oppermans

What to do with this huge wall....18ft ceilings

oppermans
8 years ago

Help! What should I do with all this wall space?

Comments (52)

• leelee
    8 years ago

Remove the valance and find another place for the curio cabinet. Don't worry about the wall at this point. Where is your furniture? Other views of the room? No floating shelves.

oppermans thanked leelee
  • PRO
    Metropolitan Design Concepts
    8 years ago

Get rid of the valance over the window and add long drapery that starts under the top window. Then add shelving around the fireplace so the space doesn't look so empty. Good Luck!

Living Rooms · More Info

oppermans thanked Metropolitan Design Concepts
  • oppermans
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Don't mind the mess!

• PRO
    Annex of paredown
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Drop the ceiling fan or replace it with a large lighting fixture. Paint the ceiling the same color as the walls or at least no more than a shade or so lighter. Move the TV further up to get some space between it and the fireplace.
    Move the book shelf unit out of the corner and add to it; flank it with
    stretched fabric panels topped with picture lights, place (silk) plants
    on top. Add a large art piece over the chair. Cozy up the room by placing the sofa in front of and facing the fireplace, add a sofa table or desk behind it.

ok - now that there are more pics....absolutely agree with Metropolitan Design Concept about removing the valances and adding the full length drapes and feel even more strongly that the sofa should be pulled out of the corner and placed in front of the fireplace, with traffic behind it!Maybe a substantial storage unit on the kitchen wall to include upholstered storage benches, kid friendly desk surfaces and both open and closed storage shelves.

oppermans thanked Annex of paredown
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Ack. Move the TV down, not up, all the way down off the fireplace and to the left side.

oppermans thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

I take it back. Pull the sectional out of the corner. Turn it 90 degrees counter clockwise and put it in front of the window with its left side lined up with the fireplace. Put the TV on an articulating arm over a console on the right side of the fireplace. The kids will still have the center of the room to play.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Are those storage ottomans under the window for the kids' toys? Try them in the corner from which you just removed the sectional. Shift the kids' big toys and chair over that way too.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

If you want to be dramatic, you can go floor to ceiling with the drapes. For the rest of the room, emphasize the horizontal with a console on each side of the fireplace and the TV over one, a square piece of art over the fireplace.

Scale is important in a room this size. You can't get away with small stuff here because it immediately looks undersized. Better no decor--candles or frames or tchotchkes--than ones that are too small.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I am not trained, but answers could educate me and help you decide [if that is needed] -- Question: with the pillars/traditional details over that opening, and arched window, doesn't a formal-type valance somehow fit?

Very tall drapes can be so towering and imposing....

About the shades above - do they help with control of light/glare for tv during day?

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Can it be treated as though modern, with just the shades and added into arched glass, like:

Portfolio 1 · More Info

oppermans thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

I would use the metal scroll pieces somewhere else.... and have art there.

Traditional Family Room · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Night lighting fills the wall both down and up / adaptable for your home?

Full metal jacket · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Not everybody does, but I like filling with a design, the upper spaces in such a home. What about 2 trimmed ones like this with its 3?

Millcreek Estates · More Info

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Everydebz design makes more sense to me! The mill work opposite the fireplace is nice; that fireplace is so out of scale and character for this root I would take the surround out and have something larger and grander built with built in shelves to match the rest of the woodwork. Pictures and a couple pieces of furniture won't fix this.
    oppermans thanked lynartist
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

It is not helping having a miniature (child's) chair to the right of the FP.!!

Grover & everdebz have good ideas. But start with clearing all things not belonging in the room out. Sorry it really helps me with design. I would buy a media center which is about 2 feet wider than the TV & placing it to the right of the FP.

Then get some help with moving the sectional out into the room at the position that grover suggested. These two things are going to make such a difference. Look at a lower hanging ceiling fan as well. I think that if you hang the drapes over the tall windows it will give you the feeling that you do not need. (more verticality). Large art above the FP will help a lot. Think of a tapestry:

Circe Invidiosa · More Info

oppermans thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

You will have a great place for the kids to play while you are in the room in the corner where the sectional is now. You can add the toy storage pieces at right angles in the corner, add the little chair & other larger toys as well. I've always thought that you have a lot of pros & cons with a very tall space. I would love to see another photo after the sectional is moved.

• User
    8 years ago

Install built in shelves and base cabinets. Replace the valances with panels. Put the curio cabinet in a smaller room. You need larger scale everything. Paint the walls a lighter shade of what you already have.

oppermans thanked User
  • oppermans
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for the great advice! I really appreciate it. :) My husband suggested something like this....

....thoughts? Thanks again for the feedback. :)

@lynartist - What is your opinion of the picture above? Is that what you were suggesting?

@groveraxel - Thanks for taking the time to make a mock up.

@everdebz - I like the style of the last pic you posted.... Thanks! Also, the shades helps keep the room cool during hot summer months....the same shades are on the bottom windows as well.

@sandradclark - The "miniature (childs) chair" is not its permanent home......the same goes for the other toys in the room.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

How wide is that whole opening across from fireplace? How wide are those windows?

How wide is hubby's huge unit? So huge. My MIL has one and well if it weren't so dark it'd be better, but I'm not so fond of it. What does he want to place in it?!

Also wondering how much useable/ available space is currently to the right of fireplace? ... before people's feet are there walking by...?

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Heat gain can be a pain! So I get it. Small point - is the arch window at top also covered?

Do you think that dummy panels at the sides might also help with controlling heat?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

That huge built in you posted above is dated before it's even installed. If you want to rework the fireplace, there are better ways that will coordinate better with the arch.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Hi oppermans, while I applaud your husbands ambitious plans that isn't exactly what I had in mind . I seem to have lost the ability to post photos but if you go to my profile under fireplace walls there are lots of pics of more updated styles. I think it is important to stay with style in keeping with your woodworking as it is so prominent. This should be made into a feature wall , float your sectional as others have suggested. It would be nice to have storage built into it as this is a family room and you have young children . Rooms such as these are hard to cozy up. I would do side panels from the top window. It would look beautiful coming down the stairs and help muffle noise. You may want to consider hiring a designer in your area to help with this room. Good luck.
  • printesa
    8 years ago

We have something similar. We decided on a large painting (9' by 5').

oppermans thanked printesa
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Oh and ,Everdebz to answer your question from earlier, yes they could do a plantation shutter in the arch part of the window to finish it off. I think builders put these windows in without ever thinking how people will cover them!
  • oppermans
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions, it is SO nice to brainstorm with all of you. Clearly, I'm not the best at decorating.

@groveraxle - I LOVE it! Just double checking.... You think the built ins should be that off white color(?) or the color of mantel - as the mantel matches the stair railing and I think that's what @lynartist suggests. Thank you SO much for your input and examples. I didn't know that's what I wanted until now. Ha!

@everdebz - The arch atop the windows are not covered. The width of the windows is 10' and the width of the opening to kitchen is 11.5'. Hubby's unit is out! Lol Not sure what you mean by "dummy panels?"

• oppermans
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh(!) ... Plantation shutters. Yes! That would look good and help with heat. :)

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    8 years ago

Take the fireplace and use stonework/tile to the top of the ceiling. Create some impact and use the space.

oppermans thanked Raegan Ford Interior Design
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Everdebz means stationary panels, non operational panels that are strictly decorative to add some softness to the room. Large tall rooms like this with big windows tend to echo so stationary panels are a good idea for sound quality. You can install solar shades to the straight parts of your windows and have them motorized with a hand held devise . The shutter on the arched top will add architectural interest and block the sun.
  • PRO
    ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
    8 years ago

I'm a fan of "less is more" on the walls. I like the idea of trim moulding in a slightly darker shade than the wall itself. You can also use them to frame something if you wish.

oppermans thanked ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Actually, I meant the built in should mirror the large arch way on the opposite wall.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    That's a wonderful idea IL! It would look especially wonderful in that big empty space over the arch. Could do that to frame in a piece of artwork and highlight it.
  • PRO
    One Kings Lane
    8 years ago

A creative solve for large blank walls is a salon style art gallery. But don't take our word for it, Bill Powers is our go-to guru for hanging art salon style!

oppermans thanked One Kings Lane
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Brains are storming, haha. Looking at the areas / that it's open concept a bit / view to kitchen. I wouldn't think the tall 'fake curtains' would be necessary - and they'd push right up against the opening woodwork to left. There's contemporary furniture too.

There's an informality I think I'm saying. It's not a closed off room.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I looked closer at Grover's light-trim plan with curtains on lower windows, yo I like it!!!!!! :)

• PRO
    oppermans thanked A-1 Builders and Adaptations Design Studio
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Yes, I know what you mean but I always feel that drapes just on the bottom half look a little wanting. Kind of like you just couldn't quite get there!!! They don't have to be dark heavy things; soft semi- sheer drapes that fall from short rods on the sides would look very nice. It would soften the space. Darn I wish I could attach photos:(
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Occurred as this went by in my Activity that there's such nice detail in stairs, etc...... that grover's is enough [with art added too].

• everdebz
    8 years ago

True, they don't have to be from "Gone with the Wind" style.... [I saw them in the window, and I just had to have them / thanks to Carol Burnett].

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Ha hahahaha. Omg. Can't stop laughing... Yes I am old enough to remember that skit and am still laughing... Thanks for the memories :)
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Pull my ear.... I liked her a lot. LOL.

• PRO
    ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
    8 years ago

I have to add a picture from my favorite 2-story house design :) They have a "bumpout" for more design for the fireplace, but seriously, you only need the moulding in my view. :)

oppermans thanked ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

You have not moved the sectional yet. I'd love to see it where grover suggested. Yes, I knew that was a child's chair but it just exagerated the height of the room so.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

oppermans, in my last rendering, I chose white to mirror the woodwork around the opening between the rooms. Your stair stringer is also white, so it seemed like a logical choice.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

If you're going to do built ins around the fireplace, you might as well rework the mantel and surround. And it you don't want built ins, you can still rework the fireplace so it's a better fit for the space.

• oppermans
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Groveraxle, could I keep the fireplace mantle stained and the built ins white? Also, I really like the fireplace above but don't have the budget for that yet.

Sandradclark, I have yet to move the sectional. Maybe this weekend? Busy week! :)

• everdebz
    8 years ago

It's obvious, but grover's latest has stone[?] to ceiling, and also the drapes.

• Amoeba-meba
    8 years ago
    My favorite idea is still Grover's white built-ins with white mantle. It perfectly balances the white arch opening on the opposite wall. Go Grover!
    oppermans thanked Amoeba-meba
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Pondering balance .... maybe there's enough "up to the ceiling" looks with staircase photo, and opposite arch. The trim photo I pasted might detract in a way from several kinds of beautiful "details."

Grover's stone, up to ceiling balances staircase, but you'll know cause you're there whether it'd seem overpowering, over-towering... :) It might.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the floor to ceiling idea, but if it's not in the budget, at the very least, I think if you should begin by painting the mantle white, to match the other white trim and arch. The dark mantle is visually receding. The white will, I believe, have more presence in the room.

oppermans thanked User
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.