ophulus

How to utilise space beneath structural beam to build closet?

ophulus
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

We're thinking of building a reach-in closet/storage in our spare bedroom which will be a future nursery (storage for clothing and boxes of toys and perhaps a small bookcase). There's a structural beam running across the space and we would like to know how we can utilise the space beneath it. We'd appreciate any ideas or advice :)

Note: The space is right behind the bedroom door. We'd like to add a curtain rod under the beam to close up the space/closet with a curtain. The length of the beam/space is about 6 feet.

Comments (2)

• PRO
    BLDG Workshop Inc.
    8 years ago

this is fairly typical to closets (because most have a door with this type of construction above the door opening).

the most typical way to deal with this awkward space is to have 12" deep shelves as high as you can reach. The other 12" of depth (the front half of the closet) is used to reach up into in order to access that which is on the shelves.

• misfoursir
    8 years ago
    Yes great explanation. I have the same thing in my house. I have thinner shelves at the top and then thicker toward the bottom. It's a two tier.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.