zmir83

Majorly confused!!

Zee Mir
8 years ago
I'm in desperate need of some help and advice on how I can complete my drawing room space. Very confused!! I need to buy two chairs to replace the ones that are currently at the bay window (just put my dining table chairs temporarily) but I don't know what to get.. Should I go with the same off white shade for the chairs or some contrast? What shape or style? Also Individually I'm in love with everything, like I LOVE the coffee tables on their own, love the Persian rug on its own, love the sofa on its own, but feels like all together it just doesn't go. My husband isn't going to be too impressed! Spent a lot on the rug and tables.. Tried to return the tables as they turned out too big for the space but wasn't able to so im just going to have to make it work some how. But any advice on how I can make this all work? Should I add some decorative cushions to the sofa do you think?

Comments (36)

• shirlpp
    8 years ago

Hold on, before we get to the chairs, that is a lovely rug, however, it is way too small. Can you return it?

• Zee Mir
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I agree with you.. It feel like it just doesn't work because of the size but I feel bad because it had a pretty hefty price tag.. Do you think there is any way around it? Like some how can I keep it and still make it work?
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    I'm going to say for this particular space to put the sofa in front of window but move it forward with rom to walk behind it and a narrow sofa table, by moving it there you can then make the coffee table appear smaller as seen in the room, the rug needs to go in another room a rug should be large ...large enough in the room so that all furniture in the arrangement has at least the front legs on it, then take the table beside the chair and turn it the opposite way and see if that doesn't help make it appear smaller by floating the chair a bit with it beside it, you could get a nice large sisal rug for less that $200 most places that would work for your room, add texture with throws pillows basket plants etc
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

The furnishing are beautiful. Here are some suggestions that might solve some the issues.

1. Your rug is too small for space and coffee table. It is a beautiful rug. I suggest you get a larger inexpensive rug for under it. Get one in same color as background. This will tie the furniture together and not make the rug look so small and the table so big.

2. Move the end table and lamp in front of the window between the 2 new chairs. You need accent chairs with high arms or no arms to minimize the height of the table.

• PRO
    509 Design
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

With some finessing of your layout it will look beautiful. You have some great pieces!

If you are able to return or exchange the rug, I would do so. Ideally, to help a furniture arrangement feel grounded, the rug needs to at least be under the front two feet of the sofa and chair. This will give you an idea on the size you need for your space. Next, I would try moving the matching chair, opposite of the sofa, to the end of the sofa closest to your dining area. So, the sofa and chair would make an L shape. You may have to shift the sofa closer to the bay window to make sure you have enough circulation space between the dining and sitting area.

Instead of additional chairs blocking your natural daylight in the bay, have you considered drapery to finish it off? This would add softness, something you are probably trying to achieve with the chairs. You might then have room for two small scale chairs where your larger club chair is. I would measure first to verify that there is enough room for circulation. If you add some drapery, you can pull some coordinating pillows for the sofa.

Its a beautiful room with great furnishings. You are almost there, you just need some designer "fluffing" with drapes, artwork, accessories...

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Invest in a smaller barrel table for by the end of sofa and another one for beside chair.

• miacometlady
    8 years ago
    I'd suggest two cane and wood chairs to balance those wonderful couches. A larger muted rug and a beautiful framed print. Or you could hunt down a neat beach for under window ( not with that color cushion).
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

8x10 white rug $250. It won't get much wear and it will cover space under the chair and sofa.

You can probably find one for less.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

A mirror above sofa

or art

You have low arms on chair so this would work $98

• kacallison
    8 years ago
    I know everyone is focused on furniture, but could you add a nice rich color for some contrast/pop? I know the size of the rug is wrong, but I love the blue and feel like the cream couch would really look lovely against a deep blue wall?
  • MarleneM
    8 years ago
    I like Susan's suggestion to layer rugs. A plain navy rug under the Persian might be nice, and would give good contrast to the sofa/chair.
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 years ago

Move the off white chair, end table and lamp to the window area. Put the end table on the window side of the sofa so the match is less obvious . ( Frankly I'd try to sell that) Add one more chair to the bay as that chair, and a more solid pedestal type drinks table between the chairs. Buy a long open console for the wall opposite the sofa, no glass/metal please, and use your lamp on that console. Add a pair of standing lamps on sofa sides, the cocktail table is within reach of all..no sofa end tables are really needed in your space.

http://www.bernhardt.com/product/colter/console-tables/console-table

Tuck a couple navy blue cube ottomans underneath the console for pull up seating to the coffee table, and add some importantly sized art above console. Your rug will appear more right sized for the space as well if it sits on a much larger sisal rug, as large as will fit the space UNDER the Persian and the seating around it, excluding the bay window.. The space will feel larger, and the persian will become the accent.

Add navy pillows in a mix of patterns, textures, along with a small dollop of the brick red. Simple curtain panels, and interesting framed round mirror of adequate size over sofa..... and There you go!

• Zee Mir
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for all your suggestions.. Lots of good ideas, am definitely going to look into getting a larger rug to place underneath the Persian rug and will also rearrange the setting a bit, will post a picture once I've made the changes :)
  • Zee Mir
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @JAN MOYER, I really like your idea about making the Persian rug an accent, what colour sisal rug would you recommend I get?
  • PRO
    Colorsmith
    8 years ago

look at target for the sisal looking rugs-and get a lighter one, there won't be too many options..maybe try moving the one matching arm chair to where the chair on the left is at the window, (but turn in to the room) and place the smaller scaled chairs across from the couch-then you would have more room to get around your coffee table. Once you get the larger rug, you can figure out where to "scatter" your beautiful rug on it. You might not even need more chairs-you might want to just be able to move your dining room chairs over as needed.

• Zee Mir
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I'm then leaning towards the lightest shade in the picture for the sisal rug.. Would you agree?
  • Zee Mir
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Unfortunately no target in Canada :(
  • Zee Mir
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Two of these chairs in the navy blue shade?
  • PRO
    Leisyl Boone, Allied ASID
    8 years ago

I would find another upholstered chair like what you have, and place those in the bay window space, facing the opposite side of the room. Then place the sofa/table/rug facing towards the windows. You'll have a nice sitting area, and the space may seem a little larger not having the furniture against the walls.

• PRO
    Colorsmith
    8 years ago

go with the medium hue rug-the light one will be too contrasty (and catch dirt like a magnet)

• PRO
    Colorsmith
    8 years ago

ps-I would wait for the chairs-I think you really only need one other-and if you get two more, it might get really crowded...over stuffed (pun intended) and those are too similar in style-so will detract from what you already have. A small side/board/shelf unit on that wall across from the couch might serve you better-w/the side chairs flanking it.

• PRO
    Colorsmith
    8 years ago

PPS-guests acutally prefer to sit in chairs they can easily get in and out of, when you have larger gatherings.

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Beautiful furniture but the rug is too small for it all

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Hollywood Hills Home · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 years ago

I wouldn't be afraid of a light tone sisal, one that is tightly woven as the pattern will be within the accent rug which has a fair amount of white. Does Overstock ship to Canada and can you fit nine by 12?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/nuLOOM-Handmade-Eco-Natural-Fiber-Cotton-Border-Sisal-Rug-9-x-12/5760071/product.html?refccid=S7PAGWYSYPQJFNKI5AMFCGBBWE&searchidx=0

Now, can I be really really honest? Could you use the tufted chair anywhere else? Perhaps a bedroom? Because if that were the case I'd simply do a nice long console opposite the sofa, tuck ottomans under, add navy chairs at the window end, flank the sofa with standing lamps. If you want to add a small scale arm chair, something open...but with enough upholstery seat and back to be comfortable, you can tuck that in near the entrance to the room. Send the dining chair back to their spot....not alongside a console. Think bigger and fewer"things" on that wall, and it will balance the sofa wall very nicely.

The end table: Sell? Trade with a friend for something? The reason I ask is, the coffee table is "special" .....didn't really need another "special" match to that in the end table.

What is nice about that arrangement is it will not crowd the entrance into the room. The navy chairs at the end with a drinks table, maybe a silvery pedestal will pull your eye back but not make a wall of upholstery in front of the window. And you will have enough uncluttered impact and weight on the wall opposite the sofa.

And I'd wait on lamps until you firm up all the rest.....get your "flavor" a bit more firmly in place. Good luck!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Yes, I am sorry but the rug is too small. Use it somewhere else in your beautiful home. Buy two club chairs in a different colour and place them flanking the sofa. Place the existing cream colour chair in the window. Love your taste. From a simple exposed rod hang raw silk drapes. Place rod as high as possible to give height to the room. Cheers!

• Zee Mir
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I've been taking in all your suggestions and have bought a few pieces.. Some things have arrived but I'm waiting on other things still. First the chairs arrived so looked at possible rearrangements for that.. Then just got the sisal rug but I don't know.. Feel like the sisal takes away from it?
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I am not a fan of the sisal rug either. IMO it is too casual for the room. I would do a plain white low pile rug or even in a navy. Especially don't like the border on the new rug or the contrasting color. I would send back and exchange for one that looks better in the room. You already have a border on the oriental rug, you don't need 2.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

BTW, I love the new chairs. IMO, they are perfect for the area.

• J J
    8 years ago

Fun to watch the changes. I like the chairs.

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    8 years ago

Neat to watch the progress!

• egee
    8 years ago
    I think you should remove both rugs. The table isn't the problem, the rugs are, especially the one with the blue medallion design. There's so much glass and light metal on the table, it should almost be invisible, but putting that rug under it draws attention right to it. You're not really seeing the table, you're seeing the design under it. The rug has become your coffee table. Yes, the table is a little big, but the rug makes it look bigger and draws your eye right to it, rather than letting your eye "float" through your beautiful room on to the view through the windows. If you want a rug, go bigger and softer colors.
  • egee
    8 years ago
    And I think the table is going to look smaller without the rug under it.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Try the end table behind the 2 chairs in front of the bay window. Don't know if it will fit.

• PRO
    Diane Goldberg Interiors, inc.
    8 years ago

Easy fix...Put the end table next to the large sofa on the window side, moving the sofa down a little..Put the floor lamp behind one of the chairs..not actually behind..off to the back/side as an accent...One of the chairs, keep next to sofa but on an angle to the window, will make it more cozy for someone to sit and talk to someone sitting on the sofa..Now put the other wood chair also on an angle...I'd like to see 2 eclectic looking chairs to replace the dining ones..not too leggy. Your upholstery already has legs...You need drapes, which I'm sure you know..Tall ones!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.