tommyflan

POLL: Monochrome - yay or nay?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

When in doubt, go monochrome - at least that's the mantra I adopt in moments of uncertainty.

Whilst it's not good to see everything in black and white, your home is something that often does look good under the monochrome lens. But is it for you? Vote in our poll and let us know the party line you're walking!

Living Space · More Info

Yay - I love it!
Nay - give me some colour!
Other

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tom,

I do love Monochrome... It can be a subtle variation too... like creams and greys... as opposed to stark white and black... It's possible to be very creative with even the most minimal of colours.. as everything is a different texture and layering is key! : ))

• PRO
    Chris Snook
    8 years ago

I love monchrome! It works well with bold colours to give it some impact.

• fräulein mooy
    8 years ago
    I like it but not for my own home.Guess I would get depressive on longterm... and to be honest I could never pull through this consequently.
  • soozmacrae
    8 years ago

Love it. All you need is great lighting, lots of textures and a vase of fresh flowers.

• angelboyman
    8 years ago

Not for me - anything that's contemporary or modern gets the thumbs down. I don't want to spend a fortune designing my living space only to have to keep re-doing it every few years to follow fashion.

• mendhouse
    8 years ago

Fabulous - monochrome or neutral backgrounds then you can choose (or not) to punch it up with coloured accessories and soft furnishings which are easier to change when you get bored! www.mendinghouses.com

• PRO
    Torn Edge
    8 years ago

Monochrome is simply boring and unadventurous - have you seen anything in nature that is black and white? Even snowy landscape will have some colour in it (at least a blue sky). Use colour, play with it, enhance your life!

• 163 hrd
    8 years ago

In nature there are many examples of black and white: zebra, magpie, badger, and the magnificent orca whale to name a few. Also my cat!

• User
    8 years ago

Monochrome, but with a splash of colour for me

• PRO
    Wesco UK
    8 years ago

Monochrome, but with a few brighter accessories!

• PRO
    Torn Edge
    8 years ago

I take it back - there are black and white examples in nature - thank you 163hrd! I really meant the landscape and the environment at large, these are generally colourful. I love black and white graphics and photos though.

• PRO
    Granada Secondary Glazing
    8 years ago

Monochrome

• PRO
    Mrs Stone Store
    8 years ago

Monochrome is a great interiors trend. Even if you get bored of it after a few years simply adding some bright accessories or an accent colour can totally transform the space and make it look like a re-design.

• PRO
    Secret Linen Store
    8 years ago

We love monochrome, but agree that adding a touch of colour or some natural materials is needed to soften the look (unless the hard black and white is your look). We also love monochrome for kids interiors... so often children are limited to simple colourful bedrooms and monochrome is a great gender neutral scheme that works well and grows with them through the years.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's a pretty even battle - I'm a huge fan though (clearly!). A splash of colour is the way to go though!

@mendhouse - is that your home? Beautiful!

• mendhouse
    8 years ago

@Tom Flanagan - thank you!

It is my last two homes / projects. I went from Regency mansion flat renovation to 1960's tower block for the view. But, Oh what a view!

When I have finished the refurb I will put pics on the website and/ or in my Case Studies eBooks: www.mendinghouses.com. If you sign up for the newsletter I can let you know when each of the books comes out (there are 10 or so in the making - 30 years of doing up property!).

Thanks again for the compliment!

Gill

• dottymax
    8 years ago
    I love colour so apart from black and white photos, no.
  • Heidi Cullen
    7 years ago

My house is extremely colourful but my bedroom is monochrome with the emphasis on the dark side.All parts of my personality exist in my home. It is great for sleeping in as is always black as night!

• PRO
    Geometrico
    7 years ago

I would be a hypocrite to say nay since our product range called is called Mono

• Sasha R
    7 years ago

I voted 'other' because I just love monochrome, but with a pop of a colour!

• PRO
    Bath Bespoke
    6 years ago

Monochrome can look fantastic. But we always love to add an extra pop of colour to draw the eye.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.