elizabeth_devlin

3 % Solar Shades - Enough for direct Glare?

Elizabeth Devlin
11 years ago
I'm replacing shades on two small windows in my dining room and the window over my kitchen sink and need some advice from folks with experience with solar shades.

The kitchen one is easy; I currently have a solar shade I have been very happy with (lots of light and keeps the view without the glare) and will just replace it with a different color that goes with my new tile and paint.

The dining room, however, is problematic. The windows are high on the wall and for 2-3 months of the year the sun comes directly in and into my eyes when I'm having my breakfast. I finally put up roller shades a couple of years ago, but I hate them (blackout style, won't go up all the way, ugly plastic chain).

Would 3% solar shades cut the glare in the dining room (with direct sun) enough so I stop suffering during breakfast?

I've chosen the solar shade for the adjacent kitchen (10% Alabaster) and could get matching ones for the dining room, but with a tighter weave (3% Alabaster). If it would work, that's what I would prefer; I wouldn't have to endlessly open and close the shade (even closed allows lots of light). Since I'm going to go with spring loaded this time to avoid the ugly and ineffective chain, opening and shutting is a problem (I'm very short and the windows are high up on the wall).

My other alternative is a deluxe fabric light filtering roller shade. Based on the sample I have, that will block the glare enough. But it will leave me with less light than the solar shade or a need to climb up and open and close it every day for 2-3 months.

Anyone have experience with how well 3% solar shades block glare?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you might offer, I have to order the shades in the next couple of days to get them in in time for the workmen.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Kevin Twitty Interiors
    11 years ago
    I have used solar shades before. I have never heard a problem with 3%
  • fray4713
    11 years ago
    i have the same problems, but the size i have is wide need special order, give me your $ spent and resourse
  • PRO
    BoHo Furniture Gallery
    11 years ago
    3 % Openess is the tightest weave available besides opaque. The darker the fabric color the more visibility you will have from the interior. Lighter colored shades tend to be much more difficult to see through.
  • PRO
    Shades IN Place
    11 years ago
    Stephanie Allen - I have to disagree: several companies currently offer 1% opening. I offer 1-3-5-7-10-12-15 openness plus light filtering and blackout fabrics.
  • PRO
    GRAND HOME AUTOMATION
    11 years ago
    Elizabeth, you state "I wouldn't have to endlessly open and close the shade (even closed allows lots of light). Since I'm going to go with spring loaded this time to avoid the ugly and ineffective chain, opening and shutting is a problem (I'm very short and the windows are high up on the wall)." But have you considered the new battery-powered wireless controlled shades from Lutron? Their insulating honeycomb cellular shades look great open or closed and you won't need to comprimise on the operating mechanism. http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocumentlibrary/3672208.pdf
  • misterzoot
    11 years ago
    You don't mention whether you want to see out the windows. If you don't see blue sky or trees or something, you might consider using obscured glass and forget the shades and the constant moving up and down. In rooms with tons of light (during certain times of day), we've had good luck with our top-down bottom-shades. You can adjust them throughout the year depending on where the sun comes up and avoid the glare factors pretty well. Of course, when the light conditions are right, you'll want the views, so the top-down, bottom-up shades (which also can be adjusted for translucence) work out nicely.
  • PRO
    BoHo Furniture Gallery
    11 years ago
    If your budget can stretch a bit further then the true best option is an exterior mount with motorization. Forget the ugly continuous chain/cord pulls and the hassle of spring loaded (you can have the company make you a wand to reach the spring loaded). And, to address shades IN place's offering, anything lower than a 3% openess is so tight of a weave that it is impossible to see through. And, views were mentioned here. If some of the windows have views and some do not, still all the shades in the same room need to be the same openess. Exterior Shades you will love if done by a very reputable company and will also lower your power bills in the summer where interior shades are not near as helpful. :)
  • eep_103_102_210
    3 years ago

Searching for similar advice. I thought I'd add to a thread instead of starting one (not sure pros or cons). (What mechanism do you have in your kitchen - pros / cons - I don't have a lot of room for a valance - see photo). + I have a whole house to do as we've just arrived - no big concern about privacy, but do need to shut it for the summer. I thought about 1% on south facing windows, but realized I wouldn't enjoy those while in use. Now thinking 3, 5, 10 depending and then doing an exterior shutter (not this year) and / or a DIY thing - like just tacking up paper black out shades or some sort of material while gone on south windows... Is there a good product that won't look SO ugly for neighbors walking by? (Thinking the reflective stuff would be too ugly for them.) My other BIG issue is the Lutron valance is 5 inches and soo ugly. This is a simple home, but I have huge windows -- and plenty of room to mount inside - then realized how much 'real estate' I'm losing. I have 'peeky' views (nothing spectacular) so need to preserve every inch of sky / trees / mountain at the tops of the windows. This is quasi MCM and I actually like the look of a rolled shade (reverse roll), and have noticed so many designer photos features these, even when talking motorized or 'hiding' mechanisms! Then I start worrying about 'ugly' or 'plastic' chains or those plastic pull down tabs for cordless. Is there a company with really 'nice' stainless chains? These are big windows mostly and I am not sure about the pull tab. A top down/bottom up could be useful but roller / solar (and some wood shutters) are all I've ever used... Welcome any advice!

!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.