motherjules

2016 Best Sofa Brands

Julie Hansen
8 years ago

I am in the market for two new sofas for my family room. Would like to catch some of the January sales, so time is of the essence. I live in Oklahoma, so have some limitations on availability of items on hand to see/touch/sit on, but can always drive to Dallas. I've been considering both Ethan Allan and Mitchell Gold, but have read several reviews online and on Houzz detailing poor quality. May also consider Wesley Hall, as a local designer uses their line. My biggest concern is purchasing the best quality sofa for the money, as customer services issues, while still important, certain vary from store to store. I'm looking to spend max $5K per sofa, but would certainly like to find buys well under that. I feel sure about I'm looking for in design, upholstery and cushion construction. I just want to know who delivers on quality, durability and price. Thanks!

Comments (89)

• tmdunne
    6 years ago

This comment string was very helpful. I've been looking for over a month to replace Klaussner leather sofas purchased 16 years ago. We started shopping with the thought that if these sofas didn't begin to show wear until the last year or so, we would want the same brand. One sales person politely cautioned us that we should not expect the same quality we purchased 16 year ago from any furniture. Then I read some very poor review of recent Klaussner purchases. Possibly the only aspect of making a purchase that hasn't changed is the old adage, "Buyer beware" applies more than ever.

• Vallie Bennett
    6 years ago

I am replacing a beautiful, high-quality, large sectional sofa my former husband and I bought over 18 years ago (I got custody in the divorce). It overwhelms my new living space and I am finally ready to let it go. But, I am discouraged by what I am learning about the quality of sofas being offered today. I was considering the Axis sofa from Crate & Barrel for the contemporary style, the fabric and color options, but it's a bit too small. I then shifted my focus to Z Gallerie's Merritt sofa but there are no reviews, which makes me suspicious.

I am concerned about the quality issues of both C&B and Z-G. I was hoping to keep my purchase price around $1,500. The sofa search is taking a lot more time and energy than I anticipated.

• PRO
    Handy Ma'am
    6 years ago
    Vallie, I completely agree. I was so attached to a pair of Restoration Hardware sofas that I wanted for my new home. After countless hours of research I am now looking into American made furniture with performance fabrics. I don't have a lot in my budget but I will do whatever I need to do to get quality furniture that will last more than a few years. We are also the gathering spot for our family so it needs to be able to live up to our abuse
  • Vallie Bennett
    6 years ago

Hi Chloe--I ended up ordering the Merritt sofa from Z Galerie. It's made in the USA, the frame is kiln-dried hard wood, dowelled, and corner blocked. I should be fine for my one-woman, one-dog household. I had a 15% off coupon, but they do charge $169 for delivery. It's custom, so it will take 10 to 12 weeks for it to arrive.

Good luck with your search!

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    6 years ago

well, of course we should be on the list of "best sofa brands" ;)

according to last weeks article on APARTMENT THERAPY, you'll wish you knew about us sooner.

custom sofas and custom sectionals hand crafted in the US. we are a family business making quality furniture in los angeles for over 50 years now. of course we can ship nationwide.

request a quote RIGHT HERE. we offer the best price-quality ratio !! xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

***CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL PROJECTS

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

KENZIE STYLE - Chesterfield Custom Sectional Sofas · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kenzie-style-chesterfield-custom-sectional-sofas-traditional-family-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~9403371)

Project: MEDIA ROOM CUSTOM SECTIONAL SOFA · See Project

• ktgreen15
    6 years ago
    Julie, l love how your unmatched sofas turned out! I am wondering if you would share your decorator and/or the magic upholsterer... I have a similar project I'm in Tulsa. I previously used Midwest Upholstery but they have retired and closed their shop :-(
    I believe you can send me private message....thanks!
    Julie Hansen thanked ktgreen15
  • Julie Hansen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! Glad you like them! The upholster company is Pike Upholstery 3900 NW 10th. OKC 405-232-3117. Ask for Mark or Lisa. My decorator is Devon Wiggins Interiors, Classen Drive, OKC. 405-820-4728. She does not keep an online presence, but is a real professional! Very meticulous with excellent taste! Good luck!

• J M
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all - I'm late to this thread but here's my 2 cents:

(1) We've had great luck with the Calico Corners in my town, from the personal design service (they come to your home) to the quality. And dealing with the small store was much more personal and less intimidating than a big store.

(2) Sounds like Ethan Allen isn't so great anymore, which is a bummer. My parents have the same EA furniture I grew up with (I'm in my 40's) and it's still going strong.

(3) Room & Board quality is not on par with its prices. Speaking from experience.

(4) Restoration Hardward - good for small items (mirrors, lights) but not furniture. They cut corners on basic manufacturing details and pass it off as "innovative design."

(5) Agree that Lee Industries & CR Laine make good furniture at good prices (Julie - you made great choices!). BTW from the Lee website I learned that they sell at Crate & Barrel, then on the C&B website, if you type "Lee Industries" in the search line, it'll show you which furniture is made by Lee. I never trusted C&B furniture and thought it was all made overseas but am happy to be wrong!

• mbalbert54
    6 years ago

I've had a sofa/loveseat set made by Ethan Allen for 36 years. About 20 years ago, I had it reupholstered because of sun damage to the fabric. The "artisans" were from Switzerland and were highly respected. They told me that Ethan Allen doesn't make this quality of furniture anymore. Now I need to replace them because of their style. I'm doing my research, but it's interesting that other old brands have also slacked off in their quality. Sad.

• PRO
    Terry Cook,Ethan Allen ,Southlake,Tx
    6 years ago

In my career as a Designer for Ethan Allen, I hear many praises from clients.I have many repeat customers and a VERY small percentage of problems; which we successfully address.

The good majority of our merchandise is still made in the US.

I'm proud of the "green" standards the company lives by-- replanting trees and recycling unused lumber to heat factories.

So..Why is the internet so widely used for those wanting to gripe rather than be constructive?

• ohjanet20
    6 years ago

I used to work for Calico...When the company began many decades ago it started by selling seconds...IT HAS NOT DONE SO SINCE THE 1980'S.....Since then it has sold top quality fabrics and they have several lines of furniture from basic to luxury depending on the customers budget...all can be custom upholstered. The designer who said they sell seconds needs to stay current with her information....

• J M
    6 years ago

We've been thrilled with our custom furniture from Calico Corners - and the whole experience - in every way.

A few weeks ago we recently a friend's used Ethan Allen sofa for our tv room. We love it! It is about 10 years old and still in great shape. Firm but comfortable, no saggy spots. I'm converted.

• angeladiblasi
    5 years ago

Anyone have experience with Braxton Culler Sofas and Rowe??? Please help !

• jennyvkeup
    5 years ago

I'm looking into a couch manufactured by Rowe out of Virginia. The reviews I've found are quite old, when the company was near bankruptcy. According to an article I found, it's been taken over by people who have good reputations in the industry, however, there are no recent reviews posted since the company was turned around. (Maybe because there are no complaints?) Has anyone out there had experience with their product in the past 3 years?

• angeladiblasi
    5 years ago
    personally I would stay away from Rowe. I am getting my sectional from Carolina Chair. It is all solid kiln dried woid, eight way hand tied springs. Plus it was less expensive than my Rowe estimate. It is a family owned business. they are a pleasure to work with. !
  • Airillusion
    5 years ago

I recently walked into a Crate and Barrel to see their Lee Industries pieces to get an idea of the different cushion types. One of the designers there said they could order me anything I like that is made by Lee Industries and have me price quotes. Just FYI.

• PRO
    Riseroot Architecture and Design
    5 years ago

I also recently purchased a sofa, two chairs and an ottoman from Carolina Chair for a client. They were so easy to work with and very accommodating. We ordered a standard sofa from their fabric selection and the chairs and ottoman were covered using customers own fabric. They sent us multiple sample packets and walked through their own recommendations as experts in their field. Communication was awesome and they even sent us a sneak peak of the finished pieces before they shipped. In fact we had a tighter lead time than their standard lead times and they met our tight deadline! Their prices can't be beat for their quality.

• PRO
    Peyton’s Place
    5 years ago

I commented right at the beginning of this thread that I now only sell Lee Industries upholstery because of the quality and the fantastic warranties. Lee has become so popular that the lead times were getting a little long (8 weeks), so I’m happy to report that due to a recent merger with another great company, American Leather, I‘m getting my orders in 4 weeks or less!

And thanks to this thread I’m shipping Lee all over the country! I have a 1700 sq. ft. store in a little town in Virginia (population 210!) about an hour west of our nations capital. I’ve been in business for 22 years and until this thread I was contemplating closing because the internet has taken it’s toll on all types of ”main street” retailers, particularly home furnishings. Thank goodness there are a few people left who realize that ordering sofas and chairs on the Internet with the promise of ”lowest price” and “free shipping” isn’t the smartest move when purchasing furniture that needs to be comfortable and last 10-15 years at least.

Most independent retailers, including me, will match or beat an Internet quote if it’s legitimate. And being in a small town with low overhead allows me the freedom to sell Lee at 30% off ALL THE TIME. There are a lot of Lee dealers around the country including Crate and Barrel, so, if you want to buy beauty, comfort AND quality, do yourself a favor and sit on Lee Industries sofas and chairs before you make this important investment.

Peyton Slade for Peyton’s Place

540-253-5800

540-246-5880(c)

www.peytonsplacefurniture.com

• Airillusion
    5 years ago

Peyton, I've heard mixed reviews about American Leather. Have you noticed any changes in Lee's quality since American Leather bought them?

• PRO
    Peyton’s Place
    5 years ago

I have not, but the merger is fairly recent. I have an awesome sofa from them that I bought at my own floor sample sale (lol!) and so far I love it!

• PRO
    In Its Place Ltd
    5 years ago

Any thoughts or experience with Wesley Hall? I fell in love with a couch and fabric!

• HU-354775776
    5 years ago

Hello, I’m considering a Wesley Hall. Any reviews on their quality?

• kingadrian
    5 years ago

I have a custom built leather sectional that I purchased from Maple Leather Furniture in N.Carolina. When I received it, I saw the label Carolina Chair. The sofa is well built.

Julie Hansen thanked kingadrian
  • studioedesigngroup
    5 years ago
    Look at CR Laine. I’ve had for years. I love them and the quality is awesome. American made in Hickory, NC. More family friendly performance fabrics in the line than you can think about.
    Frame is all hardwood, and the springs are 8-way hand tied ( said to be the best quality) They both have a lifetime warranty.
    I’m sure there are others, but I think CR Laine has everything you need for style, quality, and tons of fabric selections.
  • yvondag
    4 years ago

I'm looking to replace my sofa and reupholster my 20 yr old Sherrill chairs. I've been happy with the Sherrill line in the past, but is it the same quality now? I obviously don't replace often, so quality and US made are very important. Where does Sherrill fall in line with Lee?

Thanks!

• Airillusion
    4 years ago

Sadly, I've heard from a designer friend that CR Laine's quality has gone down recently. I don't know anything about Sherrill.

• yvondag
    4 years ago

Thanks @ Airillusion! Also looking at private label sofas from Bernhardt and Norwalk.

Any thoughts about those manufacturers?

Many thanks!!

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Peyton’s Place
    4 years ago

I responded on this thread back in January 2016 attesting to the quality of Lee Industries upholstery. At the time, I shared that I have had a high end home furnishings store for 18 years, now it’s 21 years and miracle upon

miracle, I’m still here!! AND I will still attest to the quality, beauty and workmanship of Lee.

i live and work in a town of only 200 people, surrounded by several slightly larger communities and as a result, I went through many upholstery companies before finding the one who not only made the best sofas but had the best warranties. The secret here is that a company that is doing quality work rarely has to back those warranties.

Another thing that helps me with Lee is their very “user friendly“ website where a perspective buyer can order up to 10 fabric swatches a day for FREE!

I have people who contact me from around the country to help them choose a style and fabric to compliment their room. It’s amazing what you can accomplish with a simple sketch or a few pics taken with a cell phone.

I‘m told I have the best prices too.

When you are going to purchase a piece of furniture to last 20 years plus, take your time and do your research.

One more thing, almost every sofa and chair in the Lee line can be slipcovered with machine washable fabrics. And their slipcovers fit so beautifully that you can’t even tell it’s a slip!

Let me know if I can help.

Peyton

www.peytonsplacefurniture.com

540-253-5800-Store

540-246-5880(c)

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Just sent this old Lee Industries beast out for reupholstering, along with some slight changes to the top.

• PRO
    Peyton’s Place
    4 years ago

That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Prime Ohio Real Estate
    4 years ago

I bought mine from Morris Furniture (higher end of Ashley Furniture). Had them for just over a year now. Made of top hide leather. Very deep and comfortable. Similar to RH sofas in style, except for 3 sections.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Carl Leatherman Designs
    4 years ago

I have purchased from most of the brands being discussed here. My personal favorites are: 1) Stickley (extremely high quality when the budget is not a consideration) 2) Ethan allen (timeless styles, above average quality - my parents still have ethan allen pieces they bought in the 60s) 3) hooker/sam moore - their case goods are better than the upholstery and will last decades if properly cared for) and finally, my all around favorite - BERNHARDT!!! Bernhardt is a heritage company dating back to the late 1800s. You’d expect their styles to be staid and traditional. Think again. This company has done an amazing job of creating unique, high quality pieces that have a more timeless take on modern. The price point is very competitive (especially if you can find it on sale) and the quality is on the high end of the middle (think comparable to Mitchell Gold, RH, Lee etc). I stage and do some light decorating work. For all around value, nobody comes close to bernhardt! If you shop their outlets, you can often find their pieces at or beliw the same cost found for an inferior piece at Ashley, but it will take some patience. My personal home is 60% bernhardt, 10% each Stickley, Ethan Allen, Hooker, and vintage or antique.

• grewa002
    4 years ago

Shopping for sofas as well. Any comments on Bradington-Young and Vanguard?

• Erin Hunsinger
    4 years ago

Compare the warranties for each of the companies you are considering. That tells you a lot about their quality. Better quality upholstery companies will have a lifetime warranty on the hardwood only frames and 8-way hand tied springs. (This is the best quality in the industry)

What are the cushion warranties? The better companies will have a 5 year warranty on their cushions. There are many of these to choose from if your budget allows, but these will also hold up to long term use compared to mid level upholstery companies. I think this is the best way to compare if you ask these questions of each mfg.

Bernhardt has very stylish casegoods, but I would not put my money into their mediocre upholstery. Same with Mitchell Gold and RH.

Lee has very good quality and much better for your money, they have all hardwood frames and 8 way hand tied springs. Same with Vanguard, CR Laine, Wesley Hall, and Bradington-Young. This group is very competitive with each other in price and quality. These companies all have leather as well if that is what you are looking for.

Then you jump up to the higher level of Taylor King, Pearson, Hancock & Moore, Hickory Chair, Pearson, Centruy, etc....

Buy the best quality you can afford with your budget.

• Ac Lb
    4 years ago

Your house is gorgeous! I have a few unrelated questions for you. What color white are your cabinets? What is the name of your granite? My kitchen is similar to yours, and I've been wanting to paint my antique white cabinets alabaster white. I'm hesitant because of my golden beige granite. Yours looks gorgeous though!

My next question is how do you like having a natural rug in the dining room? Is it easy to clean?

Thank you for your time!

• Erin Hunsinger
    4 years ago

Ac Lb, Who is this question being addressed to so they can answer you?

• Ac Lb
    4 years ago

Well, the homes in the above pics are all beautiful, but I'm referring to Julie Hansen's pictures. Her kitchen is similar to mine. I've been wanting to repaint our antique white (which lean yellow) cabinets an alabaster off white, but I've been concerned that it would make our beige/goldish granite stand out more. I love her cabinet color and was wondering what color she went with. I also was just wondering how she likes her natural rug under her dining table.

• Kim
    4 years ago

Following, but will also comment that I prefer stickley to century. I have a newer sofa and chaise from century (5-7 years old). And a stickley sofa that is more like 8-10 years old. Century does get more use for sure, but the couch and pillows leak feathers constantly, and always have. Pillow on the century chaise lost its shape-it was refilled and now, a few years later, has lost its shape again. There is no fluffing it...I’m going to move the century couch to a less used room and replace it, but it won’t be with another century. A lee sofa interests me, but how do you select one if you don’t have a local dealer/way to test it? I’m not likely to buy a sofa I have never sat on...

• kpenni
    3 years ago

Anything new on best sofa brands? This is thread has great info! Thanks

• PRO
    Prime Ohio Real Estate
    3 years ago

My updated great room.

• grewa002
    3 years ago

Beautiful!

• Rene Burroughs
    3 years ago

I am looking to replace our 30 year old lazy boy sectional. I have been looking at the lazy boy sofas that recline but am now hearing lazyboy is not the quality it use to be. Does anyone know of a sofa that has at least one reclining spot on it that is good quality. Want this to be my last sofa/sofas (probably need two) replacement. Or should we go with standard sofas and a regular recliner. I hate the look of the big recliners, but think we need at least one reclining piece. Also am thinking of two swivel chairs. Any help would be appreciated. I want to get the best quality for the best price. Thanks!

• studioedesigngroup
    3 years ago

Look at American Leather for a sofa with a recliner seat. Not all recliners are big and bulky. Look at CR Laine for recliners and swivel chairs, also have swivel rockers, and swivel gliders. Both have great quality and fabric leather selections.

• PRO
    Terry Cook,Ethan Allen ,Southlake,Tx
    3 years ago

Ethan Allen has them.
    If you’re in DFW... come see me in Southlake

• kpenni
    3 years ago

I love American Leather reclining sofas and motion chairs. They’re amazingly comfortable and look good too

• scandi_queen
    3 years ago

Following! I'm looking for a quality sofa that is more modern looking and have seen some from CR Laine and Lee that I like. Most of the showrooms around me that carry these brands have the more traditional looking sofas on their floor. So I've been testing them out for comfort and taking note of the dimensions, then comparing that to the sofas in their line that are my taste. Still scary to order a couch without seeing the real thing in person!

• BMD HOD
    3 years ago

Following

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.