laurenmqking

Coffer ceiling

Lauren King
8 years ago
Is this done correct? The builder says he lined the boxes with the entry way vs the center of room. Which has made the outer boxes a different size from each other. To me it looks wrong but I have no idea if this is a correct way to build coffer ceilings.

Comments (11)

• raineycarole
    8 years ago
    From this one photo, the ceiling looks wrong. Can you take a photo from further back? Where do you stand when you enter the room?
  • PRO
    Seaside Construction - Custom Home Builder
    8 years ago

The squares should all be the same size.

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    They should all be same size...no good reason for this other than it is a mistake!
  • PRO
    Transforming Rooms
    8 years ago

Library with fireplace, cherry walls & beam ceiling · More Info

Here's a photo of a ceiling we designed. The squares were the same size and we centered the recessed lights inside the squares. I always advise having meetings before proceeding with each step....so the right hand knows what the left hand is doing! :) A qualified interior designer (one with experience & has worked on numerous homes) will catch many things and bring them to your attention. They're often well worth it!

• Lauren King
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all! I will be asking for them to fix it.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

We have had one occasion in a kitchen where the squares could not be the same size and align with the room and the significant features of the room. We went over all of it with the homeowner in advance, and she understood part of it but not all. If we had made all the squares the same size, it would have been off from the range hood and the island pendant lights could not have been hung where we all wanted them. The point is that sometimes there is a reason, it always pays to have a conversation and ask.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

The squares should all be the same size only if the room is square or rectangular. Take a look at this project we recently finished. All squares are the same size though at the end of center walls they are narrower because of the shape of the room.

• PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    8 years ago

Oooooh, those are definitely off. They should be even. I'm sorry, but he should re-do them.

• danaking5199
    8 years ago

I think you need a new builder that looks terrible.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

Whoever built this definitely miscalculated something. Now would be the right time to make this right.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.