jsettina

how and/or where is the wisteria planted and trained to grow on the pergola?

joan settina
11 years ago
I have a deck which is about 3 ft off the ground and a pergola built to cover it. I would like to cover the surface of the pergola with wisteria to create the same effect.
Winston Farm · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Cross River Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    There is a small planting bed at the end of the terrace to the right. Wisteria will naturally grow up vertical surfaces, so training the plant is generally not needed.
  • PRO
    Urban Landscape
    11 years ago
    Looks great! What are the dimensions of the pergola?
  • PRO
    Cross River Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Thanks! 20' x 14'.
  • PRO
    Urban Landscape
    11 years ago
    awesome! Thank you for reply
  • PRO
    Virtual Access Tours
    11 years ago
    Wisteria and other climbers like Clematis and roses can't ever have their roots dry and hot. The soil should always be cool and moist enough to cake a handful of soil in a dry hand. One trick to create and collect moister from soil condensation is to bury a plastic container in the ground that can chill the surround soil around the roots. Putting the bucket in the ground encourages the roots to grown down for the moister and out away from the trunk and acts as a natural air conditioner. Watering from the surface only encourages plants to grow roots along the surface where they become weak from bugs, disease and drought.

Construction:
    Heat a sewing needle with a lighter and pierce three holes in the bottom of the container with three on top. This creates a drip water irrigation that will last for weeks, or days depending on the weather. Plastic paint buckets with lids from one to five gallons, can be had in your local paint shop. The better buckets have screw tops which allow easier access. Trim the bucket off with material that will make it blend in to your architecture and to prevent lifting from seasonal ground water pressure. Add liquid fertilizer to the water bath as needed in the growing season.

Benefits:
    Watch your vines propagate with a rage during the peak growing season and stay plush green during hot dry spells. Eliminate ugly standing hoses that distracts from your natural beauty. Maximize your growing time to cover the structure and ensure it stays healthy year round. Marvel at the way your friends try to guess your secrets to good gardening.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.