gregorysolko

Fireplace help

gregorysolko
8 years ago

I have a fireplace in a new house that I recently purchased. It is roughly 15 feet long by 10 feet tall. It has a 8 foot long long piece of black walnut as a mantle piece. I am looking into replacing it with bookshelves and a nice mantle. I am looking at remolding the entire front room, should i design it around the black walnut or simply remove all of the stone and the mantle. Thank you in advance for the help.

Comments (5)

• gregorysolko
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• susan2494
    8 years ago

I think the mantel is too high. I would remove it and see what it looks like and start over once it's gone. Also it that a popcorn ceiling? I would start with removing that and the carpet. Once those 3 things are done, then address how you want to decorate the FP.

• gregorysolko
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes it is popcorn ceiling! The only problem with removing is the walnut is buil into the wall.

• PRO
    Angela Scollar Designs - Decorating Den Interiors
    8 years ago

That's a lot of dark stone. You should decide on a budget. Removing the stone will cost a lot more than replacing the mantle and making minor changes. If budget allows, I would remove the stone and raised hearth/bench and start anew. Decorating Den is a national company and we have decorators all over the US and Canada and we offer free initial consultations.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

We had a lava rock fireplace except it was black....when hugs started removing it discovered it was cemented to the fireplace blocks. So we removed the sand sandstone mantel by chipping it off and then framed a new wall and sheetrocked it and removed the franklin stone and re tiled that. Good luck. A faster way is to just paint over it and sand it down on the edges a bit for an antiqued look.....just two cents here. Good luck.

These are both painted. Check out info with each pic!

Orchid Lane Dallas, TX · More Info

Transitional Family Room · More Info

gregorysolko thanked Susan Davis
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.