arialvetica

Most ergonomic cabinet hardware style

arialvetica
8 years ago

If you were choosing cabinet door/drawer hardware based entirely on ergonomics for a diverse set of users (various ages/abilities), what would you choose?

Comments (38)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I would choose bar-type pulls, with enough clearance to get thick fingers behind, placed horizontally on drawers, and vertically on doors. It seems that even someone with arthritis or limited hand strength could hook a finger or two and use a bar pull.

I love the vintage-style cup pulls, so I used them on some of the top drawers in my kitchen, and used bar pulls on the bottom drawers in the same stack. It's easier to hook fingers in the top of the bar pulls, without leaning over as far. (Disclosure--I bought my pulls on clearance and couldn't get enough of one style to do all the drawers anyway.)

arialvetica thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • practigal
    8 years ago

I second momma goose and add that I would not have them with ends that catch your clothing or you can bang your hips on.

• herbflavor
    8 years ago

C or D shapes.....various lengths.....prefer a gentle return at the ends myself, therefore, C shape. Bar pulls aren't the only game in town.....you'll have different style options with C/D shapes, if that is something you seek.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    8 years ago

And a bright or high-contrast color, not black pulls against mocha cabinets.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

T knobs are the worst of everything from a function perspective. Not as ergonomic as the C or D pulls mentioned above and if used on lowers, the possibility of catching on clothing, especially if they spin.

arialvetica thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • arialvetica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If I had to pick just one length of C-pulls, what length would work well on uppers, lowers, and drawers or various lengths? The narrowest drawer face is 6.25" wide.

• arialvetica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Any concerns with this style?

• Oaktown
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Cut outs? (no knobs or pulls)

The style you just posted looks good to me, though.

arialvetica thanked Oaktown
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Arial, that would work very well for anyone.

• Jancy
    8 years ago

I got these Amerock Westerly. Plenty of room when opening draws that my hand does not touch the cabinets on both the pulls and round knobs.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Arialvetica, the pulls you posted should work well.

• arialvetica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone! I think I'm headed in the right direction now. So glad I asked! :)

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I would also look for something with softer edges. With my RA, a sharp radius edge on a pull can really hurt if I grab it in the right (wrong) spot. Nerve pain all the way up to my shoulder!

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

Agree with everyone, and with Errant_gw about softer edges. Get samples (or go to a place that has them on display) so you can feel them in your hand. Here are the ones I got:

• cookncarpenter
    8 years ago

Agree with the softer edges. I picked mine from Rocky Mountain, for the feel as much as the look.

• DYH
    8 years ago

I had cup pulls at my previous house (sold last summer) and found them difficult for my wrists because I had to turn my hand over and my fingers up to pull.

In the 1939 kitchen addition, I went with a simple, stainless bar pull. Perhaps a bit modern, but it is what my local cabinet maker stocked that worked with my shaker cabinets. Just got into the kitchen today and I'm so glad I used the bar pulls.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

Plenty of good examples above; I would only add with the bar pull, don't go with something very narrow/slim -- I mean the bar itself, not the width of the pull. I have found that with painful joints, a chunkier pull is more comfortable.

Here is mine:

• Stan B
    8 years ago

I would assume most people concerned about accessibility would also value low maintenance. I try to avoid knobs mounted with a single screw because the screw can eventually work its way loose and then the knob can twist around damaging the finish on the cabinet. Knobs with a square base are the worst because they get out of alignment (no longer square) over time. Also when a knob with a square base rotates it can damage the cabinet finish in ways that are visible (unlike a round knob base that will cover up any damage left behind. I have a strong preference for pulls with two screws to hold everything secure. Plus handles/bars are easier to grab because you can hook a finger (or even two) around the handle/bar rather than having to grasp a knob.

• User
    8 years ago

Not all knobs rotate. My Amerock Revitalize square knobs have teeth that hold them tight. They haven't budged in four years. The pulls are deep, 1 1/4", and are very comfortable. Mine are the 5" size.

I open the doors with one or two fingers on the side of the knob. I don't use a pincer grip as it doesn't feel like a natural motion.

• Stan B
    8 years ago

Ok, you got me, I've never seen knobs with teeth but I still wouldn't use them. I would not want the teeth sinking into my cabinets in case I ever decide to replace the knobs. Replacing knobs is just about the lowest cost and easiest way to give a kitchen a minor face lift. Lots of choices out there folks.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

As far as using only one size pull, I did this and went with a 3" pull that way it was a standard size and easy to replace in the future.

I would say to go with a 3 or 4" but no bigger since your smallest is 6.25.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

Like Texas _Gem I used a 3" standard bar pull everywhere. My kitchen is not huge so none of my cabinets are bigger than 30". I really like the bar pull. I can open any door or drawer with my pinky if my hands are dirty. My DH has very large hands and he can easily get a good grip on the bar pulls. My pulls do protrude on the sides (which I said I wouldn't do but ended up doing anyway??), so far they haven't caught on my clothes yet which surprises me because my old knobs used to catch my clothes all the time.

• kelleg69
    8 years ago

carrie b and raee, can you tell me the names/manu of your pulls? I like them!

• desertsteph
    8 years ago

good info to have before buying. I also go for plain - nothing really is design, cut in or raised up that will catch and hold gunk and need to be cleaned out. Need easy to use and easy to clean. I'd get at least a 1" plus projection. 1.25' would be good.

pics shown above all look very nice and easy to use.

• jakuval
    8 years ago

I've done some work for mixed ADA facilities in the past - requirements were handles only, usually opted for 5.25 centers, curved with nothing to catch clothing or to bump into.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

Staple pulls. Same thing some people are calling C or D hooks. Keep the styling simple: color, whatever else, that's just personal preference and doesn't affect usability.

Because we're building with an eye towards aging in place, I went to Lowes and opened alllll the cabinets while pretending my hands and fingers didn't work well (I'm pretty sure I looked like a moron -- too bad). I found the larger handles MUCH easier to pull open. The larger pulls or handles are more expensive, but I'm convinced it's a worthwhile spend.

Bonus: You can also poke a dishtowel through a large staple hook. Can't do that with a cup pull.

I currently have T-knobs on my cabinets, and -- yes -- they are the worst. I LOVE the look, but they "twirl". I love the matching pulls on my drawers, but the T-knobs on my cabinets ... no, I'd never use this shape again.

• javiwa
    8 years ago

We went with Amerock Candler line -- very similar specs to what Jakuval mentioned: 96mm CTC with 1-1/8" projection. It's nice to easily slip one's hand/fingers into the space without scuffing the door/drawers. The projection on the slightly shorter 3" CTC version was about the same, but just looked a bit too rounded (think letter C) and cramped.

• alwaysonabudget
    8 years ago

We have Top Knobs Dakota collection. I wanted something that my family could open the drawers and cabinets without having to touch the actual cabinets and drawers. If a pull is too curved towards the ends, it limits the space where fingers can fit. We used the 6" through out the kitchen and live them.

• mom2sulu
    8 years ago

I was madly in love with cup pulls, but I chose to go with Amerock Revitalize due to the ergonomics. They are a joy to use and look nice too.

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

Kelleg - mine are Jeffrey Alexander's Belcastel.

I ended up getting the smaller size for the uppers, and then two larger sizes for the drawers. I couldn't be happier with the look and feel.

• practigal
    8 years ago

For all you people opening the caninets with just a finger or two, do you have any closers on the cabinet? Magnet or mechanical?

• javiwa
    8 years ago

practigal: no closers (magnetic..no latches -- is that what you mean?) -- just all soft close mechanisms.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

Just soft close. No mags or latches.

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

Just regular soft close for me.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

kelleg69, my pulls are Hafele 107.18.613, bought at Knobs-N-Pulls.com. They come in several sizes (mine are the 5") and finishes. I am very happy with them!

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

My kitchen is 11 yrs old. I recently updated the hardware. Very, very limited choices because I had 7" drop pulls (Center to center) on most drawers and 12" drop pulls on others. 7" is very limited in choice. 12" is expensive.

my advice...don't go with drop pulls..they are not ergonomic and they beat up your cabinets after the little "catch" wears out. Second...go with a standard size that won't limit your replacement choices in the future.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.