How to improve where porch has big rectangular opening?and landscaping

mt48
9 years ago

Comments (35)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What kind of budget are you looking at?

I'd dig out all those shrubs, and just go with grass for a cleaner look.

mt48 thanked hayleydaniels
  • mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is an adorable little house for everything but that big space in the centre of the porch! We do not want it too look so "empty", just make it look better. I thought of an awning or classy hooks on each side but still boring in the winter and we have cold Canadian temps!

It is a northern exposure so not a lot of sun. The landscaping looks messy so I also want to do that over.

Any comments and ideas would sure be appreciated.

MT

• mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree, maybe some group plantings with a barberry or something? Euonymous holds colour in the winter too.

It is that porch look that takes away from the look of the house I think.

• mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Budget is not really a problem but do not wish to tear it all apart.

• mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just thought of something! Do you think that maybe we could put "something" onh the inner wall behind that opening?

Just thinking aloud here.

• jck910
    9 years ago

Love your home. Would kill for a little porch like yours. I think it looks empty because the door is so far left. On the inside what is behind that wall? Could the door be centered to the opening?

mt48 thanked jck910
  • partim
    9 years ago

Nice looking home, needs a few tweaks to bring out its charm.

First problem is the lack of balance between the 2 sides of the house. The left side has an interesting window with mullions, the right side an untrimmed opening. Add decently wide trim around the porch opening, as you would if you were trimming out a window. Maybe even a sill, as if it were a window. I'd remove the window boxes on the left side. They're too small to be in proportion, the color is wrong, and most of the year they don't look great. Lots of work, too.

Then give the eye something to look at on the wall behind the porch opening. I'd replace your existing light fixture with one that is larger, and in a dark finish to show up against the white siding. It looks as if there may be something on the porch - a low chair or bench maybe? If the porch is deep enough, add a bench or 2 chairs with tall backs, and place some kind of good sized decorative item above it. That will make it look very inviting from the street. Here's one idea of the type of thing I mean.

Atherton Holiday House Tour · More Info

mt48 thanked partim
  • mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Terrific, I was just thinking that the balance was off...I think I may have a decorative item!
    I think we are on the same chain of thought...thank you!

• bunnyllg
    9 years ago
    Just a large item on the wall next to the front door will add balance and interest and be most budget friendly. A piece of vintage ironwork or a large farmhouse metal star. A more extensive change would be to put decorative and substantial columns where the square opening goes upwards and leave the bottom part as a "wall."
  • J Petempich
    9 years ago
    My husband had a house of this vintage that had an enclosed front porch. It had screens in the summer and storms in the winter. We loved sitting out there.
  • partim
    9 years ago

Your landscaping needs to be simplified. Choose evergreens in a variety of needle color and shape, that will grow high enough to cover the foundation on the left, and the same size on the right to disguise the fact that there is no foundation there. If you take measurements and photos to a nursery, they will help you choose.

Be sure the shrubs will just barely touch each other and the house, at their mature width. Choose taller evergreens for the corners. Leave enough space in front for annuals. Then just grass for the rest.

You may also want to consider a very small tree, or tall shrub, centered in front of the window opening but not close to it. It would create a transition zone between your house and the street. I'd choose something with lacy or small leaves, that doesn't get large or wide. Again, your nursery would help.

mt48 thanked partim
  • Carol Singletary
    9 years ago

I like your idea to hang something decorative on the wall behind the opening. But when I looked at it, the first thing that came to my mind was hanging a large square of stained glass in the opening. Since you said it is north facing and northernly located, hanging plants won't work, but the glass could give you that same sense of color there (especially at night with the porch light on behind it). Of course, finding the glass, and hanging it so the winds don't blow it about might be a challenge. So, something inside is probably best.

mt48 thanked Carol Singletary
  • julieanderson22
    9 years ago

Find a stained glass window, something really simple and hand it in the porch opening. I would open up the porch, and make columns and tear our the center part. It would open it up and still keep it covered and functional. The two schrubs are not doing a lot for the front. I might put a grass in there, or something with a bit of height but not boxy. Your yard is to small to support a boxy scrub.

mt48 thanked julieanderson22
  • PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    9 years ago
    You probably have a wide enough ledge in opening to put decorative planters (rectangular) with say boxwood topiaries (triangle or cone shape with flowers). You may also consider hanging baskets/ferns.
    mt48 thanked Kim Nielsen Interiors
  • mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had thought of the planter idea and like the boxwood idea. Ferns always look great, thanks!

• J Petempich
    9 years ago
    I looked through houses with front porches and I really didn't she anything that wouldn't look very good. Especially from the street it would look like it didn't have a front door.
    mt48 thanked J Petempich
  • Richard Spence
    9 years ago

I think the simples solution is to cut the porch front wall down to the deck level with a open handrail for safety but not obscuring the view out or in. That would bring a better balance to the front. Perhaps put some of the shrubs in a group under the other window leaving room between the wall and plants for window cleaning etc. Bring the little topiary tree out to the left side of the house. I am assuming the porch entrance is on the right, if not can you make it there or this the next door driveway? Open the lawn a bit and give some depth to the whole look. hope this is helpful. Good Luck.

mt48 thanked Richard Spence
  • mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So many wonderful, helpful people replying on this website. Thanks to all.
    Many of the ideas are definitely going to be considered and for sure I will keep you updated. I love seeing "before and afters", don't you? In the mag, "This Old House" some of the most perfect do overs are little houses like this.
    I think this little house could be a show stopper if we do it right and I can't wait as this is my niece's first house on her own. She is SO excited. I remember those days, planning in my head as I woke up each morning.

If you think of anything else, please do not hesitate.

• PRO
    Michelle Walsh Designs
    9 years ago

If possible I would open the wall up and install some large steps leading up to. If you still wanted to screened in porch, you could do it still, even with glass. But I would open it up. Good luck- cute place!

mt48 thanked Michelle Walsh Designs
  • housegal200
    9 years ago

A couple ideas:

--Turn the entire yard into a perennial garden with plants, shrubs, and groundcover suited to your climate and light. Make sure the shrubs cover the foundation on the left.

--Remove the window boxes on your bay window as suggested above. They're too small. On the other hand, you could add a large, deep window box under the porch opening--flowering plants in warm months, beautiful evergreen arrangements in winter.

--Look for a large antique mullioned window (or a large round mullioned window)--these are usually easy to find in salvage places--and position it on the back wall of the porch (or hang it over the opening). Paint the trim a blue/red/green and paint your front door the same color.

One of many links on using old windows outdoors:http://www.remodelaholic.com/2014/10/how-to-use-old-windows/6/

mt48 thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    Al's Window Treatments
    9 years ago

I like the idea of 2 large hanging flower baskets and something on the wall. Yes, taking down the flower boxes and filling in the yard with more plants.

mt48 thanked Al's Window Treatments
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    9 years ago

The problem isn't the opening, it's the walls around it. Looks like someone built a wall and cut a hole in it. Open it up, it will look less bulky and more inviting.

mt48 thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • partim
    9 years ago

Great link on using old windows!

Before you replace your grass with perennials, be sure that you're up for the work to keep it in check. I've done this because I love gardening but you have to be prepared to spend the time with perennials. They need to be cut back, divided, replaced etc. ongoing. My suggestion of evergreens plus annuals is low-cost and low-work, since you've give no indication that you like to spend time gardening.

• mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gardening is my hobby..yes, I totally agree, perennials take time to maintain.

• merrigay
    9 years ago

Is there room for an attractive porch swing with some large pretty pillows. That and something for wall treatment would be very simple but inviting I think.

mt48 thanked merrigay
  • pdk920
    9 years ago

A quick and easy improvement would be to correct the out-of-balance look of the opening. If you paint the front door white, or a light color, and then create a focal point on the wall in the center of the opening, it would restore the balance. Maybe add a flowerbox across the bottom of the porch opening to fill in the blank white space.

It's a cute house, no need to spend gobs of money fixing a minor problem.

mt48 thanked pdk920
  • housegal200
    9 years ago

And since it's not my money, how about scalloped siding for both your peaks?

mt48 thanked housegal200
  • pdk920
    9 years ago

Remember that whatever framing or posts are underneath the siding around the opening, they are holding up the porch roof. They can't just go away!

• mt48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

good point, having had renovations in my home, I know what surprises can be in store! Thanks.

• stlouisgaltoo
    9 years ago
    I agree with adding an interesting window in that opening. With screens. The best of both worlds.
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    9 years ago

That roof is small enough that a couple of proportionately sized columns replacing the boxes will be enough to hold up the roof. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are or were craftsman tapered columns under those square boxes. Looks to me like someone boxed it in and applied the vinyl siding to "update" it.

• pdk920
    9 years ago

I'm thinking the same thing, Al Fortunato Furnituremaker. Interesting to see what was originally there.

• PRO
    Planters Unlimited
    9 years ago

Consider adding a window planter that would span the length of the opening. Most can be placed right on top of the ledge, or you can bolt them directly to the building. Add both trailing and mounding plants for a dramatic effect.

• PRO
    Out of the Woods Construction & Cabinetry, Inc.
    8 years ago

Salvaged stained-glass or leaded glass window to the right of the front door.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.