spankis_22

Is renovation more stress than it is worth?

spankis
8 years ago

Let me know, so i can start my planning -

or not!!?

YES
NO
other

Comments (4)

• User
    8 years ago

It depends a lot on getting a good builder. Also secure a good finance stream.

• georgi02
    8 years ago

Exactly Chook! And do your homework researching everything about your reno and plan, plan, plan, plan and plan then when you start, stick to your plan. That plan includes budgets - make friends with excel and plug in everything on a item by item basis and cost it out (put your quotes in it too so you can track them) then share it with your builder. Oh and don't forget to give yourself at least 10% contingency (and take into account the age of your home - older homes throw up more surprises...or "holy sh*t" moments.

• junipergirl
    8 years ago

Well, I've been renovating this house for now on 12 years on and off, and the stress at times can be real tough. Most of it is due to the person who is helping me renovate. Their lack of communication skills and doing what they think I want rather than sticking to the budget and/or plan is a bone of contention. So, I think it can be a stressful situation but not if you clearly have someone working with you not against you all the time! (The person has Asperger's and it's really hard to keep him on task and not tangent off....sigh.....getting there though!)

Ask ask and ask around, check reviews online, ask to look at their work of the tradies, if you are going to use them. Plumbers, plasterers will often give you a reduced rate if you do some of the leg work yourself, like prep walls, or get all the pipes etc together.

Have a clear understanding where you are going and have a time frame and try to stick to it. DO NOT start renos in late summer when the weather is still good, the weeks run away real fast and soon it is dark and changeable and the project not finished!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

In this situation, i think it has a lot to do with how many you have to push and how many to pull?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.