love with poly balustrades for our deck, but am in utter shock at the pricing i've seen online. Is each one really $50?! Our railing height would be 32". We haven't heard back from our contractor on pricing yet.
Can anyone offer advice/alternatives to balustrades? Would it look off if i had the gazebo railing in balustrade style & everything else in something else?
I've attached our deck rendering & a sample of the balustrade i'm in love with.

Comments (6)

• Jenny R K
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That's a good point about the balustrades blocking the view. I'm not sure if our development will allow the black or brown spindles. Any more suggestions?~
  • PRO
    D.R. Long, Architect + Associates
    9 years ago

I'm hoping that the support posts for the railing line up with the stone piers below and not what is shown in that first image. The image shows a very contemporary deck and if the house is not a classical design the balusters you like may be overwhelming vs. the house and deck. Would be interested in getting a link to this communities design standards handbook, if possible.

• Jenny R K
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you your input! You raised some great points! I feel as though i am a bit jaded in looking at the overall deck style. I honestly got caught up in all of the choices out there & lost sight. We are actually only getting the stone under the gazebo (not the stone columns under the main part of the deck) as it was too costly. Instead, we will have the plain white legs throughout. I am having trouble figuring out what would look complimentary.
    They are nearly finished with the framing, so I am a bit frazzled at this point in terms of a good railing selection.
  • Jenny R K
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    If it helps, this is the front view of the house
  • PRO
    D.R. Long, Architect + Associates
    9 years ago

Thanks for the photos! The real-life version helps especially seeing the front with the balusters there. Still, with such a large deck and the amount of balusters it would be a good idea to downplay the detail so you aren't overloaded and it would give you a change to focus on the gazebo details to make that pop a bit more.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.