cocolori

Backyard bench & gate - time to add some colour?

cocolori
8 years ago

We've just finished getting rid of the massive amounts of gravel from my victorian terrace back yard. Now the weather is improving I can start to get out there and make other changes.

You can see from the photo that I've got a very brown bench which needs some tender loving care and a boring back gate. Anybody got any great colour suggestions? I want something cheerful but not too bright. It's south-south-west facing so in summer it does get sunshine despite the other houses and the kitchen.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Patience Designs Studio Ltd
    8 years ago

Hi there,

how about some pastel tones, such that there is colour but no so bold. Can the right hand boundary wall be painted to make a backdrop, maybe in a white or off white?

Best Wishes

Sam

• cocolori
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Portcullis - sage green seems really popular at the moment which is why I think my contrariness is telling me to go for something different! It also doesn't help with giving colour during the winter months much but on the other hand there's a reason it's so popular!

@Patience - thanks for the suggestions. I don't think of myself as a pastel person much but I can see how it would solve some problems like not noticeably fading like bolder colours would. Re. the boundary wall - I'm reluctant to paint it as it's going to have loads of plants in front when I get my pots - it's where the sun shines and I don't like the look of painted bricks much.

Thanks for the suggestions - some food for thought!

• PRO
    Jane Harries Garden Designs
    7 years ago

I'd paint the bench but not sure of the gate as you don't want to focus on the gate but on the plants. Perhaps green? Not pale as would stand out. However, what about the concrete floor? Maybe big terracotta and black diamonds.. or just terracotta. I agree about the brick wall, it's a nice feature.

• PRO
    Deborah Fielding Interior Design
    7 years ago

How about a neutral paint colour for the gate and bench, it will brighten the whole area and then you can add seasonal colour with plants and flowers.

• Lauren
    7 years ago

Personally I really love sage green outdoors too - it always ties in beautifully with the surrounding greenery. But if thats not really your bag then how about something a bit more french bistro inspired? Shades of soft blue or turquoise?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.