mmoloney120872

Colour of bi fold

Mairead Moloney
8 years ago
We are planning to extend our kitchen & knock through into another room which has conservatory leading from it. I love the black/grey bifolds but aware the entrance door to conservatory is white upvc. Any design ideas please?? Not sure if would look odd if one set of doors white & kitchen bi folds black/grey. Thanks

Comments (12)

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    Hi there,

Are you having aluminium bi-folding doors?

Thanks,
    Matthew - Design Bifolds
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Matthew
    Yes think Aluminium look better. Went to a showroom today & I really didn't like the white, but I'm conscious we knocking through so it may look a bit odd if the conservatory stay white?
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    Hi Mairead,
    Aluminium is certainly the optimal material for bifolds due to their thin frame width, durability and ease of use. I'd personally say that anthracite grey bifolds would look well even with a contrasting white conservatory.
    Would you be interested in recieveing a quotation for the manufacture, supply and installation of your bespoke bi-folding door?
    Thanks,
    Matthew.
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much for your advice Matthew, it's a great help.
    Mairead
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    We are based in North Yorkshire and operate throughout the UK.
    Please could you email me the dimensions and number of panels of the bifold so that I can give you an accurate quotation.

Thanks, Matthew.
    enquiries@designbifolds.co.uk
  • Carl Holding
    8 years ago

Have you got some up to date pics of your kitchen as we can help you with your doors and install cheers

• Pumpkin
    8 years ago

If it helps any you could have a different colour inside to outside? That may just be on pvc but it may apply to alu as well?

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the help & advice. Vyou that's the only pic I have of the proposed kitchen, looking at possible 3 bi folds & 2 windows. Thanks
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    New pic without the supporting structure
  • PRO
    Complete Group UK
    8 years ago

Hi

Just noticed your concern over coloured bi-folds.

I must say that I agree with Standard Dark Grey (Anthracite 7016) for a couple of reasons:

1) Light colours such as White reflect the light, therefore the first thing you see is the doors ... where as with dark colours you see the view first and the doors second

2) Most bi-fold door manufacturers do not offer white gaskets on the outside of their doors as they tend to go yellow over time, therefore a white bi-fold generally has black gaskets which is a look that is very defined and not to everyone's taste

Another consideration is the thickness of the bi-fold door frame, it never ceases to amaze me that all manufacturers refer to their doors as slim line which is not necessarily the case for example:

Meeting points (the measurement from the glass of one door across its frame and the frame of the adjoining door to its glass) are invariably different...

• New Smarts 108mm
    • Schuco 120mm
    • Smarts 1000 series 132mm
    • Beaufort Continental 142mm
    • Origin 155mm
    • UPVC Bi-folds are all generally around 172mm

And there are many more subtle differences to consider such as finger safe gaskets, handle design options etc

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Paul

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so Paul for your advice, will def take your advice on board, thanks!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.