grrrrrrr

Paint vs Replace Siding

grrrrrrr
8 years ago
Hello! This home looks like mine. I see you painted the exterior instead of replacing the siding. I thought since our wood siding was the original 1965 siding, it would have to be replaced. I don't know how to determine if the siding is worth saving, and who can give me an honest answer. I love what you did with the home pictured. I only wish you were in Maryland! Can you tell me how to determine if I can keep the siding and have it repaired and painted?
Wayne Split Level Exterior - Before · More Info

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Heinold Home Improvement LLC
    8 years ago

Sorry for the delay in answering. I assume your home has combed or striated cedar siding like the house referenced above, which was very popular in the 1960's. If so, your decision should be based upon the condition of the siding. While cedar is rot resistant, these shakes tend to warp, crack and at times, even disintegrate. Carpenter bees seem to have an affinity for it as well! If this is the case with a majority of your siding, you should consider having the siding replaced or covered. If, on the other hand, the siding substrate is in reasonably good shape, the few affected shakes can be replaced and the house can certainly be painted. It's important to find a professional painting contractor in your area with experience painting this type of siding, since the preparation, products used, and application process definitely affect the final product. Please keep in mind that no matter how good the contractor, the siding will never look brand new. Due to the age of the siding, many layers of paint may have built up over time. This type of siding can't be sanded, so close up you may see where areas have been scraped to remove loose paint.

I hope this has been helpful. Whatever you decide, good luck with your home!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.