colorblind1961

HELP!! 3 FEET OF SNOW ON POOL COVER!!

colorblind1961
8 years ago

We just got hit with 3 plus feet of snow and I am concerned with all the weight of the snow on the cover......it's custom fitted for our 33,000 gallon in ground pool. Usually we can shovel the snow off, but this is just way too much snow. Worried about the cover pushing the pool water out onto the pool deck and freezing. Also worried about the integrity of the springs that hold the cover. Should I be concerned??

Comments (5)

• somersetlass
    8 years ago

My first pint of call would be the manufacturer or installer. They will know weight bearing tolerances. Tho I'd expect as the snow is three foot deep across the whole span of the cover this won't be as problematic as if it was a huge weight on just part.

Good luck. No pool here as in the UK and we'd get about a weeks use out it a summer and no snow, just mud!

• PRO
    www.SwimmingPoolSteve.com
    8 years ago

Was the pool full of water or partially drained? Also, do you have a solid cover or a mesh cover?

• PRO
    The Pool & Spa Place
    8 years ago

Can you provide the make and style (solid/mesh) of the cover? How far above the level of the water inside the pool was the cover prior to the snowfall? If he cover was already at water level chances are good that there is very minimal stress being put on the cover. You should NEVER attempt to cross the cover to clear the snow, but it will extend the life of your cover if you attempt to clear it as much as safely possible. I am in the Northeast and getting some warm weather this weekend, hopefully some of it is reaching you where you are!

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a solid cover, not mesh, installed by Anthony & Sylvan. Water level was just below the skimmers. I called them and they assured me that the cover and springs would be able to withstand the weight of 3 feet of snow. Since my inquiry, a lot of the snow has melted and my husband was able to shovel off all the snow around the edges of the pool cover.

Thanks again for your help! Very much appreciated!

• PRO
    The Pool & Spa Place
    8 years ago

Great news! Just be sure to drain the cover when it thaws to help extend it's life.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.