theack36

Problem with glass mosaic water line pool tile

theack36
8 years ago

I have Luanda bay mantra tile on the face of my jacuzzi and water line pool tile . All of the tile that is submerged in water is fine . The tile above the water line is cracking , breaking and a few have fallen off . The company that sold me the tile says it is because there are no"movement or soft joints " between the coping and the tile . They say and I have researched this, that because the tile above the water line is subject to changes in temp, glass expands and contracts and without the soft joint there is no where for those stresses to go so the tile breaks . Below the water line the environment is constant . Lunada says it was not installed properly . I have a lot more information but this is getting too long . Anyone else have problems with glass pool tile like this ?

Comments (30)

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness. Maybe a pro will come along and help you.

• epuig
    8 years ago

We are considering glass. Curious how long have you had this tile. Thank you for the info

• Carol Shafman
    6 years ago
    I wanted their tile, but after hearing about cracking and not seeing clear indications that they were ANSI tested, I decided to throw my sample in my freezer. 18 hours later 2/8 tiles cracked. I am back to the selection drawing board
  • miriampaige
    6 years ago

in reading professional instructions...one needs to use antifracture membrane before installing tile.

• PRO
    Ali G. Designs
    5 years ago

I am having the same issue .. Devastating that my stunning pool is now crumbling.

Did you end up removing the tiles? I am unclear if this is an installation issue or a manufacturer issue.

• Patti Costello
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Lunada Bay will claim that it is an installation problem. I had tiles crack during a bathroom remodel and they said it was the installer (which is wasn't). They use the installer defect defense all the time according to tie store I often do business with. They are aware of the problems with their tile (all over the internet) and will even send you back to store you purchased the tile at. Disappointing!

• Home4Here
    5 years ago
    I am so sorry with your experience regarding Lunada Bay tiles. I really, really wanted their Lucca Pearl Agate in our kitchen but after much research, decided against them. They are beautiful, but finicky and way too expensive. I hope you find a solution to the problem, so upsetting.
  • run2bfit
    4 years ago

Oh no! I hope whoever was responsible fixed this for you. I've just ordered Tommy Bahama Surin 1x2 Brick by Lunada Bay for our pool waterline tile. I am aware that the tile must be installed using specific installation instructions which I have let my PB know about and will be giving him a copy of the instructions. Also I am educating myself by watching this video by Ken Milbery. Here is the link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmrEphUUaUU . Hopefully this will help me to see that it is done according to the new standards for installing glass tile that is now paper faced. I think they are no longer using a mesh backing because it creates a barrier attaching the tile to the substrate. Thanks for sharing so others might not have to go through this too.

• PRO
    Aquatic Technology Pool and Spa
    4 years ago

Expert assistance is available through https://www.facebook.com/glasstileexpert/

1-800-440-1611.

• Michael Hamilton
    3 years ago

Same issue as those above. This is a westward-facing wall on the water feature. No water contact except if it sloshes over the top. I have a lot of this tile around my pool and cracked tiles throughout, although this section is by far the worst. Leaves a lot of shards when it disentigrates 5 years old but been happening for at least 3. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

• Michael Hamilton
    3 years ago

Same issue as those above. This is a westward-facing wall on the water feature. No water contact except if it sloshes over the top. I have a lot of this tile around my pool and cracked tiles throughout, although this section is by far the worst. Leaves a lot of shards when it disentigrates 5 years old but been happening for at least 3. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

• Michael Hamilton
    3 years ago

• Lisa Lambros
    3 years ago

I am about to purchase $5k worth of this tile and super concerned after reading this! Are these issues happening in cold weather environments? I am in FL and wondering if anyone is experiencing any issues. Or is there anything similar to the Lucca Pearl of Asolo Pearl tile that I can consider? I love this tile and I am so sorry to see these issues.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Lisa...

this from another commenter:
    I've just ordered Tommy Bahama Surin 1x2 Brick by Lunada Bay for our pool waterline tile. I am aware that the tile must be installed using specific installation instructions which I have let my PB know about and will be giving him a copy of the instructions. Also I am educating myself by watching this video by Ken Milbery. Here is the link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmrEphUUaUU . Hopefully this will help me to see that it is done according to the new standards for installing glass tile that is now paper faced. I think they are no longer using a mesh backing because it creates a barrier attaching the tile to the substrate. Thanks for sharing so others might not have to go through this too.

i'll just add that sealing the faces of the tile prior to grouting will help seal any of the fissures so that the grout/mortar won't discolor it.

make sure to check w/Lunada and get specific instructions on how to install in a pool

• PRO
    3 years ago

We can provide assistance for glass tile mosaic tile failures and determining if it is a glass tile/material or installation failure.

Expert assistance is available through https://www.facebook.com/glasstileexpert/

1-800-440-1611.

• Kristina Metcalf
    2 years ago

Lisa, my friend in Wellington, FL has had to rip out all of her glass tile which was pretty much the entire pool and spa. I was asking her today about it since we are about to embark on a pool renovation and because the corners are curved we need to use mosaic. All the mosaic that we like is glass and our friend was emphatic about us not using glass. I’ve just watched the links posted and they are very informative. The information is designed for installers and designers, however, I as the consumer need to be aware of what to ask these folks. This is the sort of info less scrupulous contractors will avoid telling you. Interestingly one of the guys in the group admitted to using poor quality glass tile at one point since it was a pay check. I’m in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL and we get hard freezes and super hot summers with high humidity. The temperature changes are a concern, however, the installation is huge and of course whether or not the tile is ANSI rated.

• run2bfit
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Update: I live in central Florida and The ANSI rated Tommy Bahama Surin 1x2 Brick glass pool tile by Lunada Bay is holding up beautifully after one year+. I did a great deal of research educating myself and our installer who only installs for a pool company. I read over the instructions carefully with him showed him the Ken Milbery video. He followed the instructions to the letter even redoing the first area he was not satisfied with afterwards. This was his first experience installing the paper faced glass tile using the new standards. He was a true professional. Just wanted to share this update with anyone interested. Here are a few before and after photo's. *I did not seal the faces of the tile prior to grouting or at anytime after.

• Kristina Metcalf
    2 years ago

@run2bfit, your pool looks beautiful! Glad it’s holding up!

Our installer saw the sample board of the Tommy Bahama 1x1 mosaic (Maltives) and didn’t like the beveled edge - said it would pop off eventually due to air pockets in the grout. He also didn’t like the paper faced aspect of it. Basically he was discouraging us and turning us to a stone based tile. The install was also going to cost us $65 per linear foot on top of the tile price. I found a mosaic by AKUA with straight edges and it is mesh backed…so two of the issues he didn’t like are addressed. However, it is a stone, glass, shell mosaic. The shell is glued onto the face of what appears to be a stone tile. We were told it was ‘pool rated’ but I’m waiting for the technical specs from the manufacturer. The only issue I’m supper concerned about is the shell. I’m certain that it will pop off. Has anyone had any experience with shell faced mosaic in a pool environment? This would be a waterline tile.

• Kristina Metcalf
    2 years ago

This is the sample board for the AKUA

• Butthatsjustme
    2 years ago

I’m curious where you live. I live in California where freezing temps are rare. I wonder if that makes a difference.

• run2bfit
    2 years ago

I live in Florida:)

• Arie S
    2 years ago

We are in the process of having the same tile installed for a pool and I noticed tonight that there are many cracked tiles that have been grouted. Not sure what to do at this point. The tile installer seemed meticulous, to the point where he pulled a bunch off and restarted after it wasn't lining up.

• run2bfit
    2 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with cracked tile Arie S. Are you using the ANSI rated Tommy Bahama glass pool tile by Lunada Bay? I read over the instructions carefully with the installer then showed him the Ken Milbery video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmrEphUUaUU&ab_channel=TileDoctor Ken is an industry expert who travels educating others how to work with tile. He now works with Lunada Bay. Our installer very carefully followed installation instructions that came with the tile. Even redoing the area he started as this was his first time installing the paper faced glass tile using the new standards. *We did not seal the faces of the tile prior to grouting or after. Some other Ken Milbery educational videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvq5rz7wy0&ab_channel=LunadaBayTile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTjZ7T7DW9U&ab_channel=AskTheMasters (there are 3 parts to this discussion very technical but educational). You should have a warranty on the tile itself and the installers work. Hope this helps!

• Kristina Metcalf
    2 years ago

I’m curious about the expansion joints. I can’t find anywhere where is says how big they should be. Our tile has been installed and grouted and I’m seeing only a 1/8” space between the stacked stone on our water feature and the glass tile (Lunada bay). There have been a few mistakes made on our installation so far according to an industry expert and we are at the point of putting on the coping, which is another issue because we have tile sitting above the pool beam. I have tried very hard to do as much research as possible and have shared all of it with our pool contractor who is well known and respected, however, they have been sloppy. I also don’t see any expansion joints around the skimmer which I understand there needs to be since the tile is meeting a new material.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Kristina, start your own post. this one is old and belongs to another poster and title. no one is going to scroll down and see your question.

you should call and ask Lunada tile to see if 1/8 is enough

• Kristina Metcalf
    2 years ago

I did, and they just referred me back to the tile installation guidelines which doesn’t specify the size.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

call them back and speak to someone else who knows tile install for a pool. give them the tile specs you bought and have them answer you. If your pool guy knows, and he's doing it, have it written into the contract. specifically have a clause about tile expansion and he's responsible for a redo if it cracks or breaks.

did you see this?

last year

1-800-440-1611.

• efasano10
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi yes I actually just had the same issue with my mosaic glass pool tiles. The same exact thing happened to us. The tiels under the water were perfectly fine but the tiles above the waterline started to become damaged. Mine were purchased at NPT (National Pool Tile) Arctic 1X1 glass tile Ice #AT012. At first we though it was salt build up and we tried to clean it and tried differnt products. Then we started to notice the glass was breaking off. We called NPT and they did a warrenty form for us. They stated that they discontinued this line from its manufactuer. They had a gentalmen from NPT warrenty come out to our home to see and inspect the condition of the tile. Suprisingly the man from the company had also picked out the same tile for his pool, he said he wife loved the color and he too had the same issue. He said he did a lot of research and found that these are made and manufactured in Mexico. He said there is a specific process which is done for glass tiels used in pools. It is called the ANNEALING process. Its the cooling process of the glass. The glass must be able to withstand submersion in the water, water pressure, expansion and contraction of grout, chemically treated water and full sun. It is very unfortunate that we did not know that the glass tile we picked out was not a high grade "pool approved tile" or it was but it was not Annealed properly and therefore was defective. We loved loved this tile. We are in the process of having our pool builder send a quote to the company and we picking out new tile. UGH so sad. I never thought we would have to do new glass tile and resurface our pool so soon. Oh and yes our pool buidling said he has to do the diamond brite all over again he can not just remove the old tiles and re-tile it will not look right and the edges will not be smooth. UGH. I dont think you received the correct information it was not the installation it was the tile it self that is defective. At least that is what im learing. See all of the white scaling or what looks like scaling, its the tile braking down.

• Isabelle Muha
    last year

It is the installers, we are dealing with the same issue, fortunately we caught them before the pool was completed. They installed the tile without protection from the sun, grouted in high heat, did not clean the Epoxy grout correctly, used Muriatic Acid repeatedly to try and "clean" the grout, bleaching out the color of the grout, leaving streaky yellow, green and gray patches and a haze that covers the glass. Tiles are popping out, there are no expansion joints, sharp edges were removed with a grinder, which also left chipped tiles. Our beautiful tile pool is a costly mess. "High End" pool builder in South Florida, indicated he can "retroactively" put in expansion joints "If I want them", they will be white. Laticrete makes a matching silica joint material, put some silica sand on it and it looks like the grout, (if they can make a straight line).

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.