jeremy_hourigan

How durable is the Cygnus "granite"?

Jeremy Hourigan
8 years ago
We are contemplating putting Cygnus quartzite (Bedrosian calls it quartzite) in our home. Can anyone comment on the durability of this stone. It's clearly a sedimentary rock (not a granite)...i'd like to know if it is calcareous (i.e. has some of the constituent mineral in marble and limestone). If so does it stain / etch easily?
McTavish · More Info

Comments (6)

• loralie29
    8 years ago

Jeremy, did you end up going with the Cyguns quartzite from Bedrosians? I just purchased 3 slabs today of the 3cm polished from Bedrosians in Orange, CA and really hoping it holds up well. It is labeled as a quartzite which is supposed to be as strong as granite....but then the sales slip states: Attention: soft quartzite. That made me question my decision. Beautiful slabs though.

• kristineputt
    7 years ago

Loralie29, did you wind up with the Cygnus and how has it held up for you? We're seriously considering Cygnus for our kitchen counter. I'd like to get an honest feedback from someone who has this product. Very afraid of making a costly mistake. This is such a huge decision for us!

• ftoofanian
    7 years ago
    I have the same question about the stone. Bedrosian has a couple of the slabs left and I'm considering them for bathroom counters. If anyone has already installed this, please comment on durability, stains, scratches, etc. thank you.
  • PRO
    Canadian Woodwork
    7 years ago

It's like with any granite, as long as it's factory sealed, you shouldn't have any issues with some general level of care.

• kimberallison
    7 years ago

It's a granite from Brazil. I put it in my kitchen and absolutely love it! No problems at all so far. LED under cabinet tape lights really make it pop and bring out the sparkle. My granite company told me they weren't able to find any more slabs when I was going to use it in my master bath as

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.