toughtown

1/2 brick 1/2 siding garrison -time for a new exterior

toughtown
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We recently purchased our first home, a real fixer-upper in the northeast. We removed the overgrown landscaping and are now ready to replace the cedar shakes and roof. We thought we'd have plenty of time to decide on colors, but the contractor had a schedule change and is starting next week. Eek!

We want to keep the brick. I want to paint the the brick and foundation white and use a blueish/gray vinyl shake with white trim and gray roof. My husband wants a brown roof. He wants to replace the shutters and I want to remove them altogether. Thoughts?

We agree on the following: replace the storm doors, front light (we like the nautical lantern look), mailbox, and remove the antenna.
I would like to build a porch from the front door to the laundry/mud room, but it's not in the budget right now. We will replace the walkway and stairs when we do the porch.

Comments (11)

• toughtown
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good point about maintaining the painted brick. I like the weathered look of painted brick (pictured below) and am ready for the upkeep.

Whole house remodel, Silver Spring MD · More Info

• Carol Singletary
    8 years ago
    I don't think this picture is of painted brick. I can't remember the name of the process, but it is more of a stain or white wash. I know there are people here who know what this is called.
  • User
    8 years ago

You have a small portion of brick so I think I would white wash the brick;) How about some cedar shingles with olive drab trim?

Side of house · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

I would remove the fence.

• PRO
    Deborah Roides Interior Design
    8 years ago
    I would consider pairing it all one color so you don't chop it up and I vote for black shutters
    https://magnoliamarket.com/our-show/episode-08-the-shingle-shack/
  • toughtown
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes - staining the brick white, rather than a total paint job. What do you think about a white stain, blue shakes, and gray roof?

Margocorp - While the olive trim is nice, it's too much like my childhood home! It's hard to tell from the photos, but the fence doesn't fully enclose the yard. We have young kids, so enclosing the yard is also on the list.

• User
    8 years ago

Bad memories lol? I keed...

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

I think the photo of "painted" brick is actually lime washed brick. The photo below is a house with brick like yours and they've used gray shakes. Looks like they've added some stained cedar on the upstairs, which you could do with your shutters.

Project in process down the shore! · More Info

• toughtown
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Deborah Roides Interior Design. Do you think blue is too much? Or, should we go with a more subdued color like a taupe or gray?

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Gray would be my choice, especially if you get your gray roof.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.