debkokeefe

New sofa purchased! Let's talk window treatments!

Debdo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Just bought a new soda and love seat over the weekend. Will attach picture of family room with the current furniture. A picture taken in the showroom of the new furniture and a picture of the window.
The window is three windows side by side. I currently have three separate blinds. Should I replace with one bigger blind? What about have two small curtain rods positioned higher on the wall for added height? I found two 96" long red velvet panels; what do you think of that?

Comments (52)

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Sofa on the window wall, loveseat where the sofa is now, TV and bookcase on the wall where the art grouping is, art grouping and rocker where the TV is now.

Now we can talk windows. Since the TV will be opposite the window, I would get some kind of blackout shades, then curtain panels on the ends hung from ceiling to floor.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Flip the sofa and loveseat in your plan for easier access. You really need 3 feet of walk space between pieces of furniture. You don't have that now.

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've talked to my husband about your suggested arrangement (before today) and he refuses to put the tv on the wall you suggest. He likes to be able to see it from the kitchen . . .

It's a vaulted ceiling, I don't think we can do curtains from the ceiling.

• izeve
    8 years ago

Put the new sofa on the long wall and the loveseat where the sofa is now. Keep the TV where it is now. Velvet panels sound good and raising the rod is a great idea.

Debdo thanked izeve
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Put sofa and loveseat arm to arm to form an L-shape, put the end table in the corner formed between the arms. That should give you space to enter the room to the right of the loveseat.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Duh, you're right about the ceiling to floor curtains. My bad. Just go from about midway between the lower and upper windows to the floor.

Try izeve's arrangement, or mount the TV on an articulating arm so it can be turned and viewed from anywhere.

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, let me think about these. They're expecting me to work today; so I'll be back in a bit.

On the wall of windows, behind the chair, is a door. I'll try to upload a better picture.

I love the thought of mounting the TV on an articulating arm; would I do this over the current TV credenza? Would it look weird "floating" above it?

• User
    8 years ago
    Did you measure your space carefully? The sofa you purchased has large rolled arms, unlike the sofa from your other thread. Will you have enough room for traffic flow and to place tables? Would two streamlined armchairs and a sofa be better for your space?
  • Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The new sofa is the same size as our current sofa--current sofa also has large rolled arms. The room is 19x13; windows are 8'3".

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Beverly! I really like this layout. I'm planning on repainting. My next dilemma is finding a new paint color. I plan on painting the family room and kitchen the same color to tie them in together. Main obstacle to paint color is my current kitchen counters, which are green. I do plan on replacing them, but not just yet.

• izeve
    8 years ago

I think sage green would look great on the walls with the new sofas and the existing woodwork and carpet. It will probably work with the countertops too! I have friends whose kitchen has green countertops and sage green works really well in their space.

Debdo thanked izeve
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Another alternative:

Debdo thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Karen Goodale Design
    8 years ago

Replacing the 3 blinds with one blind running the full width is a more modern look which can be quite nice. I would also replace the existing drapery with drapery panels which can be stationary to save on fabric cost. Having them mounted half way between the window trim and the ceiling will add height to the room and look very smart.

Debdo thanked Karen Goodale Design
  • RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    I would replace shades with white sheers use a double rod mounted at middle of two window sets. hang a beige curtain on sides. make rods longer then the current one so that panels can stack to the side of the windows. bring in an accent color like your green in pillows, art, decorative items.
    Debdo thanked RubyRoses
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Sage paint might work, or match what I think is a tan stripe in your new furniture.

Debdo thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Geneviève
    8 years ago

for the walls

Benjamin Moore Galveston Gray AC-27 · More Info

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Gray is very popular right now! Is it a good color for both rooms?
  • izeve
    8 years ago

Please, no gray!

Debdo, if you want some color advice, please post a picture of your kitchen and the countertops.

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It'll take me about an hour . . . leaving work in a few minutes. Will post kitchen pictures then. Thank you!

• izeve
    8 years ago

How about one of these:

Paint Color SW 6177 Softened Green from Sherwin-Williams · More Info

Paint Color SW 6191 Contented from Sherwin-Williams · More Info

Paint Color SW 6422 Shagreen from Sherwin-Williams · More Info

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We're using the same wall color for these two rooms, keeping in mind the color of the new sofa and love seat.
  • Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A better picture of the window that needs new blinds and curtains.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

You are not the first to put a table lamp on the kitchen counter, and probably won't be the last. I removed it. If you need more light, get undercabinet lighting. Here's the kitchen in a light gray with green undertone.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Just read through this and some good advise by all but I'm sorry, I just don't see the purpose of that love seat in this room. It's already to crowded and a couple small chairs would work so much better.
  • izeve
    8 years ago
    I agree with Grover about the under cabinet lights. But I don't like the gray green with your cabinets and countertops. I think you need something lighter and warmer.

Did you like any of the greens I posted? Any one of them would make your kitchen and family room feel lighter, fresher and much larger.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

That same color on the window wall with your new loveseat, woven wood shades, and burlap curtains:

It appears your loveseat comes with a fragment of a coffee table. Maybe they can fix that for you, ;-)

Debdo thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

My best guess at SW contented in both rooms. The only way to tell for sure is to paint a test swatch on your actual wall.

Debdo thanked groveraxle
  • izeve
    8 years ago
    Thanks Grover. I certainly like it in the kitchen. It's hard to tell in the living room.

Let's see what the OP thinks.
    Debdo thanked izeve
  • PRO
    Window Treatments by Transforming Rooms
    8 years ago

Check out many more BEFORE and AFTER photos on our designer site (for window treatment ideas).

To answer your question, I'd go more subtle - not the red velvet you asked about.

With window treatments it's good to think "timeless". Save intense colors for art.

Hope this helps?

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Izeve and grover--thank you so much for the great ideas and showing me what it could look like! I really appreciate it and do like the shade "Contented".

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That just might be too much green for me. What do you think of Sherwin Williams "Macadamia"?

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Or SW "Softer Tan"?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Madamia, or thereabouts:

Debdo thanked groveraxle
  • izeve
    8 years ago
    I like the beiges as well. Either one would really open up the space. But you would definitely need to try a couple is samples in the room to make sure that they will look good with the new sofa and the carpet.
  • izeve
    8 years ago
    If you go with beige, you may be able to use your red curtains if you add a few additional red accents.
    Debdo thanked izeve
  • PRO
    D. R. Parker Consulting
    8 years ago
    Very nice of you to give free design advice. Love that you have passion for design. I am willing to help if you need more input. Inbox me for some free advice also.
  • duane93065
    8 years ago
    Can you hang the Tv above the fireplace and then put the sofa on the long wall and the love seat where you currently have the couch?
  • Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I love what has been suggested; they layout are really really nice possibilities.

I am going to be devils advocate and suggest you return the love seat and buy a recliner for Hubs and another club chair for you so you can both watch the TV in comfort. I hate having to twist my neck to watch TV....any chance you can return love seat?

Not that it is unlovely but I wonder about your comfort level if the TV is staying where it is now. Not being rude but rather concerned about different possibilities.

• J J
    8 years ago

Following.. have fun

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What about yellow? I like this yellow with the green countertops, but am unsure about it with the new sofa/loveseat.

• izeve
    8 years ago

A light creamy yellow may work, as long as the new furniture does not have pink undertones. You really won't know until you have the furniture in the room. The light in your room is likely much different than in the furniture showroom, so the sofa color may appear completely different.

The best advice I can give you is to buy some paint samples and try them out in your room.

• Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You are so right! I think I can wait until the furniture is delivered on Saturday to make any decisions about paint.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    SW sedate gray 6169, a soft gray green.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Debdo, when the new furniture comes, give us a photo of the loveseat against the window wall and I will repaint for you. It may help narrow your choices.

I also think neutral curtains will look better than red velvet in this room.

Debdo thanked groveraxle
  • Debdo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll do that, groveraxle! I'm also now thinking of it against the opposite wall (the picture wall), to allow better access into the room. Now, see, I'm liking that pop of red! :-) (Really, I agree that it's probably too much. I have 30 days to return them.) What about using two short curtain rods (one over each of the side windows), instead of one long one? And the rod will be a darker, rubbed bronze.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

• PRO
    D. R. Parker Consulting
    8 years ago
    May I suggest a BenMoore paint color called winds breath. It is very neutral and would bring some life to your space.
  • PRO
    D. R. Parker Consulting
    8 years ago
    Here are 4 photos, not mine for the "winds breath" color.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.