chelsea_nash1872

Need help with boring, boxy 1960s exterior

mighteemaus
9 years ago

I'm trying to think of how I could improve the curb appeal of this giant blue 1967 box! I was thinking some taller detailed windows on top with white trim/molding would help, but would love to hear any and all other ideas. Thank you in advance!

Comments (3)

• PRO
    SimpleDecoratingTips.com
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What about adding a freestanding pergola where your furniture area is... extending the look of house getting away from the 'box' look. Then visually connecting to that pergola, you could do a fence and garden area for part of your front yard, again pulling the house out visually.

You could also add window boxes to visually lengthen the horizontal look of the two upper windows, that'd be a lot easier and cheaper then changing out the windows.

I'd also change out the metal railing on the porch to white painted wood, or wood look composite, as I'd recommend for the fence and pergola, to unite all that white and pull it together.

I'd also repaint that top triangle so that it is all blue, the stripes of white are not helping give the house a vertical look, they're only chopping it up more.

Oh and one last thing I noticed, the upper windows need white trim added to them to match the bottom ones.

Here's a post of our former house I wrote the other day showing the difference adding a pergola and fence with garden made to our neglected house: pergola, fence and garden make huge difference!

Liz www.HometoCottage.com

• PRO
    Christmas Lights, Etc
    9 years ago

I agree with the pergola idea - it would definitely improve curb appeal. Hang some patio lights to warm up the atmosphere. Taller windows would be a large undertaking but would definitely have a great end result.

• PRO
    APM architecture
    9 years ago

It is too monotone. I would paint the bottom (horizontal) siding darker, or the top lighter. Add wide white trim to uper windows for some contrast. Or adding a midcentury screen to the stair? here are some quick sketches

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.