rjpjnk47

Beware of explosive cracks with Dupont Corian counter tops. (No heat!)

rjpjnk47
8 years ago

BEWARE OF EXPLOSIVE CRACKS!
I purchased a Dupont Corian countertop for my kitchen 5 years ago, and a couple months ago it exploded! My wife and I were sitting in the living room one quiet morning when all of the sudden a loud *Bang!* was heard. We rushed into the kitchen looking for whatever could have caused such a sound. Then we saw it. A giant gaping zig-zaged crack about 24" long across our kitchen peninsula. There was nothing on the counter. There was nobody in the room! I thought maybe it was the sun shining through the window heating it or maybe the floor shifted, but everything looked normal and still level. I was glad to have a 10 year warranty. However, when I called Dupont and they sent their claims inspector to examining the counter he determined that the crack was due to us placing hot pots on the counter, and Dupont denied the claim. I was sad, of course, because there was nothing at all on the counter, and it had been over 4 years since anything hot was ever placed on it. I loved my Corian counter, but this really seemed unfair to me. From the moment the inspector entered our house I could tell he was of the opinion that Corian never fails, and his job was merely to find how the home owner caused the problem. He found some circles on the counter top that he explained indicated a hot pot had once been placed there, and based on this the claim was denied. I believe the heat itself had nothing to do with the actual crack, but it did present a technical out for the warranty, and there was nothing we could do. I suspect the real reason was that it was not installed with sufficient support underneath, or the material was simply defective or contained an air pocket. I feel a bit cheated. Please, if anyone does buy a Corian counter, be very careful never to put a single hot pot on it. The material is apparently ruined for life buy this, or at least your warranty will be. Here is a pic of the crack. It is covered with tape here to avoid getting dirt in it.

Since the time of this picture (a couple months ago) a second crack has developed in another portion of the counter.

Comments (118)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"Are you suggesting the fabricator may have repaired this piece before I received it?"

Yes. Sorry I don't know how to do the photo arrow pointing thing, but look at where the crack starts in the edge on your second picture. At the very same point, an apparent seam failure starts too. There is an apparent parallel line opposite the seam failure, not the crack. This looks like a previous repair to me and if it's unsupported, it's fabricator error.

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do you mean this picture? I have looked and looked but I can't see a seem you are talking about. There is clear tape over the crack. Could it be the tape edge you are seeing?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

It's tape.

• Shirley Allsup
    7 years ago

Here's a new edible for u all my Corrine counter top was really level and pretty I used the dish washer that is under the counter top when the washer was done I noticed the counter top has a bulge right in the center of the counter top. I guess u can't have a dishwasher anywhere near the counter maybe in the back yard!!!!! This material is junk. I will never buy DuPont crap again. Shirley

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, that stinks. I have a dishwasher under mine and it hasn't caused a problem so far. I did notice that they used a different underlayment in the area over the dishwasher though. It is a much harder and smoother green material of some sort, whereas the rest of the counter top just uses white laminated particle board. I assume the green stuff is specifically for use over dishwashers and probably handles the humidity and heat better. Just my guess. Maybe your fabricator didn't add this feature?

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I've had a dishwasher (actually 2 different dishwashers) under my Corian countertop now for 32 years. No bulges, no explosions yet!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Shirley Allsup:

You and rjpjnk47 do not have Corian based on your underlayment descriptions and bubbling de-lamination issue, however, this is very consistent with Wilsonart's Solid Surface Veneer product that was subject to a class action lawsuit settlement and subsequently discontinued due to these very problems.

Please don't blame a 40-year-old wonderful product for the failures of a competitor's experiment.

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Joseph, you know I have Corian. I am the OP of this thread, remember? I have many pictures posted above. It was you who pointed out to me that the fabricators were not supposed to use particle board and I am still trying to get DuPont to reinspect my installation and correct this error.

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wish it was actually Wilsonart as you suggested Joe, then I definitely have grounds for having it replaced given that my receipt says Corian :) Also, since Corian themselves inspected it I think they would have noticed if it wasn't their product. Yep. My Corian definitely failed and they so far will not honor the warranty as we left off last March. I have since submitted a complaint with the BBB and also Dept of Consumer Affairs. As you may recal I have three fabrication errors. (1) Particle board underlayment, (2) Insufficient corner radius (.25"), and (3) excessive overhang without adequate support (only particle board for 12"). Thanks to your excellent advice I have obtained a copy of Corian's Fabricators Manual and have found that it does in fact state no particle board may be used for underlayment, and that the minimum inside corner radius is 0.5". Corian is going to be sending someone out to take another look and I will be giving him pictures of these defects. Unfortunately they are sending the exact same guy they sent last time. Apparently there is only one single repair/inspection person servicing the whole Northeastern USA. He works for a company called Surface Link and is driving all the way from Connecticut to my house in NJ. They have no one closer. Just for fun, here is a pic of my trying to show the radius of my two inside corners. One is 0.25 and the other is about 0.30. That's the one with the crack.

Pic showing inside corner radius of 0.25" I measured this by fining the closest size socket that fit snugly in the corner and hugged the radius without any gap. Then measured diameter and divided by two. The arrangement here trying to show radius directly is just for photographic purposes.

And here is the other inside corner coming in at about 0.30". This one developed a crack as shown, and it goes all the way through the front piece as well. I think the crack could have been caused by the radius being too small. Absolute minimum allowed is 0.50" according to the Fabrication Guide I have.

Oh, and here is another pic of my Corian counter with particle board underlayment.

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And here is a pic showing the green underlayment they used above my dishwasher. Sorry it is so messy. Didn't think to clean up first. Is this also not normal/permitted for a Corian install Joseph? Thanks for your help as always!

Pic showing what Corian puts above dishwashers.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I gotta start rereading old threads that I respond to.

• runs_with_scissors6
    7 years ago

Yay!

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

Cool beans, can't wait to see the new tops!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Good for you.

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

UPDATE: The new counter top is installed and it looks like new again!

The new version has a much larger radius on the inside corners (1.5" compared to 0.25" in the original) and the underlayment is water resistant MDF (as opposed to particle board in the original). Dupont authorized replacement for the entire kitchen (3 separate counters) not just the one that cracked. So clearly they were addressing the fabrication errors and not just the crack. They knew the fabrication errors were there, of course, since they had taken many pictures when they originally came out to inspect before denying my warranty claim citing "heat damage". Then when I mentioned to them that I was aware of the fabrication errors they changed their tune and immediately decided "whole kitchen replacement". No questions asked. No proof required. Many thanks to Joseph for pointing out the fab errors or I would be paying 2600 bucks for a new top instead of 0.

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

It's so nice to hear Dupont (finally) came through for you. A pic or two of the new tops would be nice as well. :)

• friedajune
    7 years ago

I'd like to think this forum and Joseph's expert input had something to do with Dupont's turnaround. When you mentioned to them you were aware of the fabrication errors, did you say "because it's all discussed at length on a thread on the Houzz kitchens forum"? I bet that would prompt some hasty phone calls to corporate.

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well I did put a link to this thread on Dupont's Corian facebook page, but I got not response there. Maybe they read it. Anyway, they did the right thing in the end, and I am satisfied. This new fabricator did a much nicer job overall than the previous one. It would have been nice if Dupont pointed out the fabrication errors themselves when they looked at all the pictures they took rather than denying the claim due to heat damage. All I wanted was my cracks fixed, but I ended up with a whole kitchen replacement. Maybe they are concerned that other counters made by this fabricator in my area have the same issues? Hopefully now that they are aware of this situation they will be able to be on the lookout for this in other claims. I will be very careful never to put anything hot on my new Corian.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

In all fairness to DuPont, they've covered obvious customer abuse under warranty for me previously, but I suppose they don't want that getting out either.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Pictures please, especially of the corner so that we can better understand what the radius difference looks like.

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are some pictures of the new counter. Notice how much larger the radius is and also the underlayment change.

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

Looks wonderful, thanks for the pics. :)

rjpjnk47 thanked ghostlyvision
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Looks beautiful! Thanks for posting.

rjpjnk47 thanked practigal
  • cupofkindnessgw
    7 years ago

Gorgeous! What color was your old corian and is that the same color you have now? We installed Vanilla Corian in 2004 and have the same beveled edges as your former countertops. We have noticed a slight seam shift and dirt causes it to show at times. We never put hot pots down without a trivet and our crock pot sits on the cooktop. But we never heard any warning against hot items on Corian either. We have noticed some stress cracks around our integrated Corian sink around the disposal drain. Anyway, o grateful for the outcome that your have experienced. Thanks too to Joseph for having this highly informative discussion on the record for the rest of us.

rjpjnk47 thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks. The color is called Glacier White and it is the same color we had originally. I know what you mean about not hearing that hot pots is a no-no. We never heard anything about this at all from the home center (Lowes) or the installers. It wasn't until we noticed rings that we figured we better not do it. You have to actually read the warranty info in order to find out that hot pots are bad. It should me more obvious. Btw, Dupont's warranty examiner also told us not to pour hot water in the sink either. So no dumping the spaghetti pot! Corian cannot handle this.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

If you hit the disposal with the hot pasta water, no harm will come to Corian, but you can't say that so they tell you to run water in the sink as you're draining.

• vegasrenie
    7 years ago

Great thread! I've decided on Corian (the actual Corian brand since everything I've read have said that it's the best in durability and longevity which is why it costs more) and like to know the problems ahead of time. I love the look and prefer the larger radius on the inside corner. I am currently removing ceramic 4x4 tile from the countertop and was wondering if I should leave the plywood (or replace it with plywood if the mortar doesn't come up) or should I depend on the abilities of the fabricator to do the right thing? I will have either a stainless or granite undermount, by the way. I'm going a restaurant kitchen type vibe and prefer the more industrial looking sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

vegasrenie:

Corian's patent expired many years ago. Livingstone is virtually identical. The reason Corian costs more is you're paying for the brand name.

You must remove the old tops completely. Corian cannot be installed over full underlayment or the warranty is void. Strip underlayment only. Solid underlayment holds heat.

Please consider the Karran Edge series line of sink, stainless or quartz. No silicone, no gap, no reveal, no crud.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I would never give up my Corian integrated sink! It's simply the best! My KD says he thinks it's the best sink made, too.

• rjpjnk47
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The integrated sink was the main reason we upgraded our counter top in the first place. My wife just loves it.

• vegasrenie
    7 years ago

Thank you, Joseph Corlett! I've already ordered samples and found a local fabricator. I'll report here on my progress.

Oh! I forgot! I've already chosen a stainless steel sink *by another manufacturer* who makes low-divider doubles. I prefer two drains and like the idea of a lower divider which still gives me room for sheet pans and pots/pans with long handles (think copper).

• jakkom
    7 years ago

Thank you as always, Joseph, for being so generous with your expertise and time. I know so many of us here appreciate and value your contributions!

• K Hesse
    6 years ago

Hi Joseph,
    We are leaning towards a solid surface counter for our new build. I see that you say Livingstone is nearly identical to Corian. My builder said he has used Wilsonart's Gibralter. Do you have any feedback on that product? I'm not sure if it is even called that anymore as their website doesn't seem to use that name.

Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

K Hesse:

I think Gibralter used to be Wilsonart's polyester/acrylic mix which they've discontinued to go all acrylic. Their solid surface products are fine; get the color you like regardless of the major manufacturer.

• K Hesse
    6 years ago

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

• Brad Tankersley
    6 years ago

Sad? It's sad that the homeowners didn't follow the instructions to the letter. They obviously knew better. All it takes is one time with ALL these countertops. A least they admitted their mistake. Anything with heat, even a crock pot can potentially do long lasting damage.

Get over it.

• Carolyn Lee
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just found this thread having bought my condo with these flaws hidden from me in the staging process. According to my fabricator who came today to measure for new ones, countertops installed between 2001-2003 with DuPont Corian were subject to those "explosive" cracks and was part of a class action lawsuit. I had one major one with displacement and a smaller one. My fabricator said the surface was too thin to begin with. I'm purchasing Hi-Mac's this time but thought it was interesting to share.

• vegasrenie
    5 years ago

Thanks for sharing. While I ended up granite, the only reason I did not go with solid surface is because of the explosive cracks problem. If I had dug a little deeper, I would have learned about the class-action suit and the dates involved. Good to know.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Carolyn:

Your fabricator is mistaking DuPont Corian for Wilsonart Solid Surface Veneer. Corian has been around for 50 years with no class action lawsuits to my knowledge, however, SSV did have a class action lawsuit settlement and in fact I even made a few claims for customers.

Corian used to come in 3/4" thickness, but by 2003 was only available in 1/2". SSV was 1/8" thick, so your fabricator was correct in his diagnosis that it was too thin.

Let's not let the mistakes of one company besmirch the reputation of another.

More [here[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/worst-ssv-failure-ive-ever-seen-dsvw-vd~4632134).

• Stepehen Billiar
    5 years ago

We have had almost the exact same issue with our corian. The builder wouldn't even come to check it only went by the pictures we sent. Then blamed it all on something "very hot" had to do that! I can tell you now, it did not. There is also a large dip or warp over the dishwasher. When we pulled it out there is absolutely no heat barrier or insulation to protect the corian. The installer also never sealed the sink basin. Which we found out the hard way when our sink overflowed. The installer/builder takes no blame Won't even come to look or tell us what we can do. There is a ten year warranty on the corian, we've been fighting this for over two years now. The ten year warranty will be up in September of this year. What can we do???

• User
    5 years ago

If it is actual Corian, and not a knockoff, contact Corian with your information and to start a claim. You should be able to read the slab information visible from the interior of your cabinets.

It's always fabricator error. Fabricator error is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty, but they may choose to assist you in some way. The only remedy to fabricator error is the integrity of your fabricator, and the power of getting decertified and cut off from Corian. It sounds as though your fabricator doesn't have integrity and doesn't fear being decertified.

• HU-587273708
    4 years ago

Wow, what a story and I am so glad that they did the right thing in the end. I have Corian in white which is nearly 40 years old. It is still in great condition. It does overlay the dishwasher which has never been a heat problem. It also abuts the gas stove which has the very hot self cleaning feature. Again , never a problem. Clearly yours was made or installed improperly to crack like that. The material is excellent. It does not really " stain ". If you dye Easter eggs or children spill red juice it will come out very easily with Barkeeper's friend or Bon Ami with no obvious problems with the finish. Of course mine is white. A darker color might not be so bleach-able. I love it. I would not change it.

• Cindy Ella Charming
    3 years ago

Who do I contact? My counter exploded last night. There was nothing on top.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Cindy:

Pictures please; not too close up.

• Shane Traveller
    3 years ago

Here’s mine. Cracked for no reason whatsoever. Not even near a place where anything hot was ever placed. It just...cracked.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Shane:

Corian and lots of other solid surfaces don't just spontaneously crack. There has to be a reason. As a Certified Corina Fabricator and Installer and a manufacturer warranty agent, I can help you figure this out if you post a few pictures.

• Brad Tankersley
    3 years ago

As a retired 4th Generation Oklahoma Builder, last one left in a 126 year old family business, whose been involved with over 60 MILLION dollars of Construction Residential and Commercial over 50 years, you are full a crap. They can ALL crack unexpectedly ANY TIME for various reasons. Usually it is stress during YOUR so called installation, that shows up later. You are certified all right, lol.

• Jenny Tilburg
    2 years ago

So this happened! Cooking on a griddle this evening in my new home... the griddle has feet that holds it a few inches from the counter top....never in 30 years have I ever experienced something like this.... I am so shocked this countertop cracked like this!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Jenny:

Fortunately, your top can be repaired inconspicuously.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.