olitest70

Mixing Singaporean style with Scandinavian - how!?

Oli O
8 years ago

I've just moved in with my boyfriend. He loves Scandinavian style, I love Singaporean - so we're trying to mix the two in our first home together!

Any advice on how to mix the two styles? They're quite different so we're finding it difficult!

Thanks Houzz SG!

Boyfriends Style -

LIVING · More Info

Sengkang East Way · More Info

My Style -

City Chic, Singapore · More Info

University Road · More Info

Comments (5)

• Sage Vanderwood
    8 years ago

I love both styles- If it were me, I would keep it mainly minimal ( Scandi) and incorporate beautiful stand out Singapore pieces to give it more character! Good luck!

• pompom_
    8 years ago

I would say mix the two and you'll get a beautiful eclectic room with lots of personality. OR if that's not an option, maybe have themed rooms and split your apartment evenly. Good luck! Keep us posted with photos if you can :)

• PRO
    Best Lighting SG
    8 years ago

Stick to lighter wood tones with your singapore choices, if you can, that way any softer and beech or oak Scandi elements should fit right in.

• PRO
    HipVan
    8 years ago

For your Singaporean style, if you choose from within the more minimal colour palettes e.g. blacks, whites, greys, light wood it would also fit right in with your boyfriend's Scandinavian theme. It would be a good marriage of tastes that will come out very tasteful!

• Vera Fiorina
    7 years ago
    you can mainly go for Scandinavian and the touch of Singapore can be through arts, accent pieces...say cushions with peranakan tiles, etc.. It also depends on how big your space is. Scandinavian style tends to work well on small to medium sized space as it is clean and uncluttered. the Singapore style or oriental style can be pretty "heavy " when the proportion and composition are not balance.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.