kathrynaragon

Please be brutally honest! Living room design drama!

Melanie Poland
8 years ago

OK. I love our living room furniture, so please don't recommend that we change any of that. What I'm concerned about are two things - the mantel, which is the focal point of the room, and the wall color in that room.

We recently bought some new furniture and now I think our mantel is too frou frou. It doesn't seem to match the richer, less formal furniture. I love the molding and mantel and hearth, and am not about to change them, but what I CAN change is what's on the mantel and above the fireplace.

As for the room color - actually it's not quite as "minty" as these pictures from my cell phone imply. But it is a very light, fresh green. I do love green walls - I think they are relaxing and I love green and blue together, with orangey accents, and those are the colors in my rug, my artwork, and my collection of carnival glass which shines so happily around the room. So maybe I need to change the SHADE of the green walls.

Finally, I conducted a very unscientific poll on Facebook, about which personal photo I should put on a canvas above the fireplace, to tone down the "shabby chic" or "formal" feel of the fireplace and mantel. I am thinking frameless canvas, about 36 x 36 inches, but I am open to suggestions. I am also posting the top three final photos from my FB "poll."

Please be very honest - I know this room needs work! Just don't suggest that I chuck the furniture and start over because that's not happening. I have to work with the furniture but the art, doodads, and wall coloring can be changed.

Comments (217)

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love that green. Heck, I love green walls PERIOD. The color above though is nearly exactly what I currently have - I think it is too light and cool (even though it has some yellow to it - so does mine currently but not enough).

What color do you folks recommend for my walls?

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    If you go back and look I gave you several colors from BenjaminMoore earlier in this thread. It is quite a ways back, but they are some greens I have used over the years that I have found to be very versatile. That does not mean however that they will work in your lighting situation but it is a place for you to start.
    Melanie Poland thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Ok found them mosaic tile 1517, Spanish olive 1509, dried basil 1510( that darker shade we talked about) , Paris rain1501. If these don't work move down the fan deck to a grayer green like northern cliffs 1536 or inner balance 1522. You wil be surprised how green some of those grayed tones can be and how soft and lovely they will look.
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh, I love that Paris Rain color! Thank you!

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    It is nice, but be careful, of all the colors I sent you it is the coolest which is I believe your natural inclination! You may have to venture out of your comfort zone here to get the look your after so try some samples and see how they work in the daylight:)
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very true. See that big picture hanging above my sofa? Behind that is where I am going to paint samples!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I see nothing in your home decor which correlates with the things you love in your ideabook. You say you like a dark room...do it. Paint your walls a dark gray.

Washington Street · More Info

Take everything off the mantel except for the frame. It will look gorgeous against a dark gray wall.

Your end tables are too small and delicate for the sofa. Replace with floor lamps.

Ottoman on the rug is distracting. Either follow Darzy's suggestion of changing the rug to a sisal or change the ottoman to a wood coffee table.

In addition to my design business I do staging for a large real estate firm. IMO, you have too many knick knacks around the house and they are taking away from your better pieces. You don't need to fill every space. In your case, less is more.

P S the skirted table....maybe better in a bedroom?

Melanie Poland thanked JudyG Designs
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Judy - not blaming you because this thread is long, but I think maybe you haven't followed the updates. But thanks for chiming in!

I don't want dark walls and though gray is a trendy color, I don't care for it myself at ALL. So I'll pass on dark gray walls. Plus this room, while it has big windows, overlooks a covered porch and a backyard with lots of trees (and faces northwest) so it definitely has it's "dark moments" anyway. No, I do not want dark walls in this particular room at all.

What I really want is a deep, dark blue room somewhere in my house, like a library room. But I have no place for anything like that in this particular house. A girl can dream, though, right?

I am already on the prowl for new end tables. I want tables, not floor lamps, because we use those tables. Both ends of the sofa are great reading spots, and my family is a reading family, so we need tables there to catch books and to set a mug of hot tea down on. I am looking for bigger, taller, heavier tables - preferably not matching tables. You are right though - the tables are too small.

I have reworked the mantel completely. I think it looks MUCH better - in fact, I think it looks great. I moved the frame into the dining room. PS - I also uncluttered the dining room after this picture was taken - LOL.

Here is the new mantel - much more my natural style. I am pleased with this look.

The ottoman on the rug isn't bothering me, but I haven't ruled out moving this rug into another room and replacing the rug with something very plush in a solid color.

Finally, there isn't a skirted table - it just had a table cloth over it. It's a fabulous vintage tablecloth with beautiful needlework, but I agree, it needed to go. Here is the table now without the cloth - I love it and while I know some people will think that's "too much stuff," I think it's beautiful. The picture, by the way, is one I took in England on the moors, and then I found this English antique porcelain sheep and it looks exactly like the picture of the sheep that I took! I thought that was pretty cool.

I have been steadily decluttering the house over the past few days. I like it better. I am pretty sure I still have more "stuff" in it than you or some others would prefer but this is my personal style and I'm comfortable with it. There's a fine balance. While I appreciate your opinion, and I understand your POV as a "stager" particularly - my house isn't on the market and it's not a showroom. It's a lived in house and it's where I spend a lot of time. We've traveled a lot and lived all over the world and have a military family that is far flung in every direction, so I enjoy the mementos and reminders of people and places that I love. It's always a challenge to keep that balance between clutter and cool stuff and occasionally I have to go through and get ruthless about removing things!

Here are some photos of the spaces now that I've removed some stuff. Probably too cluttered for some people, but I personally like this amount of "stuff."

When I get new tables for either side of the sofa, I promise only to put a lamp and a coaster on each of them! LOL

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

Yes, I did read all of the comments; but those responses do not reflect my honest opinion for which you asked. I have no problem with objects which are special to the homeowner, I just object to fillers which detract from the more important pieces.

You may enjoy this article...grouping collections:https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-best-of-my-houzz-20-beloved-collections-artfully-displayed-stsetivw-vs~28093903

Melanie Poland thanked JudyG Designs
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Everything looks wonderful, but I want to see the decluttered dining room. Please?

• PRO
    Heritage Home Rugs
    8 years ago

Here are some area rug suggestions:

EMPIRE COLLECTION

Melanie Poland thanked Heritage Home Rugs
  • PRO
    Carol Chapman/ Interiors Etc.
    8 years ago

that's a lot of comments!

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Judy - sorry, but it didn't seem like you had read the updates since you stated that the frame should be removed from the mantel and it already has been. I appreciate your honesty, even if I disagree with some of your suggestions. Several posters on this thread have made suggestions that I like and that I don't particularly like in the same paragraph or post so it's all good! I take what resonates with me and don't take the other stuff personally.

Good article, by the way - thanks for the link!

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Soosun - that IS the "uncluttered" dining room - LOL (I'm trying!). I took out the table runner, some silly cushions on the chairs, a bowl of potpourri, some candles, and a basket under the tiled table between the windows. Should I remove more stuff? What would I remove? I think the table needs a center piece, and all I have on the other table is a lamp, a plate and a small pheasant figurine. I need to keep the rug in there, and the curtains, and I have received a lot of good feedback on the wall arrangement of the frame, clock and plates. What do you suggest?

• catgo
    8 years ago
    K
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

My bad! I read the comment I have not posted new pic yet, so I read no further. I am really sorry. The room looks wonderful and I feel bad that you have forever walls that will not allow you to paint the whole room that gorgeous gold paint. My eye still feels that the vertical three pics should be closer to the center curvy frame but it could just be the camera angle. I do love the room and you are done! Chandy could be improved it if was 30-36 inches above the table top from the lowest part of the light, and it probably is again, camera angle.....just dotting all my 'i's'. I hope you are happy with the results and glad that you are surrounded by all your memories, especially the little sheep and all those adorable birdies....makes me want to get some, but then I would have to travel all over the world like you have. hahaha Good job, Melanie! Brave you are to take all this advice and act on it.

Melanie Poland thanked Susan Davis
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Your dining room does look beautiful. Am confused about your forever wall. If you want to paint the rest of your dining room that nice gold color it can be done; can you sen me a pic of the other side of the room? I am guessing it goes straight past your front door but does it end in a corner past that?
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Melanie, and other discussions bring this up: it's nice to see your personality in your rooms -- what is a home for [budget allowing I mean]? Creativity!

Melanie Poland thanked everdebz
  • Jules M
    8 years ago

I think your home is lovely - very warm and inviting!! You have been such a great sport about some of the comments and not taking anything too personal. I think we all learn to work with certain furniture items that we have paid good money for and also other items that have great sentimental value for us. That is the fun and challenge of decorating! Your home obviously works for you and your family. I agree with you that when you find side tables for your sofa, to look for non matching ones. Especially since your lamps already match. I think it is fine even if the tables are different heights as that will break up some of the symmetry that you are wanting to avoid. You're doing a great job!

Melanie Poland thanked Jules M
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    The end tables in my living room don't match, in fact they are not even the same color wood. I found one in an antique shop and the other at an estate sale quite some time later. Sometimes you just have to wait till just the right thing comes along!
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL Ok, I tried to take pictures of my "forever walls" to show that once I turn the corner from the "accent wall" in either the dining room or the office, I am stuck with painting all the way to the ceiling of the second floor - about 25 feet up at least. NO BUENO!

I am going to wait till the right thing comes along regarding the end tables and my goal is for them NOT to match.

Still working on things! Regarding wall colors - I do love that gold. I wonder what a paint two shades lighter in that same tone would look like in the living room?

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

My only suggestion would be to put up crown moulding at ceiling height in the rooms perimeter and ignore any wall above the ceiling height?

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Love the architecture of you house! Does the wall go straight into your foyer behind the columns?
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, there is no break. And I've considered running a piece of molding just down the wall behind the pillars but darn it, I think that will look contrived because then I will either have to do it on the other side of the door, leading into the office, or it will look odd.

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Soosun, but my front door window is well above ceiling height so that won't work there. It would look REALLY weird, I think. Listen, don't feel bad. I even had my interior designer who redid my kitchen come over and we mulled this over for at least an hour, walking back and forth, measuring, etc and even she finally said, "You're just going to have to paint the entire area. How are you on a scaffold?" NOT GOOD.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Ok I just went to my computer and I can now actually see your forever wall. Looked completely different on my phone!
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It really does go on forever.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    It is such a pretty space really!!! Because of all the angles I would leave it alone. You are absolutely right that you would have to do that whole wall and go straight up; there is no natural break. But because you also have lots of angles here I wouldn't do that anyway; would make this space look choppy. Let's all be happy with the pretty gold accent wall OK:)
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I personally am. I did that color on three walls in the same space actually - the opposite walls in the dining room and office and then the small triangular staircase wall. I also did some stenciling there.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    There is only one proper way to do this and that is to build a small wall separating your dining room from your foyer. You would lose a column in the process tho unless you make it very shallow.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Running moulding just won't work in this case ; you have combs and moulding in your foyer and it will look contrived.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    It appears you only have about 8- 10 in. From the cap of the column to the outside wall. Not really enough to build out a small wall there:(
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And I do love this little space in my house.

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think I am stuck. However, I have an idea. I am strongly considering diluting this fabulous color a few shades and then having the rest of the whole interior (dining room, stairway, office, all the way to the very tall ceiling) professionally painted. As it is right now, the off white paint doesn't show off the fabulous molding that is throughout the space. I want that to really pop. But I'm not about to get on a scaffold to do it!

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    That little space is charming! And great job on the stenciling too! I think a lighter shade of that gold would be a wonderful solution to your problem.
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet to get the results and satisfaction you are seeking, but generally you only have to bite once!!! haha

• columbia93
    8 years ago

I have a little desk exactly like yours that my uncle passed down to me. Unfortunately he refinished it and the stuff he used makes it stink, even after all these years. Haven't been able to bring myself to do anything about it as he passed many years ago. Maybe some day...

I do love the idea of hanging that wreath off the tiny knob on the front. THAT I might be able to do!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I think the wreath is carved into the desk lid?

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, the wreath is carved and permanently attached. I love this little oak desk. It is in mint condition and I didn't have to do a thing to it. I researched it thoroughly, which was easy to do because it has some identifying markings on it, and it is about 100 years old and made in the US, probably the Chicago area. I got it for a song! I think I paid only $200 for it. I just bought it a few months ago.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    What a wonderful deal! Melanie, if you still have the paint color of your dining room, just check the color chart for that and go a couple shades lighter. Sometimes adding white to an existing paint doesn't quite work out. I would rather you look for a lighter version of that gold than try to tweek it. That is a large space and will need a lot of paint!
  • Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh I'm definitely going to hire a professional! LOL

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK, updated living room pictures! Thanks to the advice I've gotten here, I have changed out my end tables. Whew, that was sort of an ordeal because I didn't want matchy matchy stuff. I moved the book table from behind the chair to the left of the fireplace, to one side of the sofa. Then I found this adorable barley twist tea cart from around 1920 for the other side.

Before:

After:

But the coup de grace was these 1980s ginger jar lamps that I inherited from my mother in law. I updated the shades on them with these fabulous new orange shades, and wow, look at the difference!

Then I moved the standing lamp, and added a hanging lamp, to give light to the two matching chairs by the fireplace. I needed more seating in here, so I moved them away from the front of the fireplace, and put a low ottoman in front of the fireplace. (I had to get creative with this ottoman and change out the legs because it was originally taller, being actually probably a trunk for the foot of the bed.)

Anyway, the crazy thing is, now that I've changed out the lamps and done these other things, I think I'm going to stick with the wall color - I think it looks much better with more orange in the room. At any rate, it looks fresh and lively, which is the look I was going for and which can be difficult with heavy, dark furniture. I have to say - I LOVE THESE ORANGE LAMP SHADES!

• Darzy
    8 years ago

The lamps and orange shades are the bomb! The orange shades really bring out the orange in the art above the sofa too. Nicely done!

Melanie Poland thanked Darzy
  • tgb1
    8 years ago

I think your room looks great!

Melanie Poland thanked tgb1
  • llens1
    8 years ago

Ditto the room really feels pulled together!! I keep going to the first post pictures to compare before and after.

Glad you updated us!

Melanie Poland thanked llens1
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Oh the orange and the green are I think complementary colors that make each other look more intense and brighter too. The room looks so 'collected' and cozy and comfortable, not sterile and cold. Right on!

Melanie Poland thanked Susan Davis
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Personal.

• Melanie Poland
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, all - I love the room now! It's really very expressive of myself, how I feel in general - love the orange and green and blue and the rich, dark antique furniture and yet a casual feel. I finally found the right mix I think. Whew - that was a lot of work. You guys really helped me find my way.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

That's great!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.