borno

Very serene!

borno
8 years ago
Regarding the sholi doors, are these frames with adjustable shades? How could this be adapted for colder climates where they may need to be removed to protect from snow? Thanks
Japanese Tea House · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Ki Arts
    8 years ago

Thank you for your interest. These shoji doors are yukimi shoji which means the shades can move up and down as well as the door moving sideways. This tea house, located in San Rafael, CA, has amado or solid wooden shutters that are hidden in pockets and can be slid in front of the shoji doors in rainy weather. The amado is a traditional element in the construction of a Japanese tea house. A contemporary innovation that can be used on shoji doors and withstand rain is a synthetic waterproof "paper". The amado or sliding wooden shutters are essential in cold climates. I built two Japanese pavilions in Quebec, Canada that incorporate the wooden shutters. You can see them if you go to this page of my website http://kiarts.com/portfolio/canada

borno thanked Ki Arts
  • borno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Did check your website, good to see a structure in the snow! Thank you

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.