anastasia_aston

Where to get chinoiserie wallpaper without costing a fortune?

Anastasia Aston
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm inspired by soft chinoiserie staircase wall. Not at De Gournay prices!

Did anyone else get it without being silk? From UK - I have seen some American ones.

Bonus point - one that can be installed along the staircase wall!

Harlequin Amazilia hummingbird wallpaper and William Morris do not quite cut it.

Comments (44)

• Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have 3 kids under 6 so you may have a point about wallpaper tear and wear :) We currently do have (ancient) wallpaper and kids managed not to wreck it somehow. The plan is to set up second handrail along the wall too, for safety although I agree it may not enhance looks.

I love your bold choices - I did have a look at Emperor's Garden collection book in the shop and considered it.

Me and my husband have same vague idea - paint or wallpaper of any colour that is not white/neutral and not to paint over dark wood staircase woodwork. Very stuck as lots of 'nature' wallpapers do look very busy.

• Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

the current staircase look is (old house!)

• Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    We had wallpaper up the hallway in my old house and it was fine with the 3 kids, not the same as your looking for but we never had any issues with it being ripped
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Anastastia. Your stairs could be ok with paper then so maybe it's just my son! Yes my papers are quite bold but the house can take it fortunately! unfortunately it's quite difficult to mirror actual chinoiserie in a wallpaper given varying ceiling heights (wish they could!). I went with my choices to avoid the linear pattern repeat which I'm not so keen on. You could try Thibaut Shangri-La collection, there are a couple of nice ones in there. Schumacher also have great papers, they are trade only so I can't see the prices although I suspect they are very dear. Alternatively just add some large chinoiserie art. You may be able to pick up some vintage silk on ebay and have them framed over canvas or something. It's unfortunate that you don't appear to have a ŵall in the hall that you could paper. Or maybe just use paint and add a stair runner? You may even be able to find a persian style one as I can spot a rug. You could do the woodwork in darker shades than the walls to add further interest. I must admit though I would be tempted to use a warm neutral on the walls just to lighten the top of the stairs!

Anastasia Aston thanked minnie101
  • Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    Maybe it would depend on the paper Minnie? I was just thinking how the stair one was ok with the kids yet the living room one (mica stone design) never lasted as it was thick and would dent and stones would fall off when touched
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Kerry. You could be right. Mine is actually paint (F&B estate emulsion which can't be washed or touched up successfully :( so I need people in to redo it as the ceilings are so high...). That will cost a fortune hence I'd be wary of using expensive paper. I don't have a hand rail on mine though so perhaps that would actually prevent it? Mind you, yours didn't either! I think it's just my son.

Anastasia Aston thanked minnie101
  • Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh no, definitely modern emulsion all the way! But yes my kids wreck bedrooms/living room more than hallway.

Love the Thibaut collections, just none of them are quite the colour that I am after. More blue/teal and avoid too much cream/taupe.

Thought I saw the one when I saw Timorous Beasts. That was before I saw the price per roll. Ouch!

If I can find something similar, that would be amazing.

http://www.timorousbeasties.com/mediaLibrary/images/english/3962018.jpg

• minnie101
    8 years ago

I don't really know what else to suggest to get a truly authentic chinoiserie paper to be honest, they are just so expensive. You could have a look at Laura Ashley Summer Palace paper or similar and then hand paint some of the flowers and birds in different colours to make it unique. I also have Cole and Son Primavera in another room which I think they may do in blue, it is a chinoiserie paper but I'm not sure it's the style you're after. Or buy plain wallpaper, hang it, paint it blue and then buy a mix of stencils and hand paint the stencils unless you know someone who can draw/paint obviously! Did you contact Eades whom I suggested before? If not, it may be worth having a chat with these guys http://peacockandpiano.mysupadupa.com/collections/home/products/rose-and-plum-blossom-chinoiserie-wallpaper

• Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    Just seen this Minnie, your hallway sounds fab, the paper in mine did last but it was £15 a roll so I wouldn't have been too heartbroken of anything happened to it lol.

Back to paper, have you tried going to local paper shop and flipping through the books of same papers they have from different designers? Only reason I ask is I never used to know that they existed and was sunrises that some of them worked out at like £50 a roll, obviously some are sold by the meter as well but just for more ideas. Also I think the paper looks quite oriental, have you tried looking at supliers in China( can't remember that site that imports from there? Know it's shipping costs but may save a lot still.
  • Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    My phone is crazy, sunrise is surprised,,
  • Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Your house sounds a joy to live in, minnie :)

Not easy to live with taste that vastly exceeds even a generous budget! :) Eades is definitely firmly on my list of people to contact, thank you for the link.

For others who want a silk at China prices not Western prices, to save the trouble for everybody else:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?initiative_id=AS_20151016055045&site=glo&shipCountry=uk&SearchText=hand+painted+chinoiserie+wallpaper&page=2

• Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Almost tragic to be such a wallpaper geek now that I didn't even have to look up when you mentioned Cole and Son Primavera :)

As non-chinoiserie option I actually do totally love Cole and Son hexagon (white or teal) but my husband is not as keen. He wants more flower stuff :)

• PRO
    Wells & Trembath
    8 years ago

Anastasia..a dilemma indeed as chinoiserie is expensive. One of my clients had same issue (but not on the stairs) and chose Ralph Lauren Marlowe Floral PRL048/07 for the dining room (see attached)

which comes in only one colour way with gold/bronze background but is still about £145 a roll so not cheap, but less expensive than chinoiserie. Have you considered putting up a painted dado rail (part way up the wall) and paint below and paper above? This would avoid too much damage and would reduce the amount if papar required. You can get a free sample from designer wallapers on line.

I would also suggest you lighten up the banisters which to me, make the area look a bit dark. Keep the handrail in timber and paint the spindles white or off white to match paper

as mentioned the Chinese bridges comes in other colours and is about £85 a roll

Zoffany Nostell Prioryold gold and green maybe too flowery?comes in 2 other colour ways too

or zoffanys that may work chintz gold from the woodville range

harlequin Pappilion in various colours is not shiny but about £40 a roll

Hope that helps to start with and let me know if Ican elaborate on anthing

Vicki at Wells & Trembath

Anastasia Aston thanked Wells & Trembath
  • PRO
    Wells & Trembath
    8 years ago

Anastasia

just seen some wallaper on the Dunhelm website which has dug egg blue background and trailing floral and birds..£7.99 a roll worth a look!

Vicki

• Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    I seen that Minnie but didn't know how to link it in !
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I just opened up houzz in another webpage and copied the link, that's about as technical as I get!

• PRO
    source style design
    8 years ago

Hi, I know you have received some great comments and I was going to suggest Timorius Beasties, Cole and Son etc. Like you ... I absolutely love De Gournay and was in their showroom a few weeks ago. It is a work of art. One suggestion. I recently reviewed wallpaper at Chelsea Design Centre with a friend who has a small boutique B and B and wanted the chinoiserie look and feel but was on a budget. We chose Zoffany - Romey's garden collection. They have a number of styles and is not too costly. It also looks beautiful on the wall and is wipeable, so not too bad for little hands.

https://www.zoffany.com/shop/wallpaper/woodville-papers/romeys-garden/?code=ZWOO311333

For reference, he also used a wallpaper from dare I say it... homebase, that looks great. My only concern would be how it would perform longer term , but it does look very lovely.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/searchterm/chinoiserie

I would mix these papers with Little Greene, F &B, Dulux Heritage paints etc. that have pigment or historical colour tones to add the luxury feel you want to achieve. Good luck:-)

Anastasia Aston thanked source style design
  • Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    I've used homebase paper before, not the same one , but was very happy with the quality and look
    Anastasia Aston thanked Kerry Donnelly
  • PRO
    source style design
    8 years ago

Great:-) I slept in the bedroom decorated with the homebase chinoiserie last night and it was so lovely. My apologies. I have not used Homebase before for wallpaper and was just a little surprised at how good it was and great to know someone else who has used it.

Anastasia Aston thanked source style design
  • Vanadis Ward
    8 years ago

Thank you for opening this discussion, Anastasia. I have driven myself half crazy trying to track down this very wallpaper and this article has led me to the right place.

Anastasia Aston thanked Vanadis Ward
  • Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago

Source style design, no need to apologise, think homebase do collaboration with designers sometimes too? It was a paper for the kids room that was north facing and the paper bounced the light about really well, was £20 a roll but looked great.

I've used wallpaper at £10 a roll and wallpaper at £79 a meter( that paper never even lasted a year) sometimes I can't tell if it's cheap or expensive if like you said a nice paints been used alongside or fab accessories. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong papers though lol.

I get bored often and before I know it the paintbrush and steamer come out and I try and change things around, much of the time making it look worse than before but that's another story, maybe if I bought more expensive paper I would feel the need to keep it for longer and save me some more hassle

Anastasia Aston thanked Kerry Donnelly
  • Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    That grey paper it was but in the duck colour, had a look on their webpage there and they have some nice ones like source design suggested
  • Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Guys, so sorry for not replying earlier - only now I get chance to be at my laptop. You all have been truly amazing!

I really thank Wells & Trembath and Source design for your extensive knowledge. Without you I wouldn't even notice it amongst the millions of chintz but now I'm in love with http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/zoffany/romey-s-garden/110498. Raring to get my hand on the sample now!

Today I was at Homebase and I paid attention to your links to their chinoiserie range. I was a bit disappointed to feel the paper being thin and cheap (definitetely not wipeable hallway material) and the colours looked cheap close-up. However their other ranges were good and wipeable - just had a surprise find that looks good I think (pic next comment!)

Other samples have arrived - Harlequin indigo amazilia (http://www.fashionwallpaper.co.uk/harlequin-amazilia-wallpaper-111059.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CKzmjJ2Cz8gCFYhAGwodrikFrQ) has more beautiful colours and shininess in person than on website and I still really like Cole & Son hexagons (which is not chinoserie I guess, but I am open to non-floral option)

Pics next comment (which will be from my phone)

• Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Homebase surprise find - it's shinier than it looks. (shiny grey with yellow blossom) and it's only £10 per roll! A bit worried it may not be very heritage-sophisticated, but I like it

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/home-of-colour---harmony---wallpaper---zest-128702

Homebase chinoiserie on the left

(sorry for the awful mobile low light photos - it looks like I am too found of blue)

• Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ah, it'd be nice if someone said 'Wait! you got this from Homebase for £10???? I thought it was hundred per roll or something!' :)

Again, the yellow blossom looks nice from distance but not as joyful close-up :-(

• Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    Lol, I remember seeing one I loved online and when to the shop and it looked like woodchip . You looked on next? Laura Ashley not big on floral? I have a shop in town that sells nice paper, you got something like that near you? Sometimes, if you've seen the one you really like then it's hard to compromise even in your head
  • Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    I really like the blue/ green one you have up at the other end of the yellow flower, and the geometric shape one too but I'm not in love with the yellow one sorry
  • Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    I think this one you posted is lovely
  • Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Kerry - my friend did not love the yellow blosson either and she thought the chinoiserie wallpaper look cheap as if from low quality printer. She loved the Harlequin hummingbird indigo but as you can see this looks like a black hole in the dark room! I may consider silver equivalent.

Would it look too dark with indigo if we won't paint woodwork white? Even when the wall on the opposite side will be very light. I'd really rather keep the woodwork original.

We have Pickwick Papers nearby (it has nearly every sample books in the wallpaper world apart from actual chinoiserie)

• Vanadis Ward
    8 years ago

Naked woodwork sounds very sophisticated, Anastasia.

• Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    I think your woodwork is really dark, paper would be best light to counter balance that. I had dark grey on the walls and white woodwork and it never looked dark as it worked together sorta thing, your woodwork and a dark paper may just suck up all the light, just my penny's worth
  • Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    Do you know what's under the carpet? Wondering if it's the same dark wood as the rest
  • Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hahaha, you'll be dismayed to know but I was planning dark flooring too! But offset with light runners and light wall on the other side. We do have white rungs underneath the carpet

• Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had enough of looking at wallpapers, so the shortlist is (I am lusting after black and gold-rimmed wall mirror at moment so it needs to match). No idea on shoe rack/coat storage yet). If all fails, it wil be a paint.

How it looks in the dark:

Other colours do not work unfortunately.

• Vanadis Ward
    8 years ago

Anastasia, regarding the mirror you are looking for, if you haven't yet found it, you may wish to trawl through Achica's offerings: some gorgeous, good quality mirrors but substantially discounted. The only drawback is that they claim to deliver within a month but can get bogged down and take longer.

• PRO
    Jessica Buckley Interiors
    8 years ago

Chinoiserie is so pretty and looks absolutely incredible on walls. We have used it here in this master bedroom by using a mural artist which painted it to our design onto Dulux painted walls. A matt varnish is then applied to protect the mural. Another option for you to consider!

Best wishes,

Jessica

Jessica Buckley Interiors

Edinburgh Georgian townhouse apartment · More Info

Edinburgh Georgian townhouse apartment · More Info

• Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Probably non-mural wallpaper one closest to De Gournay I found so far.

Decorators booked next week. And I may or not update with an after pic to scare off other users from making the same mistake :))))

• Kerry Donnelly
    8 years ago
    I think either one of these are lovely,, 2 very different looks but the flower is near what you wanted at the start of this discussion so I'm leaning towards that, would love to see a picture too lol
  • Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ah, you know me! If I had to go with pure gut without consideration, it would be to go with this Cole and Son geometric. But my husband is worried though that it would be too overwhelming.

But I am not giving thos wallpaper up. This may sound mental, but I am starting to think of using it on the wall opposite. Just below dado rail, mind. There actually isn't much wall space inbetween radiator and three doors below the dado rail so I still get to.enjoy it viewing from staircase without it being a dominant feature of the hallway.

• PRO
    source style design
    8 years ago

Hello Anastasia, I hope you are well. I love the Cole and Son hicks hexagon too and it does look absolutely stunning on the wall. The quality is great too. Both designs will create a WOW and look fabulous and the hall is the place to do it. I am sure you have seen images of the cole and son on the wall too, but just in case

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=image+of+rooms+decorated+with+cole+and+son+geometric+wallpaper&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=494&tbm=isch&imgil=8LqsJQOcPudg5M%253A%253BwlC-0FV3Fxc_4M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fblog.decoratorsbest.com%25252F2014%25252F04%25252F15%25252Fhow-to-incorporate-geometrics-into-every-room-of-your-home%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=8LqsJQOcPudg5M%253A%252CwlC-0FV3Fxc_4M%252C_&dpr=1.25&usg=okQdK7Jo5A1VFQC8_dFO-7hFb1s%3D&ved=0CD0QyjdqFQoTCN2RpeG-4sgCFUu6GgodfmkBhQ&ei=PVgvVp3_Acv0av7ShagI#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACUFl7bjpaTieIjhXpxNgsMi79sglGLWntIgdhrNU2mUeh3BoK3NLI_1gDNMJEJCk-BXjpxGiOvfBIRTbCv9-FSWO63ioSCVenE2CwyLv2EZQrGxa4SLHpKhIJyCUYtae0iB0RMsoVXlZ677UqEgmGs1TaZR6HcBHb_1cdQJl0rQSoSCWgrc0sj-AM0EV6UvYKLKQJXKhIJwkQkKT4FeOkRSfNNvI6LJzoqEgnEaI698EhFNhEfbeYBDDIvSCoSCcK_134VJY7reEQnc8dWFW42Z&q=image%20of%20rooms%20decorated%20with%20cole%20and%20son%20geometric%20wallpaper&imgdii=c0Ed3CWKFAuTM%3A%3Bc0Ed3CWKFAuTM%3A%3BR9DSGwjh_uNiyM%3A&imgrc=c_0Ed3CWKFAuTM%3A

I am a real believer in being brave and going for what you love in your home..... go with gut:-)

• Anastasia Aston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lots of people really hate floral wallpaper so I am kinda hesitant to share the results but at the same time I love sharing of 'clinical results' for the greater good of science..ahem))

How the hallway looks right now in progress: (carpeting will go and the woodwork may be made browner to rid of red)

• Michelle
    7 years ago

Love your choice of wallpaper in the end Anastasia. How did the rest of the decorating go?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.