rob_petrusevski

Home Audio/Automation prep

Rob Petrusevski
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Because well, we all need another thread :-)

Doing a major reno on our 1960's back split and opening up a lot of space. In the end it will be a rectangle room about 27ft wide/deep and 40-45ft long. Large open space with the main Family Room, Dining Room, and Kitchen. I love tech and am pretty comfortable with it. Also come from a family of electricians so my father and I will be doing all the electrical. Questions.

- I'll be running wires for audio in most/all rooms. Most likely end up with 8 zones - Master, Kitchen, Living, Family Room, Outdoor Patio area, Master Bathroom, potentially hallway or another bdrm or two. Should I run speaker wire, or cat5

- Home Audio. I have read a lot about sonos and I like the large library of audio sources (mostly stream) but I don't like small dock style speakers. Feel a compromise in quality of sound? I'm thinking in ceiling speaker with the odd sub placed in key rooms. Am I missing something with Sonos? I know I can use the connect in each room but then I'm up to 6-8 sonos connects.. must be a better way.

-budget? How much would you budget for a 3500sq ft home with the above?

Comment (1)

• PRO
    A/V Consulting
    8 years ago

For wiring, run both.... The way we wire houses, re run 16/4 (or 14/4) and a Cat5 (Cat6) to a Volume control/keypad location, then go from there to the speakers with 16/2. That way you have the option of putting in Volume Controls or a keypad based system. IF you don't need it, you blank it off. As for the Sonos, you could use the Sonos Connect Amps and In-Ceiling speakers, but then yes, you would either need one for each zone ($499 each) or you can put some zones together and use Volume controls for volume separation. Budget is a hard one. You can expect to spend $350-$1500 per pair of decent in-ceiling speakers(8", maybe a little less for 6"). Anything below that is what we call "contractors grade" is is pretty much a waste of time.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.