tommyflan

POLL: See-through bath - hit or miss?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

We've asked you what you think of open plan bathrooms, but now we're going a step further - what do you think about a see-through bath?

With a shift towards glass ceilings and floors, it was only a matter of time before transparency incorporated itself into our furniture!

So whether you've heard of this yet or not, vote below and tell us your thoughts! You never know it might be...romantic?

Showhouse property · More Info

Hit - I don't see why not!
Miss - No thanks
Other - tell us!

Comments (33)

• oliviaamywicks
    8 years ago

A step too far, nobody needs to see that detail!

• User
    8 years ago

Hmm, the glass ceiling inhibits the Miss. So the glass bath must inhibit the Mr. Though I do vote for transparency, and accountability, especially in this rocky economic climate.

What about a large picture window at the end, with a view of the sea, and an infinity edge?

all you need then is a transparent model boat.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tom.

I quite like the idea when it comes to pools... If you don't have a living pool you can incorporate one on the roof... With glass below... Or one with glass walls so you can be seen as the mermaid you are.......

When washing one's tresses, I rather think modesty is more.. : ))

• PRO
    Louise Richardson-Vine
    8 years ago

Hmmm, I voted no, but I suppose if you never have anyone else in the bathroom but you, and you have a lock on the door, then it wouldn't matter too much?!

• Najeebah
    8 years ago
    Privacy is no issue as I see it. The bathtub goes in a closed-off bathroom, not so? And shower doors are commonly transparent, revealing you to the otherwise deserted bathroom. but I agree with Diana, the novelty weighed against the constant cleaning loses
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Diana and Najeebah,

Well that's assuming someone hasn't washed in weeks... I rather think we'd be wallowing hippos! ( if we had a novelty bath!) Oh and I have found bath salts to be a culprit for a tide mark! So don't use them at all anymore the perfume leaves it's presence known in a somewhat unpleasant after effect..

: ))

• PRO
  • PRO
    Graefe Ltd - Internal doors
    8 years ago

looks lovely

• User
    8 years ago

Just too much information all round imo! Feels like it might exist in a house that also has a round bed covered in red satin sheets with mirrors on the ceiling!

• Diana Rose
    8 years ago
    Amber any water droplets would spoil the effect. It is totally impractical.
  • User
    8 years ago

Here's how to look good in that bath. Cover the surface of the water with rose petals.

• Diana Rose
    8 years ago
    Chookchook. And who wants to clear up soggy rose petals afterwards?
  • User
    8 years ago

Oh, I forgot a small step.

Run bathwater, go out your front door, turn right, knock on all your neighbourhood doors that have gardens and ask to cut rose cuttings, in return for mowing their lawns or Hoovering their living room, take cuttings home when you have a hundred, then go out and buy a huge bag of sand and another huge bag of peat moss, lug them home in a trailer attached to a bicycle, combine the materials in a large wheelbarrow, after emptying it of all that manure, dig in that manure, go to all your neighbours asking for pots, go home with 30 pots, plant cuttings, lug a full watering can for two years to water cuttings, go around to neighbours in that time to get bigger pots, walk their dogs in return, pot up the growing roses, wonder what colour they are going to be, what curry your neighbour is having for dinner and if the other single one is good in bed ; carry a bigger watering can to water 76 or so roses, start a compost heap, when cuttings are two years old, dig 76 holes wider than your butt, but not as deep as a grave, only the last 65 holes feel like they are that deep, fetch compost in the wheelbarrow, mix compost in the holes, plant up the rose bushes, realise they are too close to the paths, so replant, get covered in thorn cuts, get an infection, cycle to the doctor for antibiotics, carry a watering can and water rose plants for a year, exult in the many beautiful flowers, pick them, pluck them , take off the petals, cut every petal into a heart shape, strew into bath AND you have shaped up so much with all that exercise, youre proud of your new look and either you are going to enjoy your cold bath by yourself, or did you get to know that neighbour? ;)

• PRO
    BigBathroomShop
    8 years ago

Would certainly create a statement in the bathroom, but it'snot the most practical choice!

• PRO
    The Original Chair Company
    8 years ago

Just sharing a little too much I think!

• User
    8 years ago

Tom, I love your threads. I'm leaving Houzz in a couple of days, thanks for having me as a visitor on UK site sometimes. I'm still grateful to the UK girls who had a chat thread on the site before the split into countries. They were welcoming to me on their thread as a Aussie newbie to Houzz, in 2013.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Always welcome here Chook - not alone in saying don't go! X

• User
    8 years ago

I have to, doctors orders for my heart. You're always sweet, thank you. Just doing a bit of mopping as I back out the door, lol. That's how I move House.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

ahh that's very poignant ! A lovely way to put it! You've been really supportive so that means a lot!

• User
    8 years ago

Well, I was just a Houzzguest here.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks @chookchook - always nice to hear some kind words! All the best wherever you go, maybe we'll see you around soon - a Houzz is a home after all!

• User
    8 years ago

Many thanks, to you and the UK staff, Tom.

• Rachel Oakes
    8 years ago

I used to have a glass sink; it was impossible to keep clean. Couldn't imagine trying to keep that bath clean!

• Jonina Lavabre
    8 years ago

I like it! It is gorgeous but I voted other but because I do wonder about the insulation. I like really hot baths you see and one of my pet peeves is bad insulation on a bath tub ....or tubs that do not keep the water hot. How is the insulation on this type?

• PRO
    Surrey Home Interiors
    8 years ago

Nice fish tank! :)

• jobdonelondon
    8 years ago

Well, that is certainly a different experience. Why not, try it out, be bold.

• User
    8 years ago

it needs fish in it, not people!!!

• PRO
    Kelly-Herbert Interior Design
    8 years ago
    Just to add a quick designer's note! This room which I designed was a display room in the Ideal Homes Exhibition many years ago. It was designed to show the public current (at the time) trends in sanitary ware and to create a "talking piece" in the house. So, it was never intended for personal use nor was it in a private residence!!
  • malento
    7 years ago

looks nice but imagine trying to clean it!

• PRO
    NV Interiors
    7 years ago

Not a huge fan of this look aesthetically but also I don't like the idea of using it and feeling to exposed !

• moiraford
    7 years ago
    Eeeew! No, just no!
  • tezz4
    6 years ago

I agree with Joanna Rose and others the cleaning drama would beat the scope of any beauty in the design - not that l find it a turn on!! I prefer to avoid glass and plexi situations as much as possible for a ton of practicality reasons.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.