mathazin

Tile suggestion for fireplace surround

mathazin
11 years ago
Help! We are trying to choose tiles/granite slab/stones for our fireplace. The surround wall and hearth extends a bit more than 12ft. TV will be mounted above. As you can see, we haven't painted the wall above either so please feel free to include it in the design. There are a couple of options we are considering.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The option in the right photo would provide a more contemporary feel.

custom fireplace · More Info

Curated Home · More Info
  • PRO
    Interni Now
    11 years ago
    white marble it's the best in this case. it soo elegant and very rare. ;)
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Black Granite engraved tiles will give you bold look.
  • PRO
    Jay Bennett Interiors
    11 years ago
    Paint interior wall Kilim Beige by Sherwin Williams.... I use this paint color on all of my design jobs and clients LOVE it!!!
    Linear white or creamy marble for tv wall and hearth. Linear is the key word to get a dramatic yet contemporary look. Good luck on your project.
  • reginafalange
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
    11 years ago
    Yes, on your 4th sample photo!
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 years ago
    My choice would be Brazilian Black Slate (Montauk Black) http://www.marblewarehouse.com/servlet/the-630/Brazilian-Black-%28-Montauk/Detail

I would use 12x24" tiles and lay them in rows vertically (not brick pattern) It is dark, but not black, and the TV will not stand out by being a big black hole on the wall. I would also consider putting the stone on that entire section of the wall, all the way up to the ceiling...straight up from the fireplace left edge.

Regarding wall color, choose it LAST..after you have chosen furniture and rugs and drapery. Buy paint samples, paint poster boards, move around room day & night then decide what color you want. If you show us furniture..we can give suggestions.
  • ktiquet
    11 years ago
    Yes the picture #4 is the best and will work with a ton of colors I think a warm grey would look great!
  • PRO
    Noble Pro Painting
    11 years ago
    I like the tile in your last picture. The flow of smoother tiles is going to give you a more elegant contemporary feel. Either go light or dark...light stone with lighter color veins or a charcoal tile with medium-to-dark veins. Beautiful!
  • PRO
    dk architects, inc.
    11 years ago
    I like the light colored marble tile it contrasts with your darker floor. I agree with others that you should do narrow long tiles with tight grout joints. I would extend the mantel beyond the edge of the fireplace opening under the tv location. I would also look at lowering your tv.
  • PRO
    dk architects, inc.
    11 years ago
    Another option would be to do a light material on the hearth, mantle, and vertical frame and a contrasting black on the portion in plane of the wall. I noticed the hearth will stick out past the wall on the end, you should consider pulling the hearth back so that the finish material dies into the wall rather than protruding past.
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    11 years ago
    Here's a similar project we did, clad in man-made solid-surfacing (a quartz based material - non-combustible):

Monolithic modern fireplace · More Info
  • https://twitter.com/JusticeWillett/statu https://twitter.com/JusticeWillett/statu
    7 years ago
    please find a screen larger to be able to see the art work
  • Mark
    7 years ago

I like the second tile. I would do the whole wall above as well and add a mantle to match the flooring. Hope this gives you an idea. :)

• thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago
    Mark this is from 2013.
  • Mark
    7 years ago

Yes, you are right. Too early, I need to pay closer attention to dates.:)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.