portanadarko

UH OH bad seam in countertop

portanadarko
9 years ago

HELP! We haven't talked to the contractor yet. This was just installed, but this seam and mismatched pattern just seems like such an eye soar. It's in the kitchen right next to the farmhouse sink. What can or should be done? I just want to be educated before Monday's conversation with the contractor! This is the only seam in the whole kitchen.

Comments (53)

• crowley48
    9 years ago
    Oh gee, that's horrible. Make them replace it. And if they crab that they can't match it, make them replace the entire slab. And don't back down or accept any excuses (in my experience they'll usually try).
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

On the visual bright side, it's centered on the door (although that may not be the best location for support).

Stone is a natural material and when it comes to seams, there's no such thing as matching. Well, they can match, but it is a difficult process. The seam you have does look to be at the "mismatch" end of the spectrum.

Talk to the contractor about your concerns.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

A seam can be "matched" by using bookend slabs. However, if you only need one slab to cover the entire kitchen, then bookend slabs will cost more money (2X).

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

Mark, please, there is no bright side, visual or otherwise, to that seam. I do believe it's the worst I've ever seen.

• PRO
    McGonagle Home Improvement
    9 years ago
    That is so bad!! I can't believe they walked away from that thinking it was ok. I like to have my clients go to the factory and see their template laid out on there slab. That way the can place it where they want it. Then they know where seams will be and no surprises. Have them fix it, absolutely unacceptable!
  • Kari P
    9 years ago

Not ok at all. Let us know how it goes!

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

ah! Not acceptable at all. Take a ton of pictures and make sure you document what the contractor says about it. Also follow up with him/her Via email so its in writing. Good luck and we're sorry this happened.

• Theresa Holt
    9 years ago
    That was stupid...If he had flipped one piece it would not have been so bad. Lazy, lazy, lazy!
  • dclostboy
    9 years ago

That's why I try to lay mine out. Top is the left side; bottom is the right side. White vein meets at the seam, so nearly uninterrupted when installed.

• User
    9 years ago

So, when you attended the templating session with the installer, you approved the layout that tey showed you? And you agreed to buy the additional slab that it woud take in order to have a perfect seam? And they did this anyway?

Getting good work is a two way communication issue, starting with you stating your expectations. Builders, especially non custom builders, usually hire the cheapest work that they can hire for everything. No one cares about a result like you do. You have to be proactive in all phases of a build, or the even more important things behind the wall end up with worse issues than the one you're dealing with currently. Ignorance is not bliss.

• OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    UGH! Just UGH! Cannot BELIEVE they thought that would be acceptable. Ask him if it was HIS wife what would be happening g right now. Do NOT accept any excuses....it must be changed, and if it's on his dome, then so be it. I would stop all payments immediately until,this was rectified.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

not acceptable. Any reputable installer would go with you over the seams and cuts.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I am so sorry this happened. I hope your contractor will replace it with new, and be sure to oversee all fixes.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago

Any professional fabricator knows that when creating a seam the stone has to match in color and pattern on each side of the seam to improve seam appearance and in some cases you have to look real close to even notice the seam.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago

I'm bookmarking this one. This is the most perfect example I have ever seen of why clients should go to the fabricator and be involved in the layout. One can't leave this type of decision up to a shop worker - not that the person doesn't care, but because they don't understand the impact of the decision. The guys in the shop never see an installed product. They have no idea.

• Carolyn Elfman Kidd
    9 years ago

Awful...a good installer would never put a seam there and furthermore the granite is mismatched. Do not pay them until they remove it and install granite correctly!

• User
    9 years ago

Unacceptable. Looks like 2 entirely different stones.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

who, in there right mind does this? Let a lone walk off the job holding their head up. bogus.

• suzyq53
    9 years ago

So sorry for your bad result. I agree this is totally unacceptable work. Have you already paid for it? If not, don't until they get it right. There is a way of butterflying the slab to make it seem almost seamless if you have to have a seam. This probably could have been designed with just a seam at the corner of the sink since its a farm sink. It is trickier when the granite has a lot of movement like yours and you often need an additional slab to get it right, but a good fabricator should know that.

• suzyq53
    9 years ago

Also, I am currently designing a huge kitchen island that will need a seam. We bought consecutively numbered slabs so that we could use the next slab to book match the movement in the stone. There is more waste but what a difference. If your fabricator could get a slab in the sequence he could fix this, at his own expense of course. If all else fails you could get a section cut out of both slabs and insert a butcher block top with matching edge centered over the cabinet. A lot of people are doing this intentionally now. That would make the mismatch much less noticeable. Good luck!

• PRO
    Clever Closet Company
    9 years ago
    I think the person that did this is likely inexperienced and is obviously about to learn from his or her mistake. If the company you contracted with is professional, trust that they will correct it as a matter of course and the degree of error on the installers part should be a conversation between the two of them rather than you so that it doesn't get personal or insulting. As unpleasant as it is, it is fixable and keeping the focus on the end result and being calm and respectful will get the best solution for all involved. Good luck.
  • suzyq53
    9 years ago

I hope so. I'd be so upset if that was really my countertop. Maybe waiting to talk to contractor on Monday? It would have been so obvious during the install right?

• portanadarko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm the poster....i'm just trying to take this all in. I'll have a meeting with the contractor on Monday. This is the first time my husband and I have been involved in a total remodel of a kitchen. Our contractor came highly recommended and we just went with the flow of everything going on. He never asked us to approve it or ask us to have a "template session" or anything. We did go to the granite/stone warehouse to make sure that they would use the correct slab since I had heard stories of the wrong ones being installed. We had an extra slab made into a counter top over the front load washer and dryer so I'm wondering if maybe that would be able to be cut and "re-matched and fitted" into the right side of the seam, which would then make yet another seam but I'm thinking in line with the back of the faucet...? They didn't have anymore of the same slabs at the warehouse....so they said.

• portanadarko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, i really really really wish this was a "spoof". My sister-in-law and brother-in-law were just over and said that it looked worse in the picture than in person, but it's still "there"! also, they cut out a big hunk for the stove top and said they would make it a cutting board for me, but i'm wondering if THAT might work, depends if it'll match better. Any thoughts?

• PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago

The OP must not have gotten the memo from @Sophie of the poor state of the stonework industry.(see post about undermount sink collapse)

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

They have a farmhouse sink, so they won't have a problem with a seam at the sink back.

• suzyq53
    9 years ago

I think the fabricator may have cut out the sink on the wrong side of the slab. How long is the entire counter? How long is it from the left side to the center of the sink? Would the laundry slab be long enough for that? It just doesn't make sense for that seam to be there. I'd make them replace everything from the left run to the middle of the sink. If there are no more sequential slabs, then I'd insist they replace the whole thing. Even if it doesn't look as bad in person, you're going to get mad every time you look at it. Your contractor didn't have your back; he should have reviewed and approved the layout. The contractor needs to work it out with the fabricators. Someone is going to take a trim, just make sure it isn't you.

• jonathan3
    9 years ago

This is a nightmare...an expensive one.

• Moxiemom
    9 years ago
    Wow. Beyond incompetent. Don't let this pass.
  • Sharron Cygan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very incompetent and totally unacceptable..make them rip it out and replace it correctly or do not pay them. they obviously cut this slab wrong and are trying to get away with it. Shameful.

• paw1431
    9 years ago

Never seen anything like it!

• PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    9 years ago
    Make him take it out and do it over. That is really unacceptable.
  • Violet Blackwould
    9 years ago

I'm very sorry this happened to you and I hope it gets replaced. I would be in tears (literally) if I walked in to this. I hope your contractor doesn't give you any grief about it! :(

• portanadarko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your help on this. I met with contractor this morning. The stone guys will be back out hopefully today. I told him not to make any decisions, please call me and I will make the last call. Thank you!

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

@portanadarko I'm glad they will fix this. Please post an updated picture to us. I'm curious on how good they fixed it! Hopefully you don't run into anymore issues with them!

• PRO
    Stewart Remodel-Design-Build
    9 years ago

I'm glad they are fixing that for you. We remodel a lot of bathrooms and kitchens we found a stone company that does a great job and we will never leave them for this reason.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    It's awful and should have never happened. Get them to replace.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I hope you did pay them.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Meant didn't pay them.
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Haven't heard from OP in a while, I hope it's getting corrected.
  • portanadarko
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The contractor did correct the problem! A new section was replaced with same grade and there's an extra seam but it's at the base of the faucet....really can't see it. It looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better. I know stone isn't perfect, and this was my first time doing this so you all helped me so much with the fact that it was BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!! Therefore, my confidence level was up when I said I could not accept it. I am really pleased with the end result. I'll get a pic and upload it later.

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

So glad to hear you got it corrected. It was bad. Can't wait to see the new pic.

portanadarko thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

Well done!

• PRO
    Tumblewood Designs
    8 years ago

I'd love to see a photo of the finished product Portanadarko

• portanadarko
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

I meant to do this so much sooner, but I'm not online a lot, and I'm still busy with this house! But this was fixed, and I am much happier with the look of this seam and slab. I have a couple of other issues I'm working on with this contractor, who of course, doesn't have time to come back. He wanted payment in full when it was complete, but we said we would pay him in full when he came back and finished what he promised. It's not a lot, but I guess he doesn't want the rest of his money....or a referral! Ever!

• PRO
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    8 years ago
    That's crazy please tell tme they replaced it
  • PRO
    Tumblewood Designs
    8 years ago

So he left the seam in the same spot? That's crazy. Agree with some of the others that commented that the seam should have been in the middle of the sink. Its beautiful stone though. Hope you love it anyway

• evalinash
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This particular stone has lots of movement ...it is hard to match it ..people have no idea what is in involves in the fabrication business...

• Granite Burdick
    4 years ago

I am a fabricator. That would not be a choice that I would consider. However, I have been coerced into cutting mismatched seams. I have been in the situation, more than once, where I have told the customer that I can't match the seam with the material given. Sometimes, they choose. You should find out who made the decision. Was it the contractor? Was there an error?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.