lorraineonabudget

Help Choosing Furniture Style for 80s Coastal Cabin!

Hello!

We recently purchased this coastal cabin built in the early 80s. It is a bit eclectic, with both light oak cabinets and trim, fir ceiling and doors, dark beams, a huge river rock fireplace, and spiral staircase.

We are looking for some advice on choosing a style to use throughout the house. Not sure how to deal with all the different wood. Suggestions on furniture styles, lighting, paint colors, etc... would be wonderful!

Living Room looking into kitchen and dining room with view of upstairs loft.

View of kitchen & dining room - Have updated stainless steel fridge and dishwasher, and knick knacks are gone.

Eventually we would plan to remodel the kitchen, and replace the kitchen/dining room laminate flooring and update the carpet, but probably not for a few years.

Living Room with View of Fireplace. Living room is huge, with a great view, and lots of windows on the wall to the right of the fireplace.

Living Room, view opposite fireplace.

Note the expansive bookshelves. Any ideas as to what to do with these would be great! Previous owners had a sliding ladder, but they didn't leave it, and we don't plan on adding one. Collection of something? Books just for looks?

Loft, looking down into living room. Note the beautiful fir ceilings. Also, the different styles of track lights, which we'd like to replace to make everything cohesive.

Thanks so much!

Comments (25)

• Rusty Empire
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The fir beams, ceiling and stone are great! The issue is the mismatched tones of wood. Inquire about the cost of having the fir beams only soda blasted back to raw wood. The weak link here is the godawful blond cabinetry. And being oak it is a tricky one to paint over due to the wood grain. Plus I can see there is a mix of melamine as well. Short answer: remove them and upgrade. They are not worth salvaging, but do donate to Restore or similar. This space is crying for a new kitchen! I don't mind the higher shelves (but I don't love them either), def. the sideboard and shelves below them need to go. And pull out the carpet. Consider unifying the space with one type of flooring to avoid the current "all over the map" look. Great space tho. Best of luck.

Rustic Kitchen · More Info

lorraineonabudget thanked Rusty Empire
  • studio10001
    8 years ago

Your house has great bones. I suggest getting to work on an ideabook or two to identify what styles appeal to you - try using words like swedish, lake house, brutalist, and eclectic to open up additional possibilities to those more easily found on the site. Congratulations!

lorraineonabudget thanked studio10001
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 years ago
    Rusty has already said it, but the house has some really strong elements- the ironwork, wood ceilings and beams, the stone. To me the floating bookshelf is too odd for words, and as he identifies the cabinetry is a mess. Short term painting the cabinets (thankless task) would at least neutralize them while you figure out the rest.
    lorraineonabudget thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Beautiful house, like all the different timbers, gives it character. Have a look at modern rustic style
    lorraineonabudget thanked Irene Morresey
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

Whatever you do leave the ceiling as is. You can remove the track lighting though. What a wonderful dilemma you have. I hope you have many collections & books. Maybe start with a bookcase ladder! Is that a free standing piece of furniture separating the kitchen from the great room?

lorraineonabudget thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

Before doing anything major, start a list of the things you & your family like & dislike most about the spaces. This will give you a direction in which way to start. Put the likes on the right side of the page & the dislikes on the left. You may want to put initials on each item so it will help you to determine whether to do them or not.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

I almost would not like to see the carpeting changed out for wood floors as there is so much wood already. Since it is coastal, think about a hard wearing tile for the new flooring.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Use the same flooring throughout the whole floor.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

our vacation home built in the mid 80s is remarkably similar but smaller. we've been remodeling it since we bought it in 2000, most everything that is going to get done has gotten done. we had that same kitchen when we bought the house, and nasty wall to wall carpeting. lighting fixtures still on the to-do list.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Great place. Cable lighting would look sharp against that ceiling.

2012 Parade Of Homes--Dominion · More Info

lorraineonabudget thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Replacing the carpet with flagstone would be awesome.

Contemporary Family Room · More Info

Buckhead Client's Ski Retreat - New Construction · More Info

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

I'm almost thinking that would bring in yet another buzy element. How about a high grade white or off-white porcelain? Any thoughts? With the same color grout & laid tight together.

• PRO
    Bilgart Design
    8 years ago

The "bricks" on the fireplace/ walls is enough stone to go around. Keep or replace the wood floor!

lorraineonabudget thanked Bilgart Design
  • PRO
    Bilgart Design
    8 years ago

your house has a japanese feeling?

How about taking it in that direction, supper simple?

• PRO
    Bilgart Design
    8 years ago

Replace carpet with wood.

• Darzy
    8 years ago

This is sort of what I had in mind. Notice lots of wood here and a rock fireplace. However, the MCM furniture, lighting and art looks great in the space. I'd keep the white walls and clean line furniture to keep it "simple" since there is a lot of character already.

BTW...I think the previous owners should have left the ladder. Wasn't it attached on a rail?

Ragley Hall Residence Living Room · More Info

lorraineonabudget thanked Darzy
  • PRO
    Bilgart Design
    8 years ago

Perfect, just better with a wooden floor unless you live in the tropics. Tile are cold!

keep the wooden floors light ( as in there dining area) as whitish as possible, not yellow. and the other wood in the space a tad bit darker like in the picture.

All walls white to show off trim and artwork. good luck

• Darzy
    8 years ago

BTW...it's a great house! Great character and style. The big round window upstairs is awesome. Since you just purchased and flooring and an updated kitchen isn't in the budget for a while, a minimalistic design could work quite nicely. A new dining chandelier would be my first purchase. : )

Blue Linen Sofa Button Tufted · More Info

• Darzy
    8 years ago

A simple wood dinette table with eames chairs?

East end Modern Kitchen · More Info

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

OK, forget the flagstone; it's a little busy. Maybe polished concrete instead. In any case, drywalling over the bookcase will be way cheaper and look better than trying to fill it.

• Darzy
    8 years ago

Any trees down on the property? Here's a DIY coffee table almost free!

Hydeaway House · More Info

• Darzy
    8 years ago

Lorraine, if money was no object, what sofa would you purchase for the home? That would help us determine your style/personality.

• lorraineonabudget
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I will definitely be discussing all of these ideas with my family.

I definitely lean towards a more mid-century aesthetic, so I'm excited that a few of you have mentioned working with that. This would be our vacation cabin, so we are hoping to have some durable and comfortable furniture for the living room area that will last us a long time.

I've also looked into the modern rustic style, which I like. I'm hoping to incorporate just a few simple rustic touches so it doesn't feel overbearing, or too designed. I'm thinking of incorporating it with accent tables, shelves, and textiles for that natural element.

Right now, we are talking a lot about lighting, as that seems like a simple switch that would really add some design consistency.

Any suggestions for lighting?

Specifically above the dining room table, and some pendants for the kitchen. Right now the kitchen has a ghastly florescent box light that we are thinking of swapping for 2-3 pendants.

I can try to get some more detailed photos too if that would be helpful for anyone. Just let me know!

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Just some inspiration, do love the lanterns and orbit lights. Pottery barn might have some interesting lights
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.