bryan_vandenheuvel

Can I put small river rock/pebbles in a shower tray?

Bryan Vandenheuvel
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Previously some asked this as well ([https://www.houzz.com/discussions/can-i-put-river-rock-in-my-shower-dsvw-vd~700080[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/can-i-put-river-rock-in-my-shower-dsvw-vd~700080)) but they were looking at mortar instillation. I was thinking of gluing them down with silicone sealant. Would this work and not cause the shower tray to fail from stress?

I am aware this may not be ideal, and there are several things to consider like comfort and cleaning, but I'm specifically asking if by not using a hard set material you can line a shower tray?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    West Point Home Center
    9 years ago

Are you talking about no mortar at all? How would you ever clean around them? I would think the base would be covered with mildew, hair and shower gunk pretty quickly. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean.

• Bryan Vandenheuvel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No mortar and use silicone as my mortar substitute. I was even thinking of mixing some sand into some of the silicone to make a faux grout for between the stones.

• PRO
    West Point Home Center
    9 years ago

Or do you mean glue them down with the silicone, but then still grout them?

• Bryan Vandenheuvel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm just wondering if by using silicone and no hard set material if you can line a shower tray.

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

unless you bury them completely they are pretty ouchy to stand on.

• User
    9 years ago

I don't know what you're talking about, but I do know that they are extremely painful to stand on. I lke the look but had to abandon the idea for my own shower.

• Bryan Vandenheuvel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nnigrt and adivra, I'm not asking about that, but thank you.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago

Silicone will not work for this application you need to get the proper material and for sure walking on stones in the shower would not be comfortable at all.

• Bryan Vandenheuvel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But from that the comments were saying in the link I added, you can't use a shower tray then. The tray will fair rather quickly. Thoughts?

• Bryan Vandenheuvel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe a textured spray paint that makes it look stone...? But that probably wouldn't hold up to the water?

• PRO
    West Point Home Center
    9 years ago

So you're talking about adhering them, and grouting them both with silicone? And are you talking about an existing shower pan? Or a new one that is meant for tile?

• Bryan Vandenheuvel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, your understanding is correct of my use of silicone. I'm talking about an existing shower pan.

• leelee
    9 years ago

Just supposing you can do what you're asking...then how are you going to clean it? I think it will get very moldy. Yuck.

• PRO
    West Point Home Center
    9 years ago

It won't work. Well, it might for a week, or maybe a month. It won't last. If you pan wasn't designed to hold tile, replacing the thinset and grout with silicone won't help. Your pan will most likely crack at some point. I also don't think that the silicone would hold up that well over time either. The silicone element to this, I admit, is a little out of my area. But it seems like providing a water tight seal over a small gap is one thing, and filling an area and expecting it to be flood proof day after day is another. Just like with silicone caulking, at some point there is usually some separation where the silicone meets the surface, and it needs to be dug out and redone. What would you do then?

Bryan Vandenheuvel thanked West Point Home Center
  • Bryan Vandenheuvel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you West Point! That's exactly the info I was looking for! :D Suppose a epoxy textured paint would work to give the tray a more nature look?

• PRO
    West Point Home Center
    9 years ago

I'm not sure. I suppose an epoxy paint might work and hold up, but I can't say that I've personally ever seen one that has the look you are going for.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.