sarij

Guest room for Parent, clean slate

sarij
8 years ago
Please help, have a small guest bedroom in my rental house that doesn't get much light and has no love in it right now. It is a guest bedroom but also one my mum stays in once or twice a week and I really want to make it a more inviting space for her. I have pared it back completely, ready for a change - the things that stay are the headboard and bed. I can't change the paint or carpet due to it being a rental property. Any comments would be welcome that change the varying shades or beige!

Comments (12)

• Natalia Gabriel
    8 years ago

I would first do up the bed in a splash of warm colour with matching curtains. Pick a colour that's not too dominating for the small space but enough to brighten it up. Add some wall accents (posters/framed pictures), a wall lamp and if you have the space, a little desk or corner table.

• joybell22
    8 years ago

How's about, a nice long mirror, leaning on the wall?(as you proly can't put holes in wall in rental)....a picture collage of family.A suggestion to perhaps, move bed, under window, with a hall stand table hidden behind and a long planter box, with some madonna lilies, or ferns on top, so greenery is just above bed head, with window behind.Get rid of long heavy curtain, put pretty sheer one over venetians, and pretty cover on bed.

Bedside table, with thoughtful touches for nice visit, such as, Mums fav book, a table lamp, perhaps essential oil burner, tissues, a torch,(for nighttime loo visits, my Mum uses on,lol,) hmmmm, some chokkies...enjoy making the room nice for Mum.Post a pic when you're done please ?

• fianou
    8 years ago

I think a really nice patterned quilt or bedspread. Try and strike a nice balance between your mums taste and yours. Make it like a little retreat for her... Include some nice hangers in the cupboard and a spot to pop a suitcase up... Like a nice wide ottoman or a wooden slat bench. I don't know what they are actually called but I picked one up second hand and they often have them at hotels. Maybe also put up some old photos of you and your mum from when you where a kid. I've seen framed old toys too... I guess just some touches to show your mum she is welcome and honoured. I have a few bedspreads and linens I inherited from my parents and my parents in law. I always put them on the bed when the respective parent visits. A dressing table would be nice too. With her own sets of toiletries. I would include in the cupboards extra blankets, a dressing gown, slippers, some extra coats and the sorts of things that the she might forget or not want to bring every time. I think its more about the little touches.

What colours would she like?

• Angela Prestwood
    8 years ago
    Splash of colour eg; cushion, throw rug, floor mat, picture, plant. If you're not into too much colour, go for different textures to create some interest. Have fun decorating
  • baysig
    8 years ago

Hi Sarij, You have quite a few great ideas here.....particularly midesign0401. Just a further practical thought on your mirrors or picture-hanging....you will have absolutely no problem with your landlord/agent if you use removable hooks. They really do work for all weights, from 500 g up to 10 kg....or heavier if you use multiple hooks! Your hardware store will have several brands. I've used them in my own homes and those of my clients....(it's good to leave a house 'holes-free' for the new owner!) Have fun!

• vivian gaglia
    8 years ago
    You could change sheets and add pictures to the wall that would look nice
  • vivian gaglia
    8 years ago
    Sorry I meant the colour
  • PRO
    Interior Designs by Lynette
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Choose your/her favourite colour. Add a nice bedspread, two rectangle cushions and a curtain in the strongest favourite colour on the bedspread. Add a bed throw. Then find a low chest of draws or small rectangle coffee table as your mum probably brings a suite case/overnight bag then she can just dump that on top of this low chest of draws/coffee table - Or hunt down a fold out suite case stand - you know like in the hotel suites. Alternatively, a small console table with a mirror on top to create a space for toiletries/makeup and a few small ceramic containers on that would add decor and when she comes you could splash out on a vase of flowers. Place either furniture piece against the wall near the cupboards.

• PRO
    MAGUIRE + DEVINE ARCHITECTS
    8 years ago

We are based in Hobart but operate statewide. We are happy to apply some colours to guttering and eaves to a photo of your house, or discuss other minor improvements. The existing grey brick is maintenance free (apart from cleaning) and is more timeless than other bricks or painted options. 0438312558

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love the fact that there is a built in wardrobe to maximise the use of the narrow space. You've already received plenty of really great suggestions.

A colourful bedspread with a few scatter cushions, a piece of artwork for the wall to the right of the bed as you enter the room and an indoor plant or vase with flowers on the bedside table will instantly make it welcoming. If you can't get permission to put the artwork up with those 3m hooks, try styling the bedside table with the artwork leaning back against the wall, a few books, a framed picture and a couple of ornaments. I've put a link to an image below that might help:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/434667801513448339/

It'd be great to see a picture of what you end up doing with this space sarji.

• baysig
    8 years ago

Just a quick update to the removable hooks.....they really are removable, leave absolutely no sign they have been there, do not damage walls or doors and you do not need to ask agent or landlord if you can use them. I love the look of artwork leaning on walls Macu Design, too, but if they slip they can scratch the paint (having had a grrrr moment myself!) Think you have lots of good tips here Sarij. Look forward to seeing the result.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.