tjs4

Need decorating help in shabby chic cottage living room!

T L
11 years ago
Hi! I'm redecorating my house in shabby chic cottage style. I've got a few pieces left over from my Arts & Crafts phase (it left the rooms too dark as my windows are few and must remain covered for privacy). So, I've got a large wood armoire with my TV, a fireplace/heater, and a rug that I'm unsure about. The room is painted celery green, and my accent colors in this room are bright pink, petal pink, silver/grey, and ivory/off-white/white.The floor is original hardwood (dark), as are the baseboards. We have natural colored blinds.
Here are my questions:
What color/type of rug should I get?

What should I do to the armoire & fireplace to lighten them, if anything? I'm scared to paint them, but...

Please help!

Comments (15)

• feeny
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't paint or do anything to your lovely antique armoire. It would ruin its value. If you really don't like it then sell it and buy another that is already painted or won't be devalued by painting. Is the fireplace original? I can't quite tell from the photo. It looks oddly positioned at the edge of the wall, and thus I'm assuming it isn't built in or necessarily an antique? There is no reason why you can't have wood pieces in a shabby chic decor. But I might choose an even lighter color for your walls, and definitely very light rugs over your darker wood floors to brighten the space. If you do keep the wall color, then be sure to bring in some celery accents elsewhere so it looks coherent.
  • T L
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Nope, neither one are antiques. I bought the armoire off of CL because the TV faces the door and I wanted to be able to close off the TV. The fireplace is one of those fake fireplaces that gives off heat, positioned to face to the center of the room, where we congregate. I've got some celery colors in the pillows, decoupage 'd table, the throw rug, and a few of the hanging pictures...
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi---well I'm really not feeling the "shabby chic" here with the dark trim, bright green walls, dark armoire, and FP---and the primary colors, etc. Soooo I suggest that you paint your walls an off-white or cream color, paint the armoire the green you have on the walls-dry brush it with the wall color to give it a distressed look. Paint the FP same as the walls and apply an antiquing glaze of turquoise/aqua using the on/off method. Just a hint of color is all. Paint all your picture frames in ONE color or finish. Now the rest is up to you----you can either keep the palette soft and change out all the primary colors in your home to have a cohesive design OR you could add colorful accessories to the living room. Pics for inspiration---first two are light, soft colors---second 2 medium/light colors... Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

[houzz=
    Maureen Rivard · More Info
    ][houzz=][houzz=
    Interior Design · More Info
    ][houzz=
    ][houzz=
    ]
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Buy some wood appliques for the middle of the armoire doors. Paint it and glaze it to show of the appliques. Paint the hardware pulls as well. Put a hand crocheted cloth that drapes on the sides on the table but keep the legs exposed. Use a rug with a rose pattern on light background. Use the colors in the rug to choose paint colors for the walls and armoire. Go with soft pastels that will lighten the area. Hang the clock over the fireplace. Paint both to match the armoire color. Remove the pictures to another room. Hang hand-painted 8" plates vertically to the left of the clock and fireplace. Put some rose patterned pillows on the couch.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Here is a color palette that might help give you some ideas:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/128423026844237333/
  • PRO
    Glorious Designs, Inc.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    All of the previous comments and tips are certainly choices for the way to go therefore I have an overall important tip when using the "Shabby Chic" style: Use your washed and rubbed off finishes and Shabby Chic fabrics with basically objects, colors, patterns that you personally love. Then remember that "Shabby," in the decorating sense, is not unorganized or thrown together. It needs to use your selections incorporated in a planned way. In other words, floor plans and attention to elevations (each wall facing your point of vision) should be planned, focusing on elements of good room design. Have a wonderful time, good luck and looking forward to seeing your finished results!!
  • T L
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Eventually, I want to get an old ladder and put some family-made quilts next to the fireplace in that blank spot.
    As for the wall color -- it was a compromise I made with my fiancee, unfortunately, so it's gotta stay :(
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi---well, if you're stuck with the paint, then I suggest you go with more vivid furnishings/accessories and forgo the shabby chic look---perhaps Bohemian would be more favorable...
    If you can convince him to paint the walls in a more complimentary hue-then check Ben Moore's Healing Aloe, Quiet Moments, and April Showers. Also---Sherwin Williams SW 6169 Sedate Gray.
    All four of those colors look like the two attached photos below--- do note how nice it looks paired with the wood tones---you may not have to paint any of the wood. :)
    Show your fiance-perhaps that will convince him.
    Good Luck!

[houzz=
    Modern Bermuda · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Modern Bermuda · More Info
    ]
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Alternate style

[houzz=
    Kim Johnson- living room · More Info
    [houzz=
    Hacienda Chic Residence · More Info
    ]Alt][houzz=
    Liz Stewart · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Bohemian Chic Teenage Bedroom · More Info
    ]
  • T L
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What about a rug that is the same color as the walls (fern/celery green), and paint the armoire/fireplace a distressed white?
  • PRO
    LM Designers
    11 years ago
    Paint the armoire as suggested above by tjs4. It will look lighter and shabby chic is all about white and distressing. Taking different styles and painting them all the same color does the trick.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi---I like your current rug best, followed by the second rug you posted (roses). If you opt for the rose rug, your armoire will be better if left unpainted... :)
  • PRO
    WelcomeHome staging & decorating, LLC
    9 years ago
    I think the walls will be fine. I would purchase a striped pattern with flower curtains in your colors you are using, then I would just sand the wood pieces to a natural color. That way if you ever do sell them or want to change up, just add stain. Then I would get a white backed rug with big flowers spread out in colors of choice. Then add your country vintage look to walls. And add solid pillows of colors of choice. Good starting pieces
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.