valentina_safonova

Removable Wallpaper / Temporary Wallpaper

VS Design Co
8 years ago

Hello! I have a question about removable wallpaper. This may sound silly, but its true... ALL wallpaper is removable in my mind, if you buy the wall paper removing solution... Ive tried doing my research here on temporary wall paper but I cant seem to find a solution. Some of these things claim to be removable but dont really give me an explanation or an example of what the wall is going to look like after you have removed this "removable" wallpaper. When I talk about removable paper I think its wallpaper that you stick onto your wall, then when you need to take it down you can just unstick it without damaging the wall and not leaving residue... I need to make sure the apartment will be left the way I got it when I eventually move, so I just want to make sure something like THIS doesn't happen to my walls. IF someone can just tell me that the wall will look the same when I take this "removable" paper down then I am sold.

Comments (10)

• User
    8 years ago

As a professional painting contractor with 16 employees, we have removed a LOT of paper. And yes - you can remove any paper. With or without solution, that paper will often take the drywall layers with it...so the question is - How much damage is done by removing the paper?

The best insurance is to "size" the walls. Sizing is like a paint that dries with a hard surface so the wallpaper paste sticks but does not soak in. And you want a solid coat of sizing - not just a quick pass to make sure the paper comes off. When hanging the paper, if it is pre-pasted, do not add any more glue.

Have you thought about decorative painting instead of paper?

Best of luck! Robert

VS Design Co thanked User
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Why not just use wall decals they will come off no problem

VS Design Co thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • typoagain
    8 years ago
    I just "removed" the wallpaper in my powder room. I only had to "remove" everything right down to the studs!
    Iam currently getting ready to texture the walls.
    If the walls are not properly sized and prepped removing wallpaper can be a major headache.
    I actually had a decorator suggest stripping it down the sheetrock is a cheaper option rather than removing the wallpaper. Not something you normally hear.
    We never did figure out what they used to glue on the wallpaper, but whatever it was it sure didn't stick!
    VS Design Co thanked typoagain
  • PRO
    Garden State Tile
    8 years ago

I've never tried it, but I've heard that starch and water makes an excellent removable glue that's perfect for apartments and rentals.

VS Design Co thanked Garden State Tile
  • PRO
    Limitless Walls
    8 years ago

Correct wall preparation is the first key to making sure that wallpaper is removed without any damage. What wall preparation I am referring to is correct paint and sealing of the paint. Bottom line, if the paint is not correctly adhered to the wall, the wallpaper/mural, no matter how "removable" it is, will take paint with it. The bottom most surface (paint) has to have the strongest bond to the supporting wall. What makes the paint come off the wall during removal of a "removable" wallpaper/mural is the bond between the paint and wall is weaker then the bond between the paint and wallpaper/mural.

If the removable wallpaper/mural has low quality adhesive and/or way to much adhesive the strongest paint to wall bond will not be able to keep the paint from getting damaged. The solution to this issue is to do research to find high quality removable wallpapers/murals. Three key factors when researching removable wallpaper/murals- media (paper, canvas ect), adhesive system ( paste, peel and stick) and manufacturers recommended time that the product will be fully removable.

The second issue that arises, if the paint is applied correctly to the wall, is the removable wallpaper/mural leaving adhesive behind on the wall. Most of the time this is a huge issue but if the adhesive is correct on a peel and stick mural you should be able to wipe the adhesive off with water and a rag.

Thing to remember, most adhesives build adhesion over time (longer you keep it up the harder it will be to remove). There are only a few adhesives that do not build adhesion over time (reason why you want to ask manufacturer how long they guarantee their product will remove cleanly). If you find a manufacturer that says you can remove it years later and have no issue then you have found the right company to use because they are using the correct adhesive.

Hope this helps!!

VS Design Co thanked Limitless Walls
  • PRO
    Limitless Walls
    8 years ago

@safonovav : You said:

" IF someone can just tell me that the wall will look the same when I take this "removable" paper down then I am sold."

Yes, that is exactly the case with our product. Your landlord will never know that anything was on the wall. In fact, your paint will be left in a pristine state by being covered, so you'll actually leave the walls looking exactly as you found them.

We'd be happy to send you a sample so that you can see how effortless and clean the installation and removal process is. Just email shawn@limitlesswalls.com with your physical address.

-Shawn

President, LimitLess Walls

Example Wall Murals · More Info

• PRO
    VS Design Co
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your insight! Glad to hear any and all stories and advices!

• PRO
    LJK FINISHES
    6 years ago

or you can go peel and stick companies like Temp paper HD Walls and others just paint the walls with a satin or eggshell finish and when it comes time to remove it just comes right off no residue http://roommatesdecor.com/peel-and-stick-wallpaper-decor/   https://www.tempaperdesigns.com/

we just did a http://www.stickleyaudi.com/  show room with peel and stick and have hung many rolls of this kind of paper and it can really look great

• PRO
    Oriental Hand-painted Art & Design Studio
    6 years ago

Hope you like our hand-painted wallpaper, the kids wallpaper just need USD250 per panel to USD300 per panel, shipping free.

Contact Oriental wallpaper studio to get samplehttp://www.chinoiseriedecor.com/collections/ModernDesign.html

Hand-painted silk wallpaper

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.