robrory1

Tiny internal cloakroom

robrory1
8 years ago
We are in the process of fitting out our tiny, internal en-suite cloakroom - I've no windows. I would like to use a very pale pink emulsion and wondered if Camomile by F and B would be a good colour. It will only have artificial light from a central 3 light fitting and an illuminated mirror, so hopefully it will be well lit. The fittings are to be white gloss and paintwork white egg-shell. I thought perhaps a white, rubber Lino for the floor. Would I have to use an undercoat because the walls at the moment are a darkish plum colour. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (16)

• Ruth Corbet
    8 years ago
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I have used a similiar hint of pink colour in two of my rooms. However, I use it next to strong cool colours to take the sting out of them; primary red in the sitting room and aqua green in the bathroom.

My thought is on its own it will be a bit insipid, against white paint work, floor and fittings. Although bright colours in towels etc might save it and it will be easy to paint over if you don't like. Good luck
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

Why not use a wallpaper? Next has a lovely paper, http://www.next.co.uk/x579194s4#104927 , which looks like a grass paper or silk dupion. A paper like this one or one with an open pattern, http://4-id-shop.co.uk/shop/harlequin-anoushka-jolie-stripe-wallpaper/ would add interest to the small space without making the walls close in.

Also, a vinyl floor, perhaps with a stone effect would be less ultra modern than rubber.

Good luck.

• robrory1
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much for both suggestions. Perhaps I am playing it too safe! I couldn't have stripes though as there is not one straight wall in the tiny space!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello robrory1,

Yes there are some fabulous papers to be had.. What about including the wood work in the colour (if you stick with paint) you choose? Wall hung sink and loo could give the space more flow and a feeling of more size.. I like the idea of a rubber flooring.. Dalsouple are a fantastic company and if you want to consider Linoleum then Sinclair Till is favoured... So you could paint a pink of your choice to go with a paper up to a dado height and then paper to the picture rail height (you may not have them but its for the height!) Then paint above in white along with the ceiling..

I have moved the pink idea on to a Coral for my suggestion...

: ))

This is the new Coral from the Curio range at Cole & Son

Then a paint like Coral Flair from Dulux as it happens.. Mixing more expensive with the less expensive gives you a fabulous way of styling your home.. With both sitting beautifully together! So a matt emulsion and a small eggshell for the wood work! : ))

Flooring... Can't get more stylish than them! Also a subtle design such as this marbled effect is better for a smaller area spatially!

http://www.sinclairtill.co.uk/range/3/3243

• PRO
    Victoria Soloviev Interior Designer
    8 years ago

Mosaic or tile effect vinyl flooring would look more stylish and is far more practical than one colour floor, especially for the cloakroom. There is wide choice of colours and styles. I attached few examples below.

If your walls are not straight I would suggest using very small pattern or even possibly 3-D effect washable wallpaper rather than paint. I have included few pictures where I used only wallpaper for the walls.
    Luxury Penthouse with Outside Spaces, Westminster, London, UK · More Info

Two Bedroom Apartment, Moscow, Russia · More Info

Luxury Penthouse with Outside Spaces, Westminster, London, UK · More Info

Please make sure your chosen flooring, wallpaper and splash back above the sink work together as one scheme.

Good luck with your project!

Victoria

• Wee Sooz
    8 years ago

A pale colour would help brighten the room, but if it's well lit, you could possibly go a bit bolder. I have seen a similar cloakroom painted in a damson and it's lovely. Grey might also be an option? Very popular just now and lots of shades to choose from :)

• robrory1
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks to all for taking time to give advice. I am beginning to think I have been too conservative! I like the idea of painting woodwork and walls in the same shade and bringing down the white from the ceiling onto the walls at picture rail height (I have this at the moment do will probably stick with that). I think also I could be a bit more adventurous with the floor covering.
    I had wanted wall hung furniture but was advised that as the walls are partition walls it would be best to go for floor standing units. We have gone for Bathstore Myplan units which I think are quite a streamlined style and not fussy for this small space.
  • Pat Auld
    8 years ago
    I think your original suggestion sounds lovely. Then you can add accessories in either a darker pink/raspberry or a midnight blue. Not sure what the white rubber for is like. Is it textured? If so would look very fresh and clean
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Fabulous robrory1,

Enjoy it.. I have just seen there's an oak range in your chosen Myplan which you could perhaps paint if you wanted the units to blend with any wall colour.. : ))

• robrory1
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks - we have chosen a white gloss finish for the units.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Ah yes robrory1, then my suggestions perhaps wouldn't work as white is best with white if in a smaller area.. So I'd then suggest white for your flooring.. You could change the dulux coral suggestion to white and stick with a paper above.. With the ceiling as you have it and as I suggested this would work nicely too. Then you could add faux coral as accents! : ))

• robrory1
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks AJ ... lots to think about now for such a small space!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Most welcome robrory1, : ))

• robrory1
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I find small spaces much more challenging. I just hope at the end of it all I can have somewhere to put my makeup and see to put it on!!
  • Adele Davies
    8 years ago
    I love the vinyls and the wallpaper ideas. It has to be light though.. It's an internal room with no windows so if you choose to paint the pale, antique pink sounds really nice. And have a mirror cut to size for the sink wall and sides.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.