oliviakwardatuivaga

Serious Slug Situation

We moved into an old terrace in Sydney and our downstairs lounge has unwanted late night visitors - SLUGS!

We've never actually seen them but they come out when we're sleeping and leave their filthy shiny tracks all over our carpet and our lounge!!

They must be coming in under our doors (2 doors lead out from the lounge room into the courtyard) despite us having double door snakes and high steps leading up to the door.

We can't deal. HOW DO WE GET RID OF THEM?!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    kg.karoleenagrace
    8 years ago
    You could try sprinkling salt or like pepper spray or something?
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked kg.karoleenagrace
  • dohraime
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Try putting a strip of copper tape across doorways where you think they come in.

And yes, beer to entice any that have come in!

Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked dohraime
  • PRO
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks @dohraime! Thanks for the link too - I'll be buying some asap!

• User
    8 years ago

Gravel path all around the house, chunky sharp mulch on garden beds near the house.

Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked User
  • Julie Huynh
    8 years ago

I don't have a solution... just wanted to say the thoughts of slugs in the house gives me the heeby-jeebies!

• PRO
    Jason Chuck
    8 years ago

A tweak on what @James Pace mentioned is to take a plastic bottle and cut the top 2/3 off of it so it's roughly about 7cm tall from the base. Then cut two strips down two sides of the bottle down to a few cms so it's low (like 3cm off the ground) and fill with crappy beer

Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Jason Chuck
  • kirstieparker
    8 years ago

I feel your pain Olivia, my old terrace house is being invaded by centipedes!

Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked kirstieparker
  • PRO
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The pain is real @Kirstie! Thanks Jason - I'll try that over the weekend!

• cloudpants
    8 years ago
    If you put salt on a slug they 'fizzle' and die. Horrible to watch - my grandmother used to attack them with the salt shaker. I'd try putting a layer of salt at any entry point.
  • User
    8 years ago

Hubby says get some ducks.

• LouieT
    8 years ago

As long as they're not cheeping beer drinkers chookx2!

• User
    8 years ago

If they drink too much they'll have to go to the quack.

• Claire Johnston-Hall
    8 years ago
    Oh yes. I hear ya! We had *major* indoor slug problems for 2 years! Do the tracks actually come from the doorway? Or are you just guessing about that? Is there subfloor access? We had plagues (seriously) living under our house. What finally stopped them was my husband crawling under the house and gap filling every single gap at the bottom of every wall. They were coming in through little gaps under our skirting boards and behind the kitchen cupboards. He then went nuts with the snail bait under the house (where the whole ground was shinny with slug trails). When it rained, I went out to the back patio in the evening and did slug patrol, picking up hundreds of them and dropping them in a bucket of vinegar which kinda cooks them instantly. After a good many slug patrols, the slug trails outside all but stopped and my husbands handy work with the no more gaps did the trick. None for over a year now. Go well!! We had them all over the dining table!! Eeeeeewwww!
    Olivia Kwarda Tuivaga thanked Claire Johnston-Hall
  • dohraime
    8 years ago
    Good idea! Follow the tracks. Do slug trails show up under a black light?
  • User
    8 years ago

Liv! That's the worst. My dad has used copper tape before to fight slugs, try that!

• georgi02
    8 years ago

Just make sure that the copper tape is wide enough that they have to touch it - lesson learnt after watching a couple of super sized slugs lift their bodies straight over the tape.

My favourite trick for them in the garden is to hose and wait - they'll come out and then I spray white vinegar on them - this should help you find the source of entry and kill the immediate invaders. The other thing you can do is spray your door frames and floor where you think they're getting in with pyrethrum.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.