elyoh

Staining Ceiling/Doorframes/Windowframes Darker

Elyoh
8 years ago

Hello, we have just moved into this house (this pic is of the previous owners) and we want to stain the wood a darker more 'walnut' tone as we dont really like the orangeish colour at present. One person has quoted on sanding and oiling it, and another person has quoted on putting a walnut varnish over the top. It starts to get confusing which is the best option!? It will be expensive to do, but it will make the house, so we want to do it right. Anyone got any advice/suggestions?

Comment (1)

• nimrod25
    8 years ago

To do it right, the finish will need to be removed, the color changed, and then the finish put on. Cost wise, I suspect you would be better off replacing all the wood rather than refinishing all the wood. Varnish is a painted on finish that will scrape off if a door is kicked or where wood is touched a lot.

I suggest you embrace the home, it's really beautiful.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.